A Thank you or a Discount

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

A Thank you gift or a discount

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bitshird

I really liked the last gift, it was a real treat , something I had not expected at all. I think just leaving the gift thing is nice, the discount certificate isn't a bad idea, because most of us will be back regardless, but the gifts are a nice surprise, and in today's world we all need a nice surprise!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I usually do that

Not saying that 'free' is a good idea, Smitty - just a 5.80 pr even -5.00 reduction, perhaps...

(and to clarify - I'm not trying to sound like I'm whining - just an observation in the spirit of this thread with the Canadian perspective on how to increase sales!) :)
I do that. I charge Canadians about $7-$8 for SFB if it is a free shipping to the USA item.

MartinPens

What a great thread!
If the prices remain competitive, I really like the surprise that comes in the box. Kind of reminds me of the crackerjacks! How many of those crackerjacks boxes or cereals did I buy because I was excited about the prize.
On one of my last orders I, very surprised, received a bottle of thin CA! And what timing! I was low on thin CA and then the nozzle snapped off and it was a hassle - but I was saved by the surprise in the order.
Discount codes are always nice - but there's just something kind of personal/special about the surprise in the box.
I vote for keeping it fun! If everything were pure marketing and business - it would take all the fun out of it.

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

navycop

I choose the discount. You mentioned you gave wood blanks to wood users and acrylic to acrylic users. I would perfer a discount to apply to a kit. Or if I was a wood user use the discount to purchase an acrylic to try and vise versa.

firewhatfire

O.K. I have read em all and still have not voted. Here is my thought and yes I have gotten freebie gifts and appreciated everyone of them. Just to give another idea for you to ponder over.

Why not set up a a page to chose your gift.

If you spend $50 pick from these 3 items, If you spend $100 pick from these 3 items.

It offers a freebie type with a choice of what you get. I know I made a order that broke a certain amount when the freebie was certian blank that I know I would not otherwise be able to buy.

Thanks by the way.

ctubbs

Roy, a "Thank You" gift is just that, a gift. A discount code or Gift Cert is a "Your business is appreciated but to ever get the real thanks, you just gotta spend some more here" statement, in my not so humble opinion. What ever you or any other vendor sees fit to include along with the order is thankfully accepted and I know that this order was appreciated regardless of size of order. That is my $0.10 worth on the subject. ($0.02 corrected for inflation)
Charles

Last edited:
I'm with Martin - this is a great thread! I'm with the folk that like the "surprise" thing. And I don't mind if it means the cost of the order was a wee bit higher because of it. I've gotten several blanks that way. One was something I never would have picked. I put it on a decent pen kit and got an amazing pen. Go figure. Try something "out of the box". And "thanks for the 'free' gift".

OKLAHOMAN

So Andrew if I was to give free shipping as a promotion to my US customer (which I charge $5 no matter how smal or big the order is) you in the great north would be happy if I gave you the $5 off, I don't see that as a problem so consider it done. :biggrin:

If you want to get Canadian customers - offer free shipping....that's something we NEVER seem to get.

I really get bored with the billion emails in my account saying 'free shipping on EVERY order'...but it never applies to Canadians. Even just a small discount in the amount of what the free shipping is saving the Americans would be nice...

Food for thought! :)

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
I think it is fine as is. If I thought the prices were too inflated because of the "free" gift, I would choose a different vendor to shop with. If I determine the advertised pricewas what I was willing to pay and then I get an "extra" in the box, great. At that point I would consider it "free" as I got what I wanted at a price I agreed to pay.

Andrew_K99

... The part we do not have control over is what the Canadain government charges for duties, brokerage fees and GSTs which they collect at the time of delivery from the recipient.
I have yet to be charged any additional fee on any of my orders from the US. Large orders may draw attension but my orders are typically $50-$150.

Any shipping advantage for us in Canada is a GREAT incentive!

AK

Justturnin

I voted gift because I think anything "extra" would/should be appreciated by the recipient. I dont like the GC becasue it forces you to order again to use it and if you order like me that could be months or longer and then it is forgotten about.

When I post my small amount of blanks here I always try to give away some "extra" to fill the box. It is usually 1 or more depending on the size of the order and room in the box and a variety of woods (still refining my casts) different than what they order and if I can dig it up different than previous orders.

terryf

Personally I would prefer the lowest possible price rather than any of the three options. If its the lowest price it will generally get the most business with the odd exception.

The reason I say this is because I have customs to contend with. When the value is $150 I pay between 45 and 50 in duty. Approximately 33-40% depending on how the Customs Official classifies it, so the lower the cost, the lower the duty, the easier on the pocket.

That said, if I was in the States I would have answered the "thank you gift". The odd little surprise is always nice but heres a suggestion...

How about allowing customers to choose their gift - ie. if spending between 50 and 100 you can have one out of these possible choices, 101 to 150 pick two out of the following choices etc. Perhaps create a seperate gift page with codes to enter at checkout.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Not necessarily

I voted gift because I think anything "extra" would/should be appreciated by the recipient. I dont like the GC becasue it forces you to order again to use it and if you order like me that could be months or longer and then it is forgotten about.

When I post my small amount of blanks here I always try to give away some "extra" to fill the box. It is usually 1 or more depending on the size of the order and room in the box and a variety of woods (still refining my casts) different than what they order and if I can dig it up different than previous orders.
When I do that I give a store credit....you get that on your next order whether you remember it or not. You do have to order again, but I usually only give them to regulars that I think will order again anyway. Otherwise if I think a customer deserves something I process a partial refund against their order.

OKLAHOMAN

So far to keep it as it is with a "Thank You Gift" 3 to 1 over a discount and 5 to 1 over change the "Thank You Gift" to banks only. But lots of good info for me to sort.

WHSKYrvr1

Roy,
From my perspective as a customer, Is The thank you gift is though your many sales and specials through the IAP. Good service is thank you enough!

Doug

Last edited:

Andrew_K99

I'd imagine the 'thank you' is preffered as it doesn't require future purchases from you (or any vendor). It may encourage future purchases (by leaving a nice feeling with the buyer) but it doesn't require it to get something.

How about free shipping (incl. Canada), 10% off and a freebie :biggrin: Fine print: Minimum $500 order

AK

Last edited:

edicehouse

I have ordered boxes from you 2 times. The first time I got a different case that you had which I appreciated. The second time I did not recieve anything extra, and was not let down.

IMO I would say something off the wall would be cool. If someone only makes wood blanks and you send an acrylic for free, there is a story they have if they make that pen. I do agree with what someone else said, if you get what you ordered at the agreed upon price, there should be no complaints though. (I still like free stuff)

Justturnin

Otherwise if I think a customer deserves something I process a partial refund against their order.

I have benifited from this on your site and I see that right up there w/ the Random Gift. I would be just as thrilled to open the box and find a Blank, Kit, Bit, Glue, Pen Sleve or what ever. I makes me remember You as a seller when it come time to order more kits.

OKLAHOMAN

Just befor I go broke!

LOL Andrew I promise that for every $500 order you make you'll get free shipping, a 10% discount and a "Thank You Gift".:wink:

How about free shipping (incl. Canada), 10% off and a freebie :biggrin: Fine print: Minimum $500 order

AK[/quote]

Justturnin

Personally I would prefer the lowest possible price rather than any of the three options. If its the lowest price it will generally get the most business with the odd exception.

The reason I say this is because I have customs to contend with. When the value is $150 I pay between 45 and 50 in duty. Approximately 33-40% depending on how the Customs Official classifies it, so the lower the cost, the lower the duty, the easier on the pocket.

That said, if I was in the States I would have answered the "thank you gift". The odd little surprise is always nice but heres a suggestion...

How about allowing customers to choose their gift - ie. if spending between 50 and 100 you can have one out of these possible choices, 101 to 150 pick two out of the following choices etc. Perhaps create a seperate gift page with codes to enter at checkout.

This is a fantastic point that I never considered. The free item kind of loses its luster when you have to come further out of pocket to pay customs for it. Maybe an "Over Seas Friend Discount" could be considered instead of a freebie. As far as pick your gift I feel that takes away from the sellers generosity and becomes an entitlement. I like when I am packing blanks and I look over and just grab a random burl to toss in and fill a void.

I think 100% it is the sellers choice as it is their expense. That said they could send a message to Over Seas Orders and say, "Hey, I was going to toss some freebies in there, would you prefer that or a discount"

Other than that I see is as my girls say it. "You get what you get and you dont throw a fit"

BSea

Freebie blanks are nice for new turners, but when you've got a year or more under your belt, you're liable to have more than you'll ever find time to turn. I've used 2 freebie blanks, and might use 1 or 2 more. But I'll bet I've received 25 or more since I started turning pens. I do appreciate the thought, but I'd much rather have discounted or free shipping. I do want to clarify that this is for vendors that sell pen kits and other things. For example, if I buy 5 burl blanks from someone that sells only wood, and the vendor throws in another just like it, or similar, then that's great. And I'm not counting those kind of freebies in the above 25.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I'd imagine the 'thank you' is preffered as it doesn't require future purchases from you (or any vendor). It may encourage future purchases (by leaving a nice feeling with the buyer) but it doesn't require it to get something.

AK

I realize this is tongue in cheek, we have done a lot of thinking on this subject. One aspect that is seldom mentioned: If you have a $500 order, you are also (VERY LIKELY) taking advantage of "quantity discounts" in the articles you are purchasing---so the prospective profit is already being shaved.

terryf

Chris

I hear what you're saying re the entitlement but it may certainly serve as an incentive to buy that little nit extra that you hadn't planned on buying to "make the next bracket" so to speak :biggrin:

I do agree though, freebies shouldn't be seen as a "must have" but rather as a "HEY THANKS, NICE EXTRA". The problem is that so many vendors are doing it now it sorta becomes expected anyways!!

I like your overseas friend idea!! :biggrin::biggrin:

This is a fantastic point that I never considered. The free item kind of loses its luster when you have to come further out of pocket to pay customs for it. Maybe an "Over Seas Friend Discount" could be considered instead of a freebie. As far as pick your gift I feel that takes away from the sellers generosity and becomes an entitlement. I like when I am packing blanks and I look over and just grab a random burl to toss in and fill a void.

I think 100% it is the sellers choice as it is their expense. That said they could send a message to Over Seas Orders and say, "Hey, I was going to toss some freebies in there, would you prefer that or a discount"

Other than that I see is as my girls say it. "You get what you get and you dont throw a fit"

OKLAHOMAN

Ed, thanks for your thoughts, we try our best to treat each order equal.

I have ordered boxes from you 2 times. The first time I got a different case that you had which I appreciated. The second time I did not recieve anything extra, and was not let down.

How this happen I don't know as we should put a THANK YOU in each order no matter how big or small.

IMO I would say something off the wall would be cool. If someone only makes wood blanks and you send an acrylic for free, there is a story they have if they make that pen. I do agree with what someone else said, if you get what you ordered at the agreed upon price, there should be no complaints though. (I still like free stuff)

Top Bottom