Product Testers Wanted!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
CA Product Testers

As soon as I get PM's from the following people with their mailing address, I will forward the list to FastCap. I need ChrisD123, Philipf, DocHoliday, Ken69912001, Krudwig, Fordwakeman, Beancounter, and Wheelman to PM me with their mailing address.

Within 10 days (except the non-US participants) each of you should receive via UPS Ground a sample kit containing 2.25 oz bottles of: Thin, Medium, Thick, and Gel CA glues. Also included will be Activator and Debonder.

Once you get the CA kit, you will have up to 30 days to give me your comments and critiques.

Dan;
I've used the gel mainly when you need to be upside down, like when I put up crown molding. The gel does not run or drip at all! I can install crown in a customer's house without covering the floor with a drop cloth. The gel is more expensive, but for me well worth the extra money. They even offer it in a caulking tube for larger jobs, which makes it easier on my hands.

Dan Masshardt

So for gluing tubes thick is the way to go over gel? Thanks again for doing this, looking forward to trying out

That was my question. The web site seems to indicate that it is a 2 part system with the accelerator. Is the accelerator optional like regular ca or required like 2 part epoxy?

Last edited:
Sometimes you'll want to use the thick, and sometimes only gel will do. Only you can determine that.

Dan; This is a true CA Glue. You DO NOT HAVE TO USE THE ACTIVATOR! In fact when you do, be ready! It really speeds up the set time. Depending on the temperature and the viscosity you are using, set time with the activator can be as short as 5 seconds! Keep in mind, the warmer it is and the thinner viscosity you are using, the faster the set time. For those of us here in Texas, that means FAST!
I will admit their website is very misleading about the option of using the activator. As soon as anyone sees "2-Part System", you automaticlly assume epoxy . Not so.

Any other questions? Let me know. If I don't know or don't explain thoroughly, I'll get the owner of the company to answer.

All names, addresses and where need be, telephone numbers were sent to FastCap this Tuesday morning. Participants should see their CA glue kit in about 10 days (whenever it gets there for those of you outside the US).

I forgot to mention in my previous posts, GO EASY WITH THE ACTIVATOR! If used excessively, it will foam and turn white and harden that way! Not a worry if you will not see it, but a real pain if you are using it to put a finish on a pen.

Dan Masshardt

All names, addresses and where need be, telephone numbers were sent to FastCap this Tuesday morning. Participants should see their CA glue kit in about 10 days (whenever it gets there for those of you outside the US). I forgot to mention in my previous posts, GO EASY WITH THE ACTIVATOR! If used excessively, it will foam and turn white and harden that way! Not a worry if you will not see it, but a real pain if you are using it to put a finish on a pen.

Have you tried other accelerators with this glue? I might expiriment.

Dan;
I have not tried other accelerants with 2P-10, I have tried 2P-10 activator with other CA glues and it seems to work with them. Please let me know what you find out!

All product testers should post their critiques here when finished.

CA Glue kits are starting to arrive at the Product Testers' shops! Please post your comments, both good and bad here and PM me a copy. I will send ALL comments to FastCap.

Cmiles1985

Mine arrived yesterday. Comments so far: the packaging is nice, and I like the bottles. They seem like they won't plug up. I used the Jel to glue up some blanks last night and this morning. I like it better than using thick CA as there's a little more working time. I typically use 5 minute epoxy, but on multiple blanks I run out of time. The Jel has allowed for doing one blank at a time with a good solid hold that I don't normally get using medium or thick CA.

Please pass a big "thank you" to FastCap for this opportunity.

JimMills

Received my package yesterday an was surprised at the nice packaging .
Used the medium on a pen like I normally do and the finish turned out just fine.

Will be trying other things after the holidays

jallan

My kit arrived the other day and I like the way it is packed. The pin in the top of each cap is a great idea to keep the spout open. Like the extras that came with the kit also. Used the gel to fill in some large voids and the work time was great. Did the job. I am not a big fan of pump activator I like the aerosol can type but I found the pump activator did a good job , sent out the right amount with one spray .I also like the larger bottles of CA 2.5 oz. With the larger bottles and all the extras in the kit I would buy it for about $49.95. Great product and thanks of the opportunity to test it.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
My kit was waiting for me when I got to the office today. Like others, I am very impressed with packaging & contents. I'll be trying it out on several projects this week.
Thanks for the opportunity to participate.

I like the others are impressed by the package and the put up of each of the items enclosed. Your attention to details are to be commended and the generous amounts will more than satisfy the review requirements. I will be putting the items to the test and look forward to completing the survey. Thank you for your interest in my opinion on what appears to be a wonderful group of products.

walshjp17

My kit came today. As with the other comments above, I really like the packaging and the attention to details (pin in cap, extra caps with brushes, small tips) that Fastcap went to in putting this together. I'll be starting my testing on the morrow.

Dan Masshardt

It's really nice that you can just open the bottles and use without having to cut the end off the spout. Great looking kit.

Only did a tiny bit of experimenting upon opening it. Much more to come.

Attachments

• image-3207995890.jpg
    image-3207995890.jpg
    481.2 KB · Views: 182

davidbr

Received the 2p-10 ca glue package today, I am veryimpressed with the packaging and it will solve a problem I have had keeping upwith the ca glues.

I have only used the gel so far but was very pleased withit. The bottles seem to be designed so they will not have as many problems withclogging. I do not have anything bad to say about the product. The onlyimprovement I can think of is making it more readily available.

I would use the small bottles of ca and activator as I do not use enough for the largerbottles to be practical. There were noproblems with allergies and the odor did not seem to be as bad as some others Ihave used.

I do not use tints so do not know how they would work Iwould definitely consider buying through the IAP if it was offered. Theactivator worked fine for what I didtoday and no problems.

I will be trying it as a finish first chance I get. Overall I would recommendthis ca over any that I have used. I really do like the gel for pen blanks. Itis not near as messy and does a good job, It seems to be a good product and theprices on their web site seem to be very competitive with other brands. I wouldrecommend the kit with the 4 bottles of ca the activator and the de-bonder. It is a good price and I really do like thebox it comes in for storage.

southernclay

Got mine today. Great packaging as others have said. Way more than expected for a free test. I prefer aerosol for activator for the mister is well made so sure it will work. I've looked at their prices and they are very fair and free shipping for orders over $100. May be good for local club orders or IAPers that live near each other.

I'm gluing some tubes tonight (antler) going to try thick and jel to see how that goes.

I did fix Lightning McQueens rear wheels tonight. 3 yr old crashed him a few nights ago so the jel did the trick and he'll be back with his buddy tomorrow for more crash tests : )

Will send full report as I get to test some more but so far promising. Great case and design.

Not sure on the tinting idea, seems like a neat idea but can't think of too many times I would use it. Maybe in place of reverse painting. Would that work for filling voids as well I assume?

Anyway, thanks again for arranging the test, lots of goodies to play with

Sataro

I have received my kit this week. Like the others have said, very nice packaging on these kits. Thanks for offering this chance to test this glue out. Will be trying this out this weekend on some pens.

Carl Fisher

My kit showed up last night and I just had a chance to open it this morning.

WOW. First impressions this stuff is packaged better than most tools I buy. But I have to wonder if this is for our benefit as early testers or if this is how it will be packaged. If so, how much is added to the cost of the product for the molded casing?

The selection is nice having thin, medium, thick, and "jel" along with the accelerator and debonder.

What I didn't find at first glance was a cure time if you don't use the accelerator. The bottles have cure times but in the instructions is states to use accelerator on one surface and glue on the other surface to achieve the cure times shown. So for example on the Jel version, 10 second grab, 30 second cure with accelerator becomes what expected time without?

Looking forward to putting this stuff through it's paces.

Carl Fisher

Watching all of the product videos on the FastCap website, 2P-10 seems to be VERY heavily reliant on the accelerator. Has anyone done tube glue up without using the accelerator and did it set fine? What thickness did you use and how long did it take to set?

Dan Masshardt

Watching all of the product videos on the FastCap website, 2P-10 seems to be VERY heavily reliant on the accelerator. Has anyone done tube glue up without using the accelerator and did it set fine? What thickness did you use and how long did it take to set?

I don't think it's necessary. I did really quick use of most of the types yesterday. The thinner stuff actually seems to harden faster than my other ca with no accelerator. Could be subjective though.

southernclay

I glued up 5 tubes last night, all antler. First one was with jel, it set up way faster than I expected. I used no accelerator on any of them. I may end up having to glue a little antler powder in one spot it set up so fast didn't get it in where I wanted too since I was taking my sweet time. Next 4 were all thick and it set up fast too. Faster than usual. I'm looking forward to trying it out as a CA finish. I'm expecting a quicker process with or without accelerator.

Oh and Carl, looking at their website I think this is the typical case they come in. The package we got is $30. Pretty great price considering. I felt the same though the case can't be cheap to manufacture but is impressive. One of those things that if I had several of I would still hold onto telling myself I might use it for something else haha

Cmiles1985

I have glued up multiple tubes with the Jel. I have not used accelerator with it for the reason of needing additional working time, and I've found it to be sufficient. I'm probably using way more than needed, but I put a straight line of glue down the length of the tube then slide into the blank giving it a full rotation all the way through (basic stuff). I have not had issues of too little working time. I also have only used the thin and medium as a finish on an acrylic "oops" blank that now has a section of Amboyna burl. I enjoyed using it as a finish. Like posted above, I personally prefer the aerosol activators, but the pump mechanism seems to put out just the right amount with a great droplet size for even coverage. I'll (hopefully) finish up one of my Mutt blanks from ElMostro's "spike" on a Liberty set. I'll post some good shots of the finish and report my thoughts on it when done.

Just to answer some questions.
1. Activator - You do not need to use the activator with the CA glue. Cure times without it are lengthened, depending on temperature, the viscosity of the glue, and humidity. All CA glues start setting when exposed to moisture. The cap design on the bottles of 2P-10 CA glue give the glue its guaranteed 2 year shelf life – it keeps moisture out. They have tested the glue out to over 10 years. They do offer a 12 oz spray can of avitvator for about $12.00. Pretty economical.
2. The box you received with your kit is standard – no special packaging for IAP product testers! They must have gotten a great deal on them because they use them for several other kits they offer.
3. Tinting – The tint they recommend and sell is a very concentrated powder. I use it to fill voids, and make thick contrasting lines when segmenting. FastCap offers Black, White, Yellow, Red, Blue, Brown. If interested, PM me and I'll see if I can send you some.
4. MSDS's and lots of technical information is available on their web site if interested.
5. Set and Cure Times – The thinner the viscosity, the higher the ambient temperature, and the more humid it is, then the faster the set and cure time will be. Her in Texas I have had 5 sec set times using Thick with the activator. (Set meaning my fingers were glued together and I need the debonder!)

Keep the comments and critiques coming! ALL C and C will be passed on the FastCap's president after the end of June.

Top Bottom