• no hole just 60 degree ends

Votes: 64 58.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
I'll be looking to buy a few set's. I was hoping to have a few TBC pens done by now. But I guess things done always work as we hope.

OKLAHOMAN

Order placed

The order is placed and we should have stock in 30 to 45 days, it looks like you want 60 degree recesses instead of a .248 hole through the bushing and that is what we will do. You speak we listen:biggrin:

PenMan1

I'll buy them either way. The ones I got from JohnnyCNC years ago are getting tired.

I would prefer them with 7mm holes, but I can drill holes in the few that I use that way. GOOD JOB! It's about time we have these back in the market place!

lorbay

I'll buy them either way. The ones I got from JohnnyCNC years ago are getting tired.

I would prefer them with 7mm holes, but I can drill holes in the few that I use that way. GOOD JOB! It's about time we have these back in the market place!

Has Johnny stopped making them since his mishap. .???
Linv

OKLAHOMAN

Lorbay, Johnny has always made terrific bushings but his other activities have slowed his making of them to almost a standstill, what we are trying to do is give a constant supply of TBC bushings. If Johnny was able to do this we would not , but the call for them has been overwhelmingly good to our entering the marketplace with them.

Charlie_W

Here are the bushing I will be ordering, if you have any that you think would be added to this list let me know here:
Sierra series,Elegant beauty,Aero,Art deco,Artist Sketch pencil,Bullet Cartridge twist, Bullet Cartridge Click,Cigar twist,Baron-Sodona,Zen,Vail,Jr series from CSUSA, Jr. Majestic, Full sized Gent-Statesman, full sized Majestic.

Does this include the Sierra Vista/Wall Street III?

OKLAHOMAN

Skippy, yes the 7MM hole also has a 60 degree recess, and frankly that's the way I would prefer but in the voting it's almost 3 to one with now drill through and just a 60 degree recess so we will do what the majority wants.

Roy, will the 7mm hole variant ALSO have the 60 deg? If so, then that surely would be the best option?
I would guess that if they don't have a through hole then the 60 deg variant would be made using a centre drill, ( leaving the pilot dimple) thus avoiding the tip of the centre from possibly bottoming out in the hole?
What material are you going to make them with?

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Skippy, yes the 7MM hole also has a 60 degree recess, and frankly that's the way I would prefer but in the voting it's almost 3 to one with now drill through and just a 60 degree recess so we will do what the majority wants.

Roy, will the 7mm hole variant ALSO have the 60 deg? If so, then that surely would be the best option?
I would guess that if they don't have a through hole then the 60 deg variant would be made using a centre drill, ( leaving the pilot dimple) thus avoiding the tip of the centre from possibly bottoming out in the hole?
It's not clear to me why, I've used both and both work equally well. While the drill through will have a little less gripping area, surely no one is thinking that's going to make a difference in the turning? Or in the amount of pressure needed for a good safe hold by the live center?

OKLAHOMAN

It's not clear to me why, I've used both and both work equally well. While the drill through will have a little less gripping area, surely no one is thinking that's going to make a difference in the turning? Or in the amount of pressure needed for a good safe hold by the live center?

LeRoy I totally agree that the through hole would not effect the turning as there is enough meat that the 60 degree recess is more than actually needed, but as been often said "When in Rome do as the Romans ask us to do" or something like that. :wink:
BTW as to why I would prefer the through hole, as a supplier I have customers that want accuracy in a better bushing that most imported bushing but do not TBC so this gives them the best of two worlds and when or if they do decide to try TBC they are tooled up with the proper bushings.

edstreet

The 'hole' removes approximately HALF the weight of the bushing. Also removes at least half, possibly more, structure strength of the bushing from outside forces. The 'hole' also removes the surface contact to the live center and dead center.

For some materials this may be workable but I can see a need for heftier work loads there could be problems.

Bushings with 60 degree and no thru hole & one with a thru hole.
TBC ( Turn Between Centers ) & MTBC ( Mandrel & Turn Between Centers)

Material is 303 Stainless steel

Bushing type is for the Executive Pen from PSI

60 Degree with No thru hole
Weight = 12.04 g
60 degree Surface area = .046 square inches

60 Degree with Thru Hole
Weight = 7.65 g
60 Degree surface area = .046 square inches

I agree less material will make a part weaker but for pen turning it would be insignificant.
There are many ways around the problem using different materials like tool steel or other, heat treatment of the materials but it all add cost to the product in many ways. Probably more than double or triple, but yes it can be done if the demand is there and people are willing to pay a higher price.

BTW All bushings using mandrels has holes thru them and that is what has been used for years. TBC & MTBC is an improvement on that with better quality materials and tighter tolerances.

Attachments

• Executive pen Bushing with No Thru Hole.jpg
    Executive pen Bushing with No Thru Hole.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 385
  • Executive pen Bushing with Thru Hole.jpg
    Executive pen Bushing with Thru Hole.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 319
Last edited:

kovalcik

Maybe the poll asked the wrong question. Maybe a better question is "Would you object to making the bushings MTBC?" Could be many TBC turners just don't envision ever using a mandrel again so voted with that in mind hence the 2+ to 1 split.

From Constant's pictures it does not seem that the bearing surface is a big issue either way due to the relief hole. As for the "structure strength" of the bushing, I don't think I would want to use a pen made from material that was heavy enough to cause a structural bushing failure!

//Geek alert
As far as the weight difference, that is pretty much a wash also since you are removing the mass from the center of the bushing. The mass at the center contributes much less to the angular momentum than the mass at the outer edge, so the net effect of the weight loss is much less thatn the actual weight difference. (Solving the integral to prove this is left as an exercise for the student.)
end Geek alert//

For full disclosure, I voted for the MTBC choice. I like to keep my options open. If most of the 45 voters would still buy the MTBC version plus you pick up the other 19 voters (using the current poll numbers) seems that would be a better solution for everybody.

Last edited:

OKLAHOMAN

The 'hole' removes approximately HALF the weight of the bushing. Also removes at least half, possibly more, structure strength of the bushing from outside forces. The 'hole' also removes the surface contact to the live center and dead center.

For some materials this may be workable but I can see a need for heftier work loads there could be problems.

Ed, point well taken if we were talking about a bolt on a back hoe stress factor but we're talking about the force it would take to bend, distort, or otherwise harm a bushing on a lathe making a pen blank round. These are made from 303/316 aircraft approved stainless steel. Sometimes we over think quality and strength in a product which can be good some times but not in this case. We can agree to disagree. See this post to also see that there is no difference in contact on the 60 Degree thru drilled and non drilled thru.
TBC Bushings are comming - Page 6 - International Association of Penturners

Dan Masshardt

What does the hole gain though for those turning between center?

The extra weight and grip surface may or may not make a real difference but I don't see a thing to be gained by having the hole through for those turning between centers

Personally I like overkill :) beefier the better!

Dan Masshardt

LeRoy I totally agree that the through hole would not effect the turning as there is enough meat that the 60 degree recess is more than actually needed, but as been often said "When in Rome do as the Romans ask us to do" or something like that. :wink: BTW as to why I would prefer the through hole, as a supplier I have customers that want accuracy in a better bushing that most imported bushing but do not TBC so this gives them the best of two worlds and when or if they do decide to try TBC they are tooled up with the proper bushings.

That is good reasoning It would make sense to offer those bushings especially for the kits you sell

What does the hole gain though for those turning between center?

The extra weight and grip surface may or may not make a real difference but I don't see a thing to be gained by having the hole through for those turning between centers

Personally I like overkill :) beefier the better!

That way we can serve both the people who want to use a mandrel and the once who just turn between centers.
Kill two birds with one stone:biggrin:

Dan Masshardt

That way we can serve both the people who want to use a mandrel and the once who just turn between centers. Kill two birds with one stone:biggrin:

I agree The question is, will mandrel turners who already have bushings buy these to continue mandrel turning? I'll guess the number is much less than those who want them for strictly tbc

It seems that first time bushing buyers would be the big target for the dual purpose bushings

These are all just hunches though I'm likely mistaken

All I know for sure is that I have no need for a hole through Yes, If I need one and the dual purpose is what's available, I would buy it

Roy -since you sell the Jr. Series, maybe run some of both for this series and see what sales do? That would give you an economic survey rather than just opinions without $$

OKLAHOMAN

Tom, great point on how I phrased the poll. You very well might be right as the numbers are now 70-30 where yesterday they were 40-11.

OKLAHOMAN

You have the right to change your mind.

Since the debate came up to the reasons for and against a thru hole, I'll ask this to the proponents of no thru hole. As we most agree that there is no real lost of strength in pen turning and the contact area on the 60 degree surface is the same would you object to the thru hole as this would give those that are looking for TBC and those that are mandrel turners but want a better bushing than what is supplied by our overseas manufactures. When I made the poll I should have had a third listing saying would you object to a bushing that suits both needs.

kovalcik

I like the MTBC option for a couple of reasons. Sometimes I just want to be able to see both barrels of a pen while turning to shape. Sometimes I have a pen on each lathe so one is TBC and the other is on a mandrel. Sometimes I am just lazy and decide to leave the mandrel set up. I personally do not see much difference between mandrel or TBC turning except in the quality of the bushings. My main reason to get the TBC bushings is for bushings with tighter tolerances than the standard imports whether I use them on a mandrel or between centers.

I think what it should come down to is that if the TBC only turners are not adversely affected by a mandrel hole and you could sell 30% to 50% more bushing sets by adding the hole, why wouldn't you? If it makes no difference quality wise, it makes more sense to provide a single, flexible solution than to ignore a portion of the market or to provide two redundant solutions.

Jim15

I change my vote from no hole to the ones that have a hole. I really had no reason other than the ones I have have no hole. When I think about it it makes sense to make them with the hole to accommodate both types of turners.

Dan Masshardt

1. I already have most of the bushings I need for the time being - I will prob still buy a couple sets.

2. In the interest of others, I will still buy with the hole, but I prefer no hole and would still vote that way for what I like most.

For comparison, here are Jr. Series bushings. One is Constants, the other Johnny's.

Interestingly, with the hole, the bushing contacts the center higher with the hole. Hopefully the picture show how much and where is the contact area. (This is not to prove any point, just an FYI.

Attachments

• image-734374016.jpg
    image-734374016.jpg
    437.9 KB · Views: 143
  • image-1460370663.jpg
    image-1460370663.jpg
    392.4 KB · Views: 139

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
1. I already have most of the bushings I need for the time being - I will prob still buy a couple sets.

2. In the interest of others, I will still buy with the hole, but I prefer no hole and would still vote that way for what I like most.

For comparison, here are Jr. Series bushings. One is Constants, the other Johnny's.

Interestingly, with the hole, the bushing contacts the center higher with the hole. Hopefully the picture show how much and where is the contact area. (This is not to prove any point, just an FYI.
Of course that is exactly what one would expect the point of the live center has a hole to go into and it will go in farther than if you have just a tiny point hole as John Goodin's do.

OKLAHOMAN

Actually Ed it makes no big difference as the 30% who voted a thru hole did for a reason, and the 70% who voted no thru hole did it because that's what they are used to and the way I framed the poll left them no other choice. As a vendor I think 99% of the voters who voted no thru hole would still buy them and all 30% who voted thru hole would also buy them, so the sound business decision would be to accommodate all at this point. We are going to keep the cost down as much as possible so making one style at this time would accommodate the most customers and help us have the lowest final price available. As always appreciate your input.

Dale Allen

Interestingly, with the hole, the bushing contacts the center higher with the hole. Hopefully the picture show how much and where is the contact area.

Well of course it will sit higher, or farther into, the 60 degree center. The hole is larger. It has nothing to do with the taper of the hole.
If you look closely at the one from John Goodin, it is drilled with a center bit. That is to make sure the point of the center never bottoms out.

I suspect that the ones made with the mandrel hole were purposely drilled deeper to give the extra contact surface.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

Interestingly, with the hole, the bushing contacts the center higher with the hole. Hopefully the picture show how much and where is the contact area.

Well of course it will sit higher, or farther into, the 60 degree center. The hole is larger. It has nothing to do with the taper of the hole.
If you look closely at the one from John Goodin, it is drilled with a center bit. That is to make sure the point of the center never bottoms out.

I suspect that the ones made with the mandrel hole were purposely drilled deeper to give the extra contact surface.
You are right. The live center is a cone - going into a slightly less than 7mm hole with a taper machined at the entrance, the live center has to go in until the diameter of the cone is equal to the diameter of the hole which should be when the cone contacts the tapered edge of the hole.

mywoodshopca

Charlottetown, PEI Canada, Derby Kansas and Canyon
Well, I have both constants and johnny's bushings. I do prefer them with the hole for the mandrel.

There is PLENTY of contact left on the 60s that the tip wouldn't matter that much IMO. I never read all the way through the threads past the first 1.5 pages, But I would love to upgrade all my bushings to 60s with a mandrel hole for some kits that I still want to turn the tubes together.

edstreet

Actually Ed it makes no big difference as the 30% who voted a thru hole did for a reason, and the 70% who voted no thru hole did it because that's what they are used to and the way I framed the poll left them no other choice. As a vendor I think 99% of the voters who voted no thru hole would still buy them and all 30% who voted thru hole would also buy them, so the sound business decision would be to accommodate all at this point. We are going to keep the cost down as much as possible so making one style at this time would accommodate the most customers and help us have the lowest final price available. As always appreciate your input.

Sorry, dont get offended but you are going with the hole regardless of what the 70% majority voted for? What was the point of having the vote in the first place other than a marketing ploy? Did I read that right?

Also one last question on this, been bugging me for a very long time now. What end user advantage is there to having a TBC bushing with a hole in the middle of it? I can think of no advantages at all from the end users standpoint. The only advantage I can think of is perhaps to push one product to multiple groups while skimping on machine time to increase profits.

OKLAHOMAN

Chris, I wish I could but the rules forbid me from doing another pole for a month and only 6 in a year.
Rules:
  • You may start one market research thread per month, six per year maximum
  • You may post up to five photos with your post or poll
  • Polls may run for a maximum of 10 days
  • Poll results may be hidden, but must be set to reveal when the poll closes
  • Do not reference competing products in your original question
  • Do not post links to outside web sites
  • Market research threads are closed in the same manner as for-sale threads; report the post
  • Market research threads are subject to closure after 30 days if prodctive input is essentially concluded

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

LeeR

My head is spinning over what actually is being proposed.

If the contact area is going to be the same for TBC and MTBC, then I don't care if you do MTBC bushings. In fact, I'd prefer it, since I now use a collet check with pen mandrel, and would do so for some pens, and acquire new bushings over time. My thought originally was that MTBC bushings would have less contact area.

BTW -- if anyone does not have a dead center, Amazon has carbide-tipped ones (Grizzly product, but stocked at Amazon). I just got one. Drilled out a set of bushings with a center drill and will try it out on my next pen.

Top Bottom