What size for Component-less

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OKLAHOMAN

How long of a blank do you need for most componet-less pens,for both barrels, the clip final and the section? I'm importing rods and most pen blanks are cut 5 1/2 inches but for you component-less makers I need to know what size your looking for.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Although it may be inconvenient for suppliers, I always prefer to buy materials as long as possible, at least 1/2 meter and even better 1 meter. I never know how much I'm going to use of any given material and whether a particular pen will be made of all one material so i like to cut off what I need. If the pen is all one material, and I'm going to make both barrels, the section, a finial and blind cap, usually 10 inches will do.

glycerine

Like Bruce said, I would suggest you either sell them as full length rods
OR
if someone wants smaller lengths, then possibly price them by the inch and they can tell you have many inches they want...

Would these rods happen to be ebonite?!?! :)

soligen

Depends on the design, but I would say 6" is the absolute minimum provided the section is from a different material. If making the section from the same material without the need to pattern match between cap an body, then I use two 5" blanks. If I need to match the pattern and make the section, then 9".

For the worthless wood pens of mine that I know you have seen, the WW cast was 6.5" with a second 3" blank poured from the same mix st the same time for the section.

So, where does all this lead? I think a 10" blank is the best bet for generic usefulness - it can be used to make 2 kit pens or 1 kitless, with just a little bit extra for an "oops", and allows for a pattern matched cap/body if needed/desired.

BigShed

When I use a bought blank, usually use my own cast, I buy at least 3. This gives me enough material to make 2 pens. Of course that is assuming that the whole pen is made from the one material, which is not always the case.

The suggestion on longer rods is a good one, but our Oz postal people have a limit of 1 metre on the length of parcels, so 3ft or 900mm seems a good target.

bitshird

I had a pretty good Pen Maker tell me it took, or he was comfortable with a blank 7 inches, even Cebloplast It worked great except the one he had to do two sections on and then the third was bang on!! and I happened to have some serpent rod left.

Texatdurango

If I had to select one size, I would use a 7" blank for the cap and lower body and since I make 95% of my upper and lower finials and section from the same material, 3" blanks are perfect for them!

If I could buy in 21" rods, I would have 3 pens from each rod or 7 section/finial sets.

OKLAHOMAN

So George for shipping purposes would 21inch rods work for you pre cut to 7 inches as a small flatrate box is 8 1/2 inches long?

Texatdurango

So George for shipping purposes would 21inch rods work for you pre cut to 7 inches as a small flatrate box is 8 1/2 inches long?
Yes! Right now I make all my pens from blanks I cast in those walmart round ice cube molds and they are 3.2" long. So technically I could get by with a 6.5" blank but if I had 7" blanks to start with, I wouldn't have to be so careful when sawing one in two pieces.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Roy, for what it is worth. I don't know how your sales divide up by region of the country but I have a LOT of customers in TX. Shipping to Texas and other nearby states via USPS, you might find that just Priority Mail is not much more or even cheaper than the small flat rate box. I often send to ajoining states in regular priority mail rather than the Small Flat rate box.

Tom_W

Roy,

USPS Small Flat rate boxes are the way to go for international shipping (UK at least) - they are fast though UK customs :) and protect the contents well.

I would rather buy stuff in lengths that fitted in these boxes and more of it, than pay the increased postage (sometimes signifiant) to USPS - and it works out better for you as well :)

Last edited:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Are you looking for a length so you can pre-cut the rods to keep in stock ? I don't think you will get one size that suits all.
How about selling per inch?

Top Bottom