Parker style roller ball

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithbyrd

Does any one know if any of the roller ball kits take a Parker style RB refill? I can find lots of SChmidts but no Parker. I have a couple of orders but they want Parkers. Any help appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

glycerine

Not sure I understand, why does the brand of refill matter? Do they want a pen that takes Parker ballpoint refill or do they want a rollerball pen???

keithbyrd

They want a pen that will take Parker roller ball refills. He currently uses a parker roller ball and likes their refills. Wants to order some pens but wants to continue using the Parker refill.

EarlD

I haven't bought any Parker refills for the rollerball pens I've made but I was under the impression that the Schmidt is a "Parker Style" and that the Parker refills would fit our pens. I've been telling my customers that anyway so if I'm wrong I'd certainly like to know.

EarlD

IPD_Mr

There are no "kits" that are the capped "rollerball" style pens that take a Parker refill. All Parker style refills are retractable either by twist or click. It would not be to difficult to make a kitless design that looks like an El Grande but would take a Parker refill.

I know that this is an exaggeration but it is like asking if there are any cars that take a motorcycle engine. On the marker? No. Can it be done? Sure.

mrcook4570

Parker does make a roller ball that is different in size from their regular ballpoints. IIRC, it is tapered its entire length and does not have a square shoulder or step. It is not a direct replacement for the Schmidt rollerball. However, a little modification of tube length and/or spring size (and maybe modifying the hole in the 'nib' end of the grip section) is all that would be necessary to adapt a pen style to using a Parker rollerball.

keithbyrd

I haven't bought any Parker refills for the rollerball pens I've made but I was under the impression that the Schmidt is a "Parker Style" and that the Parker refills would fit our pens. I've been telling my customers that anyway so if I'm wrong I'd certainly like to know.

EarlD
I took my roller ball to Staples and tried a lot of refills but found none that actually fit.
icon9.gif
It appears (from my limited exposure) that rollerball kits are made for Schmidt refills!
No problem with parker style refills for ballpoint!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Hey Keith!!

I have had a couple instances of customers requesting a pen to fit a given refill.

I have found the best strategy is to ask them to send you one or two of the refills they want to use.

Then, there is no misunderstanding, and yes, you CAN make nearly any "kit" fit nearly any refill, if you are willing to do closed end.

keithbyrd

Thanks for the info! On my list of things to do is learn how to do aclosed end pen! But had no intention of doing it now:smile-big:
Talked to my customer and he is willing to switch to the Schmidt!:)

mrcook4570

I took my roller ball to Staples and tried a lot of refills but found none that actually fit.
icon9.gif
It appears (from my limited exposure) that rollerball kits are made for Schmidt refills!

If you are looking for other brands that are a direct replacement for the schmidt (assuming that you are referring to the 888 and 5888 models), then there are quite a few options. I know that both Visconti and Sailor make refills that fit, and both are excellent quality. The Pilot G2 (although it is a gel) works. Mont Blanc works, but fits even better if you grind off the threads. Cross (for rolling ball pens) will work, although I have encountered some that needed to be tweaked just a little. Hauser will fit, but I am not a fan of their performance. Both Staples and Office Depot offer their own brand, although their performance is very similar to the Hauser and may even be just the Hauser with their own label. IIRC, Pelikan and Sheaffer will also work, but it has been a while since I have looked for other brands so my memory may be a little foggy.

Top Bottom