Thoughts on a new 'slimline'

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
What would your thoughts be on a slimline (more likelu comfort which is essentially a slimline with a larger diameter center band) with a little bigger tip and cap, to leave a little more meat on the blank when through turning.

Not so big as to eliminate the approach taper but big enough to be a little more forgiving on the ends of the barrels reducing the possibility of damage and opening up (I think) the possibility of even more useful materials for slimlines.

Maybe it already exists and I just don't know about it?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
You mean like a Comfort without the rubber grip, or maybe even like a Slimline Pro?
I now make comforts without the rubber grip -- I am talking about (say) a comfort with a slightly larger diameter tip and cap but retaining the 7mm tube and still using a cross refill.

Perhaps like a slimline pro with a smaller tube and set to take a 7mm tube and a cross refill.

southernclay

I'm reading it sort of like a fatline but with slightly larger cap and tip/nib end? Pretty cool idea, I really like the way the fatlines look and feel.

Cmiles1985

I like the thought of a thicker Cross-style pen, and I've been asked on several occasions if I can make such a thing. Maybe closer to 0.390 at cap and nib and 0.440 in the center??

OLDMAN5050

Passed Away May 15, 2019
In Memoriam
I like the Creekline as it is .. Can make them with or without the center-band. the nib size and the cap size are perfect. A slimline with a larger cap would be good but leave the nib as it is... just my thoughts.

BSea

The euro/designer has a larger diameter nosecone and clip/finial. You could simply pair them up with the remaining parts from a slimline kit and substitute a larger diameter centerband.

I like this idea except for the finial on the Euro. I'd rather it be a slimline style finial, just a bit larger in diameter. And I don't know what cost the centerband adds, but if it was even 25 cents, it would be nice to have an option for no centerband. I never use them anymore.

walshjp17

So, if I am gauging this correctly, are you asking about a pen that would have nib and cap dimensions somewhere between a Slimline and a Cigar but leaning closer to the dimensions of a Slimline and looking like a Slimline?

Krash

Hey, since a lot of us toss the slimline center band so we can work the profile unencumbered, how about a line of bushings of various diameters that we could sandwich and support a built-up center band or use as a variable step down from the upper to lower sections? I envision these would be simple cylinders of varying thicknesses you could buy in a set.

Maybe you already have these but your discussion just brought this to mind.

Top Bottom