One Hour Full Cure Epoxy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Carl Fisher

Not sure about the 1-hour but I use the 5-minute System Three and like it a lot better than the EZBond I was using previously. Much easier flow out of the bottle and sets up nicely.

t001xa22

Dan makes a good point. To make for a better flow and mixing consistency, 2-part epoxies do better when warm. On the other hand, CA glues will last longer when kept in a cool environment, and ambient temps don't seem to have any effect on flow rate.

Tony;
System 3 is the only epoxy I buy. The company stands behind all their products and has a very good technical service section to answer all your questions. I haven't used it in making any pens, but I don't see any reason not to.

Carl Fisher

I'm finding that temperature makes a difference in flow.

I don't disagree, but when placed side by side system three flows better in my typical shop environment than what I previously used.

I also don't recall paying quite that much for System Three from Woodcraft. I'll have to look through my receipts when I get a chance.

Crashmph

I use the System Three 5 Minute Epoxy all the time. In the winter/cold months I toss it in the microwave for 20 seconds or so to get it flowing again.
System Three 5 Minute Epoxy

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
You might want to ask about the shelf life of the epoxy before you buy that much. I have had other 5 min epoxys that deteriorated when I didnt use it up soon enough. It would get thicker and set quicker, it also became much yellower in color and did not hold as well. Since I live in SW FL. the heat may cause it to accelerate.

TonyL

I believe amber. I did hear back from technical support. It reaches full strengh in two to three days. According to technical support, there is an inverse relationship between full cure time and strengh. Certainly, for penturners, we don't need anything that takes a long time to cure ( according to their technical support)

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I believe amber. I did hear back from technical support. It reaches full strengh in two to three days. According to technical support, there is an inverse relationship between full cure time and strengh. Certainly, for penturners, we don't need anything that takes a long time to cure ( according to their technical support)

I would doubt his expertise!

An inverse relationship would mean that as drying time increases, strength DECREASES proportionally. A DIRECT relationship would mean the two numbers increase at the same time.

If he is "technical" support, he certainly should know the meaning of his terms.

TonyL

My fault. I paraphrased him incorrectly. I am to blame. He said that there s trade off: faster curing times produce less strength. Thanks for correcting me. My apologies.

Dan Masshardt

Sounds about the same as the others then on cure times. ?

Top Bottom