What other "kits" do you use?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

What other products do you make from "kits"?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
When I did shows, I had a few other products, for me it was Kaleggoscopes, other kaleidoscopes, desk magnifier, mag glass (hand held), letter openers, pill boxes, peppermills (and a few salt).

So, what do YOU make from kits, besides pens?

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OKLAHOMAN

In the curcuit I used to sell in I couldn't get in 90% of the shows with any of the other merchandise listed. You need to be know for doing one thing and doing it well at art shows. I couldn't sell a $500-$1,000 pen if I had a shoe horn on the table. At craft shows a completely different story.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Well, I can say I sold a number of pen and letter opener combinations.

I can also say I suspect fewer than 5% of IAP members are selling in art shows.

OOPS

My poll answer would be "none of the above." There's so much to learn about pen turning, with so many different types of wood, acrylics, etc. that I think its better to stay focused on them for the time being.

beck3906

Then why have a forum for other things we make? It's nice to see the other things. The poll is to ask what else you sell.

This is the International Association of Penturners :tongue:

For myself, I don't indeed to offer anything other the pens for sale in the foreseeable future.

AK

Andrew_K99

Then why have a forum for other things we make? It's nice to see the other things. The poll is to ask what else you sell.

This is the International Association of Penturners :tongue:

For myself, I don't indeed to offer anything other the pens for sale in the foreseeable future.

AK

My response was sarcastic in nature, hopefully made obvious by the :tongue:

I imagine most turners venture into other things at some point like bowls, vases, boxes, or any of the above mentioned projects. This is evident by what is posted in 'Other things we make'.

I, maybe mistakenly, took Ed's question to be about items you make with the intent to sell, and for me that is just pens.

AK

Last edited:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I do a few key rings, 7mm and Secret compartment. I've done letter oppeners, roach holders (bracelet assist) and bottle stoppers (Ruth Niles). I don't do much to sell but I have sold all of the above items.

As you'll see in another thread - I also do bird houses - a few of which I have sold. Also I've made a lot of cottage furnature and I have sold some of that. I also have a house full of those two things.

Last edited:

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
A few stainless steel bottle stoppers - pointy bottom, silicone ring. Made a few that were not stainless and they corroded pretty fast.

mrcook4570

Of products which require components (other than pens), I only make bottle stoppers of the Ruth Niles SS variety. When I first started doing shows, I made quite a few of the items on the list. Since then, I have learned to stay away from the crafty and gimmicky items. I just could not sell them for a price that afforded me any profit.

BSea

Key Rings: So far I've only done the secret compartment key rings. But Mine are a little shorter because I've used cigar barrels where I've made errors. Those errors make really nice key rings.

Bottle Stoppers: Ruth Niles only so far. And I'll probably stick with them since they are stainless.

Other things. Bottle openers, x-acto knives. And a few other odds & ends.

bitshird

Ed, I sell alot of the secrets, key rings. I also have Ruth's Stainless stoppers as well as a few from Bill Baumbeck and some of the cheap Silicone ones from PSI.

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Please keep adding to the poll and comments. So far, we have added a couple products to one order (we will see them in October). But, this is the best way I can think of to know what you would USE.

Thanks!!!
Ed

jzerger

Just started making some duck calls (4 so far...I cheated and used Echo inserts...they're for gifts). It's hard to find 1.5"x1.5" blanks at most "pen" suppliers (Tim at WoodnWhimsies has recently added some). I will likely make predominantly pens since I have a thing for them. I've made a few bottle stoppers and letter openers as well upon request.

Top Bottom