What do you want....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I would like to put an open invitation out there to all members and visitors to share your ideas on what you would like to see for new pen designs ( Metal parts ) or any product,item or gadget that would make live easier.

I will put the money and time behind it to develop the products and then make it available to all and it will be MADE IN THE USA and no middle man will be involved. Manufacturing will be done on my Swiss CNC at the Alpharetta, GA location.

This offer is also for individuals and companies who would like to have a custom/exclusive design that will only available to them. They will have all the rights to that design. There will be minimum quantity requirements and conditions.

Remember not all ideas will become products but please feel free to post here,phone or pm me with your ideas and suggestions.

If you want to send a drawing of a concept or an idea please send an email to idea@lazerlinez.com

Last edited:

SDB777

I'd like to see an affordable convertible kit available. Easy on the 'bling' and still pleasing to the eye.

Now I know made in the USA and affordable don't really go hand-in-hand...but I can dream.

Scott (bling covers up a lot of mistakes though) B

warthog

Let me start this thing out by saying that I think your products are great. I just wish I could afford to do more of them. I would like to see something with a "Fishermans" motiff on it...something to do with fishing. You have hunting down pretty good. Or you could do something that has either turkey tracks or deer tracks on them. Make black barrels and have the tracks in either bright red or orange. Or you could do a white barrel and have the MIA/POW emblem in black on it. You could take this one step further by putting the Viet Nam service medal on one side and the MIA/POW emblem on the other side. I kind of think that any of these would sell.

I also think that "Made in the USA" and the word "affordable" can go hand in hand.

Now I know made in the USA and affordable don't really go hand-in-hand...but I can dream.

That is about to change, the Made in the USA kits that will be available from me would be priced in the mid $20 to low $30 for two piece kits and $15 - mid $20 for the single Barrel kits.

The new kits will available retailers who can buy at wholesale price.

My goal is to have 10 new kits by the end of the year. All made in the USA. I have and are still busy to streamline the process to make it very competitive with the other kits available.
All refills, nibs, and mechanisms will be Schmidt or Bock in Germany - nibs

SCR0LL3R

I really look forward to having so many new styles to choose from and made in USA to boot!

Since you are planning to make so many new styles, I would like to see a more slender fountain pen/rollerball. Slimmer than Jr Gents and Barons. Perhaps the diameter of CSUSA's Americana (or thereabouts). There seems to be very little selection in that size. I don't know if it's because there generally isn't enough interest or because people just don't like the currently available choices. I would think since many people (especially women) prefer the size of a slimline or streamline, perhaps a smaller diameter rollerball/fountain would appeal more to them than the Baron, Sedona and Jr. Gent sized pens.

(And preferably no pens that you have to cut tenons on or leave part of the brass tube exposed) :)

Last edited:

chrisk

Hi Constant,
I'd like to see a dedicated and as slim as possible click pencil with the Schmidt 2006 or 2007 pencil mechanism.

SteveG

I request a selection of clips that are well suited for "hidden clip" mounting configuration. Also these same style clips to be mounted so the ring will show, with a selection of finish diameters offered. High end plating. I am looking forward to all that will be forthcoming! I believe our trade (or hobby or profession or obsession) is about to take a major leap forward. Thanks too many!
Steve

tokyotank

Ideas

How about the big auto maker logos ie: Chevy, Ford , Dodge , BOP ( Buick, Olds Pontiac)anything car related. Here in California cars shows are year round and people are running tops down almost year round. A fellow could get into the car shows and sell some pens in between craft shows.

tokyotank

Also and I'm not sure about Trademark legalities and all but what about a full complement of NBA, MLB, NHL, NFL, and I know you have a few but maybe all of the state flags. Just a thought. Thanks again

Penl8the

Constant,

I would like to see more "postable (threaded) cap" pen kits, in ballpoint, rollerball and fountain pens.

On the single barrel pens, I prefer finial twist over the Wall Street/Sierra style.
That is, providing that your going to produce twist pens.

The single barrel kit will have a Finial twist mechanism from Schmidt and it will be available in a pencil and pen kit. They will look identical and the pencil and refill will be interchangeable. Good improvement for the pen pencil sets.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
Constant - No need for you to spend money on this. It's a perfect use for the free Market Research forum. I've moved your thread there, and I'll refund your thread purchase credit.

witz1976

Logos

How about the big auto maker logos ie: Chevy, Ford , Dodge , BOP ( Buick, Olds Pontiac)anything car related. .....

The likely hood that Constant or any pen manufacturer to create a pen with a logo from the Automakers or Professional team, heck even companies like McDonalds & Google is going to be slim to none. Mostly because these companies guard the right to use their logo with lock and key. Granted Constant may ask for the right to use their logo, however he would have to pay big $$$ for the right to use the logo then a royality fee for each kit he sold. Which would make these kits exceptionally high.

Now, here is a solution if you want to make Chevy pens. Considering how Constant mentioned he would be willing to create a custom pen specifically for a client there could be a loophole around the legality issues. Should he market to a dealership to sell the dealership hand made pens with the Chevy logo for instance and obtain permission for the Dealer or someone high in the dealership chain to give permission to use the logo for that specific usage, then yes he Constant can legally create the pen however it would have to be specifically used for the dealership.

Of course double check with your local laws however here in Maine that is how I am able to produce logos for large Corporations.

toddlajoie

I'll second the want for clips that can be used for closed end/hidden clip designs, and I do really like that rolling clip that was posted.

Another thing I think could open up "kitless" work (but I'm aware of you making a "kit" for doing it making it not "kitless" anymore) would be a set of threaded components that could be entirely sunk into the hollowed out wood of the cap so when threaded together, the cap wood and body wood meet together with no centerband. If you could make that, and then sell the threaded set, and separately sell rollerball and fountain nibs that would thread into the internals of the body, it would make a very versatile component set that would allow nearly limitless pen variations, as the final dimensions of the pen would be open to interpretation...

I am with the thinner foutain pens. The thinnest "quality" pen that I know of is the Electra, which has a lot of bling and could still be thinner. I would like the option of not having to convince my female customers that the Electra is actually a good choice! :biggrin: So, a slimer fountain pen/rollerball with good plating options, and maybe both bling and non-bling. Thats my 2 cents! Thanks for asking, and I can't wait to see what you come out with!

Sincerely,
David

butchf18a

First allow me to offer my appreciation and kudos for your fine kits. Esspecially the USMC emblem.

I would be prepared to assist you in the developement of a Naval Aviators wings pen inlay kit. Similar to your aviator wings, yet using Naval Aviator wings. I for one would sell them by the dozens, as I'm sure many others would as well.

OOPS

One of the most frustrating things I see reported over and over is the failure of click mechanisms to work reliably and have a longevity that compliments the rest of the pen. I wrote Richard Greenwald and learned that high-end click mechanisms exist, but need to be threaded into the pen, which to me is trading one problem for another! If there was any way you could design a press-in carrier so that we could easily substitute the stock mechanism for an upgraded mechanism, it would be met enthusiastically.

Others have commented on the slimmer pens. I really like the feel of the Woodcraft Retro, as its drilled with a 9 mm bit. While most cannot appreciate the style of the pen, the writing comfort is impressive.

I hear two frequent complaints about the Wall St. 2/ Sierra style of pen. People have problems holding the nib end, either to write or when twisting the pen. The nib end is so smooth that you can't get a good grip, or so many say. (apparently the Virage is an attempt to rectify this, but I am not sure its sufficient.) I prefer finial twist pens too. But I am wondering if a Wall St. 2/Sierra could be made with several fine horizontal rings along the nib end to improve the grip-ability of the pen?

I noticed that you have received many good suggestions. Now you have my 2 cents too. Let me know when you need more ideas! Thanks for the opportunity to share.

I am with the thinner foutain pens. The thinnest "quality" pen that I know of is the Electra, which has a lot of bling and could still be thinner. I would like the option of not having to convince my female customers that the Electra is actually a good choice! :biggrin: So, a slimer fountain pen/rollerball with good plating options, and maybe both bling and non-bling. Thats my 2 cents! Thanks for asking, and I can't wait to see what you come out with!

Sincerely,
David

To do the thinner pens up to a point is fine but the cost of making versus the selling price is important to make it as a made in the USA kit.
Slimline pen parts gets made on a different type of machine that has 6 or more heads that move/rotate to different stations with cutters,drills or burnishing heads. They can make a finished part in a 2 - 4 sec all day long.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Click

I join the crowd that would like a reliable click pen kit. I think it's ironic that I can get 50 cent promotional pens with clickers that work reliably for as long as the pen lasts with thousands or tens of thousands of clicks (sometimes I play with them just to see if I can break them) while we pay dollars and dollars for click kits where the clicker works for 5 clicks, 5 minutes or 5 miles down the road, whichever comes first.

parawood

I would also like to see an improved click pen. I would also like to see a motorcycle theme be developed. I feel they would sell well.

Karl

gbpens

A slender, light fountain pen would be great. I know that sounds like a kitless pen, but there should be some way to cut down on the metal to reduce the weight.

bitshird

I'm like every one else, I'd like a good quality click pencil, one that matched a Fountain pen or even a Roller Ball would be wonderful. To really twist your head the pen should post,, and still look like the pencil.

Sorry Constant, but you know I just want the world, and I want it last week :biggrin:

Sincerely,
David

To do the thinner pens up to a point is fine but the cost of making versus the selling price is important to make it as a made in the USA kit.
Slimline pen parts gets made on a different type of machine that has 6 or more heads that move/rotate to different stations with cutters,drills or burnishing heads. They can make a finished part in a 2 - 4 sec all day long.

Constant,
I definitely see your point. I think the main idea that I was heading for was a thinner fountain/ rollerball than the Electra, but not as slim as the slimline. I was thinking along the lines of the Streamline American over at Berea. A nice, quality kit in between. Anyway, that is what I was trying to say. Thanks for taking everyone's ideas!

Sincerely,
David

Last edited:

Woodlvr

Like Ken said, I would also like to see a click pencil kit but with 3mm lead, but not be as bulky as the workshop pen kit.

I too would like to see a thinner fountain pen. Something that wouldn't weigh down a shirt pocket. Not silmline thin just a smaller tube than 3/8.
Maybe a group of pens the same size but different styles so you could switch parts around.
The other issue I have is people pulling the threads out of the caps. except for magnetic caps not sure of an easy solution to that.

Top Bottom