What nib platingdo you want

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

What nib plating's do you prefer

• Total voters

OKLAHOMAN

Looks like we have to make some changes with Bock. Quantities have been increased and we are now thinking that it's time to rethink what we stock in nibs.
We sell Gilded gold 5 to 1 over polished but do have customers that like some silver on the nib. We are thinking that to satisfy most of all customers we can drop all gilded gold and polished nibs and carry all sizes in both 5MM and 6MM in two tome gilded and polished.

If we carry all three plating's in 3 sizes XF,F,M in both 5MM and 6MM to give you the best price we need to buy 18,000 nibs vs buying all three sizes in both 5 and 6 MM we could buy just 6,000 nibs which would be almost 2 years worth and a difference in inventory cost of over $50,000. So do you all want:

1- 5 and 6 MM only gilded in extra fine, fine and medium
2- 5 and 6 MM only polished in extra fine, fine and medium
3- 5 and 6 MM only Two Tone gilded and polished in extra fine, fine and medium.
Click Photo for larger view
DSC_0019-001.JPG

Let us know your feelings so we can make our decision that most pleases you our customer

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OKLAHOMAN

Bobby, back when I sold on the art circuit, the only nib we used for upgrading was the Heritance which was at that time sold and imported by my friend Lou Metcalf and it was a two tone nib. This was before I started Classic Nib and imported the Bock nib. Bock was the reason Dee and I started Classic Nib and Lou was going to partner with us before he had his stroke. BTW I spoke with him just last week and he is doing fine and might...I say might join Dee and I in Virginia at the MAPG in May for at least dinner one night. For those of you that have been around for a while Lou know here as DCBluesman was a virtual fountain of knowledge when it came to fountain pens.

Roy, in your time selling fine fountain pens... many I imagine... what did you find customers preferred?

wood-of-1kind

Glad to hear that Lou is getting getter. Please extend my greetings to him when you and Dee meet up with him in May. We do miss Mr. Metcalf with his presence here and the wealth of knowledge that he used to provide us with.

Kindest regards to all.

OKLAHOMAN

The poll has been up for 2 1/5 days and only 13 votes, Guys I need your input to make this decision. If it's left up to Dee and I it will be all two tone.

OKLAHOMAN

Bobby, there will be a slight price difference between the Gilded, polished and the two tone with the two tone being about $1 to $1.50 higher but in my mind it will actually be cheaper than you having to stock both the gilded for your ti gold or gold plated pens and polished for your Rhodium or Chrome pens, you would only need to stock the two tone which would go with both and in my opinion looks way better.

Dan Masshardt

Bobby, there will be a slight price difference between the Gilded, polished and the two tone with the two tone being about $1 to $1.50 higher but in my mind it will actually be cheaper than you having to stock both the gilded for your ti gold or gold plated pens and polished for your Rhodium or Chrome pens, you would only need to stock the two tone which would go with both and in my opinion looks way better.

Voted.

I'm just starting to get into making fountain pens but will be a buyer in the near future going forward.

Your argumentation here makes perfect sense to me. I think all the nib types look good but the two tone is the best look for me all around.

OKLAHOMAN

So far two tone has over 80% of the vote but we only have had 26 total votes, I will leave this up a little longer and bump it to see if we can get more votes.

Mr Vic

Voted...
My two cents worth...on a sterling silver, gun metal or black titanium trimmed out pen the polished nib is the way to go... Any combo with gold and the two tone wins...

Roy maybe add pics of each for voters to see the difference

Curly

I asked the question in the other thread. How hard would it be to polish off the gold to make a polished steel version from the solid or two tone nib? If easy then that would make my answer easier.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I just walked out in the shop and buffed off a gold gilded one to polished steel.
IT comes right off. Im using 6 inch stitched yellow buff with white diamond and follow up with a 6 inch loose muslim buff with a polishing rouge. Running 3450rpm
I did just the top, you would have to use a hand piece with a small buff in it to get the bottom,
about a minute tops.

Sorry, just saw this thread and voted. I'm really just getting started with custom fountain pens and hope to do more in the near future. As others have said, thanks for considering our opinions. Too bad more haven't voted!

Top Bottom