Drilled for mandrel use

• 7 MM hole through for mandrel use

Votes: 45 41.3%
  • no hole just 60 degree ends

Votes: 64 58.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

OKLAHOMAN

Didn't want to steal another thread here. We at Classic Nib within the next 30 days will be listing most of the bushings all are looking for. We have joined forces with Lazerlines and will become the exclusive distributor of all their products and we will be expanding their line of bushings to all the popular component sets. If you have a set you think we should have please let us know here, we will be placing our first order this week. Also do you want the bushings made with a 7MM hole so they can be used on a mandrel also or with just 60 degree drilled ends.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie_W

This is great Roy! I am doing a pen / CA demo at out woodturning club next week and now there will be a source with more bushings coming available.

60 degree for me!

toddlajoie

I thought I had seen a set that was done both ways, or is that too radical? May not be ideal on some of the smaller kits (7m obviously, but 8mm would have practically tin-foil left on the insert) but on the bigger kits I don't see why you couldn't drill the 7mm hole through AND still get a decent amount of 60 deg taper on the end...

Of course, it that were to significantly increase the price, then it may not be worth the effort...

Dan Masshardt

I thought I had seen a set that was done both ways, or is that too radical? May not be ideal on some of the smaller kits (7m obviously, but 8mm would have practically tin-foil left on the insert) but on the bigger kits I don't see why you couldn't drill the 7mm hole through AND still get a decent amount of 60 deg taper on the end... Of course, it that were to significantly increase the price, then it may not be worth the effort...

Laxerlinez bushings currently ave both. They are ok, but lower surface contact area.

toddlajoie

I turn quite a bit between centers with no bushings, just the 60 deg centers on the tube, without any significant problems, so I have to imagine that any amount of 60 deg taper on these bushings is going to have a huge amount of surface area by comparison...

I'm not 100% familiar with the intricacies of the 60 deg taper drilled in the bushings, but I would doubt that the tip of the centers is in much contact anyway, as any slight differences between the bushing and the center would then cause a wobble if the outer edge of the bushing did not stay firmly in contact with the bushing....

If it was Laserlinez that I remember seeing like this, I'm sure they would know far better than I would both the positive and negatives of this approach, but it seems all positive to me..

Last edited:

longbeard

I have and use both styles, i dont see a difference in either style. I also only use the bushings to get close to size then remove them and go directly between the centers, use calipers for final measurements.

Harry

Dan Masshardt

I turn quite a bit between centers with no bushings, just the 60 deg centers on the tube, without any significant problems, so I have to imagine that any amount of 60 deg taper on these bushings is going to have a huge amount of surface area by comparison... I'm not 100% familiar with the intricacies of the 60 deg taper drilled in the bushings, but I would doubt that the tip of the centers is in much contact anyway, as any slight differences between the bushing and the center would then cause a wobble if the outer edge of the bushing did not stay firmly in contact with the bushing.... If it was Laserlinez that I remember seeing like this, I'm sure they would know far better than I would both the positive and negatives of this approach, but it seems all positive to me..

I think it prob has more to do with dual functionality than better design.

I think more contact area is better and the best chance of proper alignment and maximum drive. I know tbc with no bushings works and stock bushings can work as well.

I like the lazerlinez bushings just fine, but I and many of the people I've talked with here prefer the bushings from penturners products - or that design rather. I find the quality of both to be good. It will be interesting to hear more feedback from other turners and see the poll.

Last edited:

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Roy, will the 7mm hole variant ALSO have the 60 deg? If so, then that surely would be the best option?
I would guess that if they don't have a through hole then the 60 deg variant would be made using a centre drill, ( leaving the pilot dimple) thus avoiding the tip of the centre from possibly bottoming out in the hole?
What material are you going to make them with?

Hi Roy that is great. I would like to see Fill Size Gent/Majestic/Statesman bushings, 3/8" bolt action, Aero and maybe Imperial.

So you will be carrying the entire Laserlinez products? Does that include the laser cut blanks and the old Marksman line of pen kits?

Thanks, Mike

Krudwig

I am new to this but have been turning between centers using the standard bushings with the 7mm hole except for slim lines ii use the mandrel. The idea of a 60 degree taper with the 7mm hole seams to be a great solution to me ! It should serve most everybody's needs with the exceptions of some. If you want both why not make the 7mm hole with the 60degree taper and the non hole 60 degree taper and everybody is happy!

edstreet

As said in the other poll on TBC bushings by numerous people etc it really depends heavily on design.

One other post that I did make recently on quality variations among manufactures was quite drastic and I do have more postings on that to update indicating weight and material differences. These can be very large differences and make a very big impact on life span and how they hold up among a good variety of other issues.

I would like to ask what is the hardness of these bushings?

OKLAHOMAN

Yes, I will be carrying the entire line including component sets and laser cut blanks.:biggrin: The bushings will be an exclusive Classic Nib product.
Hi Roy that is great. I would like to see Fill Size Gent/Majestic/Statesman bushings, 3/8" bolt action, Aero and maybe Imperial.

So you will be carrying the entire Laserlinez products? Does that include the laser cut blanks and the old Marksman line of pen kits?

Thanks, Mike

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Yes, I will be carrying the entire line including component sets and laser cut blanks.:biggrin: The bushings will be an exclusive Classic Nib product.

Thanks, Mike
Hmmmm....I don't intend to stop selling bushings for the Liberty Line that I currently market...

Dan Masshardt

Hmmmm....I don't intend to stop selling bushings for the Liberty Line that I currently market...

Woodcraft will have to carry bushings too if they continue to sell.

But if Roy carries TBC only bushings, He fill certainly be the only one carrying then from lazer linez.

This whole deal will add a huge product line. Very cool.

I don't know what products you consider to be in or outside if your business purpose, but I'd suggest that carrying dead and possibly high quality live centers would make it an easy stop to get outfitted with everything needed.

It wouldn't be bad to carry drill bits for the kits you sell either.

OKLAHOMAN

Let me clear something up. I will be the only distributor of bushings made for imported component sets, Lazerlinze will still carry the bushings for the stainless componens that he makes.

But if Roy carries TBC only bushings, He fill certainly be the only one carrying then from lazer linez.

I don't know what products you consider to be in or outside if your business purpose, but I'd suggest that carrying dead and possibly high quality live centers would make it an easy stop to get outfitted with everything needed.

The Liberty bushing are only TBC with a hole thru them there is no mandrel only same for the Desire. I think that R&B Crafts also carries the Laserlinez SS component sets and bushings.

Thanks Roy your last post cleared this up

Last edited:

OKLAHOMAN

Here are the bushing I will be ordering, if you have any that you think would be added to this list let me know here:
Sierra series,Elegant beauty,Aero,Art deco,Artist Sketch pencil,Bullet Cartridge twist, Bullet Cartridge Click,Cigar twist,Baron-Sodona,Zen,Vail,Jr series from CSUSA, Jr. Majestic, Full sized Gent-Statesman, full sized Majestic.

edstreet

May as well toss in the celtic, knights armor and victorian as well. With PSI selling 2,700 Victorian kits in 2 weeks time and another 9,000 kits on order there should be ample demand for bushings ....

One of those, forgot which one off hand, uses elegant beauty bushings.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

I was just saying you don't have to buy the kits from me and go elsewhere for bushings. I do.

The Lazerlinez bushings for the Liberty and Desire lines are duel purpose.

Last edited:

Dan Masshardt

Here are the bushing I will be ordering, if you have any that you think would be added to this list let me know here: Sierra series,Elegant beauty,Aero,Art deco,Artist Sketch pencil,Bullet Cartridge twist, Bullet Cartridge Click,Cigar twist,Baron-Sodona,Zen,Vail,Jr series from CSUSA, Jr. Majestic, Full sized Gent-Statesman, full sized Majestic.

I make and see many many more bolt actions that any other bullet pens.

Also, I feel as though you should consider carrying bushings for every kit that you sell - so roman harvest and pristina - unless you plan to stop carrying those kits.

I don't see very many Vails.

Otherwise, good list.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
For the PKCP80XX (standard bolt action) PSIs instructions list the bushing size - same for both bushings - as: Bushing 0.466 Shaft 0.433 the bushing PN is PKCP3000BU and they are also used for some of PSI's other Cartridge kits like 30 caliber bullet cartridge twist, mini 30 cal bolt action, and the longwood 30 caliber

Last edited:

MarkD

Here are the bushing I will be ordering, if you have any that you think would be added to this list let me know here:
Sierra series,Elegant beauty,Aero,Art deco,Artist Sketch pencil,Bullet Cartridge twist, Bullet Cartridge Click,Cigar twist,Baron-Sodona,Zen,Vail,Jr series from CSUSA, Jr. Majestic, Full sized Gent-Statesman, full sized Majestic.
How about bushings for the Majestic Squire and the Executive kits?

OKLAHOMAN

Mark, the Majestic squire is the same as the Art Deco so that is covered, I will give thought to the executives if enough call for them.
How about bushings for the Majestic Squire and the Executive kits?

walshjp17

I'd be interested in Stratus clicks (nice smooth mechanism) and Civil War Bullet Pens (assuming one or another of the ones you have decided to do already won't work).

OKLAHOMAN

Guy's and Gal's I will be sending Constance a list with sizes this evening so if anyone has the size for the slim, the bushing and the shaft let me know.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Top Bottom