• 20 Pens - 2 Rows of 10

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • 30 Pens - 3 Rows of 10

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • 40 Pens - 4 Rows of 10

Votes: 9 32.1%
  • More than 40 pens / more than 4 rows

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Tony, you have way too much time on your hands - go make a pen :)

Votes: 6 21.4%

• Total voters

TonyL

Recently, some much more talented guys presented some very handsome display cases.

I want one or several that I can wall-mount, and easily access each pen without worrying about the others falling out.
I like also like it to serve as wall art.

Anyway, I found a guy with a CNC machine (and former penturner) that will make me a foam (but velvet flocked) insert that can be fit into any case that I choose. I was thinking about going on line or Michaels, HL etc. and finding a nice display case and providing him with the dimensions. From those dimensions he will make me the insert. Each fluted slot will tilt back far enough to allow the pen to stand vertically but not fall forward. Anyway, he is going to make me a prototype (that I am going to pay for). I was wondering if anyone would have a similar interest and if so, to hold how many pens. Remember, this is to be mounted on a wall with wooded sides and a frame glass door (or I guess you can use it any way you want). I don't make any money off of your purchase or anything like that. But if I knew folks had an interest in a certain size or capacity, I would look for a case to suit the majority of votes. I chose denominations on 10 per row to keep the voting (if any simple) . It may be 10, 8, or 12 per row.

You can select more than one - try to limit it to two please.

Anyway, thanks for reading and voting.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skie_M

I'ld say it might be very very nice if he could provide the inserts in long lengths so that one could buy the length they want or need and cut to fit for their application.

Say ... 10-slot, 12-slot, 24-slot, 36-slot ... :)

TonyL

Even better!

I just want to try one and see if it works, but I don't see why he can't make one size and we cut the length and width. We just don't want any "orphaned" slots. or mess-up the flocking. Anyway...going to the shop to prep two pens. :)

dthayer

I voted for 20 mainly because I just started this hobby and don't have enough to even fill that! :wink: Seriously, though, I think smaller would be better so that a single pen doesn't get lost in the masses and then have multiple cases if need be. I also like the idea of cutting them to fit, though.

Last edited:

TonyL

I called the guy back up. He said the material that he uses doesn't let itself to cutting it yourself. I can give all his number and you can have him cut whatever you want. I am also sure there are other folks with a CNC that can do this. Also, I am sure there are guys that will use different materials that do make it easier or perhaps, designed to cut. I/we will see. He mentioned some material that another guy sells, invented, etc., but didn't think it would lend itself as well.
Here's where to find the guy I contacted:

Contact Us
I simply started Googling, Etsy , Amazon searching etc, and calling people.

Skie_M

Hmm ... a velvet flocked foam that doesn't lend itself to cutting??

I've got a ceramic knife laying about that's willing to take that challenge and fillet it out boneless.

TonyL

I was thinking of this or something like this:

16" x 20" Rustic Barnwood Shadow Box | Hobby Lobby | 956003
Hmm ... a velvet flocked foam that doesn't lend itself to cutting??

Gregory, I know nothing about flocking (other than a year ago someone asked me if my Christmas tree was flocked...now I think I know : -) . Add to that my ignorance of foam, plastics, velvet, cabinets, wood, cooking BBQ, knives, and all that could fit in the 90% of my brain that I don't use.

If you want, call him, and discuss it with him. I am merely parroting what he says. I am sure many will benefit from what you learn and share.

Folks, I am going to buy a case, have the guy make me an insert, and hang some pens on my wall..maybe a few walls.

Skie_M

If I'm remembering rightly, flocking involves taking a base substrate - in this case some kind of foam, possibly a dense one, but I know of no foam that would resist clean cutting with a ceramic blade, and you coat it with a layer of adhesive ... spray or brushed on. Then, you take some fine material that nearly resembles a powder or short strands and layer it on the material, brushing away the excess to give you a soft non-abrasive surface to showcase your work on. You can do the same with sheets of velvet.

In any case, some types of foam don't like being cut with a dull blade. Styrofoam is one example. If your blade isn't extremely sharp, you'll have little balls of foam tearing out and leaving a horrible mess. Imagine trying to cut styrofoam with a band saw or a table saw?

But a ceramic blade is far sharper than metal, and harder as well, so it should have no problems cutting that insert down to size.

GaryMGg

I'm not sure I'd want to hang a lot of nice pens in a photo frame from a hobby store.
My expectation is the miters aren't reinforced and won't hold up to the weight.
If it were me, I'd want the wall hanging to have solid joinery; thus, either dovetails, box-joints, or mortise and tenon for the rear of the case, and half-lap miters or miters with slip-feathers for the front.
Here's a case I made which sits flat where you can see the reinforced miters:
1_curlyMapleCase1.jpg

Here's one I made with flocking and a painted edge:
1_trayFlocking1.jpg

Here's an example of an artist-made wall hanging pen display case:
Wave Pen Cabinet by Huw Edwrads-Jones - Maple Ebony & Ivory Wood - Sable & Ox
:biggrin:

jttheclockman

Gary I like the way you think. We both have the same taste in woods I see. Shown this in the other thread about display cabinets.

cornermiters.jpg

Top Bottom