What do you want in Tru-Stone Blanks?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I am negotiating with R T Research, the manufacturer of Tru-Stone, to become a reseller of Tru-Stone blanks. They would sell me large blocks of Pliable Tru-Stone, I would cut it to size, and plan on selling exclusivly to IAP members. Before I invest in some blocks I have some questions for the IAP membership:
1. What colors would you like to see offered? They now offer over 120 colors.
2. What sizes do you forsee buying, 1" X 1" X 6", 3/4" X 3/4" X 5", 5/8" X 5/8" X 5", or stopper size? Or some other size? Larger? Smaller?
3. What would be a fair cost to you per blank?
4. Would you buy seconds? These are usually no different than first runs; sometimes the blocks are smaller, rough edges, off colors, etc.

To those who have bought from me before, I now cut the Tru-Stone with a carbide band saw blade. This cuts much smoother, leaves no white residue, and the true color shows through.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Karl_99

I use a lot of black with gold matrix and bloody basin red jasper, but also use other colors
I prefer at least 7/8" sq x 5"
$10 or less per blank is good
I do buy seconds and have not had issues with them.

Dan Masshardt

3/4" or 7/8"

The web patterns- white, black, turquoise. That banded malachite is cool too.

Price - a little bit cheaper than the others. ;-)

Seconds fine - shorts fine. Just so long as I know what I'm getting.

OOPS

So far I have only used Banded Azurite Malachite, and Malachite. The Banded Azurite Malachite used to be easy to find, but lately I have not found it available at other dealers. I might experiment with others in the future. My friends often use Pink Coral too.

As to price, make it competitive with the others. I hope this helps.

Marnat3

I second the pink coral. The turquoise has always caught my eye also. Something in the marble or onyx family would be cool too.
Seconds and halves are fine as long as I know that's what I'm getting.

carlmorrell

DinoBone

Attachments

• shaveset.jpg
    shaveset.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 201

plano_harry

red/gold, black/gold, mex agate, pink coral, malachite, bloody jasper. I would do a lot more if the price were lower. 3/4 x 5 is fine for starters. Seconds ok, shorts ok

SteveG

Verasite is a very nice color, always gets attention at the sales table. It is a multi-color blank. Some seconds I have purchased (not knowing I was getting seconds) were a mono color, and looked really cheap...almost worth nothing more than a toss into the trash. When it is good, it is great, when it is not good, it is pure cr@p!!

Last edited:
I do what I think is quite a bit of Tru-Stone. The red Jasper (Bloody Basin) is a real good seller, as are most of the green web styles (Verasite, Chrysocolla, Imperial Jade, etc). Banded Malachite is a seller. Love the Sodalite but have trouble getting it. Wild Horse Jasper and White Buffalo make great higher end pens. Black w/gold web or white web are good options for a classy pen.

OK, I got a good feeling about the colors, and sizes, and price.
Would you be willing to pay a little more for me to have it on hand or would you rather save some by having to wait while I order a special color, cut it up, and then have to ship it to you?
Larger blocks for boxes are doable, they will obviously just cost more. They sell Tru-Stone by the pound!
How do you feel about pre-tubed?

Depends on what "a little more" is. If it's a buck additional or more per 3/4 x 3/4 x 5 blank, then I'd pass. But I guess it depends on what the cost per blank is. If it still winds up significantly less expensinve (including shipping, etc) than others, I'd give it a try.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the relationship part of this. Many of us here (myself included) have been doing business with folk like Ed & Dawn (Exotic Blanks) for quite a while. You do business with them and you (I) feel like my order is the only one they have for today. A hand written "thank you" and a freebie every now and then isn't something the accontants can measure (and I'm an engineer!) but it has brought me back to them time after time. Get my drift?

Not trying to throw a wet blanket on it, just being realistic. If it was easy, a lot more folk would be doing it.

Last edited:

OOPS

Since you have an idea of the most popular colors already, then maybe you should start by stocking them first, then add a new color each month, perhaps at a discount. It would get people coming to your website each month and encourage repeat orders as people try the new blank you've offered.

If you don't have enough capital to stock a dozen or more colors all at once, then I am not sure if offering a pre-tubed blank is a great idea. You need volume orders, and with low margins, you need to get them out quickly without a lot of fuss with each one. Can you imagine how much extra time it would be if I ordered ten blanks, for instance and wanted---two cigars, three Executives, a Roman Harvest, an Art Deco and the rest left undrilled! You'd pull your hair out within a month. And due to the cost per blank, you would really need the cash in order to pre-drill blanks and have them sitting on the shelf.

Just my two cents.

Last edited:

brownsfn2

When you go to their website the colors for the pliable tru-stone are fewer than the list of colors that other pen blank sites have. Why is that?

Also buying seconds does not always work out. There can be voids in the material or patterns missing.

Karl_99

I can't imagine pre-drilled blanks...Sometimes I buy TruStone or other blanks just to have some one hand, but I am not sure what it will become at that moment.

OK, so pre-drilled and tubed blanks are OUT! Keeping a varity of colors is a must. Customer service is going to be at the top of my concerns, that why I wanted to ask these questions first.
The RT Research website and catalog do not show everything they offer. ALL COLORS are available in pliable! Large blocks may be available (6" X 6" X 6" for small boxes).
Any seconds I would sell would be clearly marketed as such, with characteristics noted.
Any other thoughts, desires form IAP members would be GREATLY APPREACIATED! All input so far is leading me to press forward to offering Tru-Stone blanks for sale at the best prices I can offer.

rblakemore

OK, good morning. Still a new pen turner (how long can I claim that??) and to the IAP; but, I like a lot and use black/gold matrix, white/gold matrix, maroon/gold matrix, turquoise - both black and gold matrix, blue lapis, blue azurite, and GREEN BANDED MALACHITE ( I may need several of these soon for a client). I will definitely use a member over a large online company, just a little more competitive for cost is all that I ask.

BSea

For size, I almost never buy anything anymore that isn't at least 3/4" x 5 1/4". I like to make closed ended pens with custom cap finials. and 5 1/4" in length is the absolute minimum to get this done.

My 2 current favorite colors are banded malachite, and mexican agate.

Boss302

I generally buy my Tru-Stone directly from RT Research without the added cost of the middle man. When I just need a few individual pieces, I like the service of R & B Crafts. Once I establish a good business relationship with someone, I tend to stay with them even if I can get the same product at a slightly lower price. If you're selling the same sizes and same colors it might be hard to break into the market. With that said, there's nothing wrong with a little competition, so good luck with your business.

walshjp17

I like 3/4" square x 5 1/4" long for most of my work, but I do like the occasional 1" square blanks for larger kits (Panache and Sr. series come to mind).

rblakemore

When will you be ready??

I just had to order several green malachite pen blanks and they were a bit difficult to find. Seems most folks are out!!
I am looking for, mainly:
1. Green banded malachite
2. Black and gold web
3. White and gold web
4. Maroon and gold web
5. Chrysocolla
6. Blue Charoite (sp??)

Top Bottom