Jack Daniels Blanks Interest

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jimm1

I was wondering if there is still an interest in me offering the Jack Daniels blanks? I see that Vendors offer them at $4.00+. Since I live close to the distillery, I usually buy a barrel (unfortunately empty), cut them up myself and offer them at $2.50.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    270.5 KB · Views: 256
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MikeinSC

Do you know if anyone has turned these yet? I would be curious to see what they look like.. I would be interested in trying a few

Yes, lot's of people have. Barrels are almost always a white oak, so no matter the distillery, they will all be similar. The originating distiller such as makers mark, JD, JB, etc are the draw and the fans of those drinks are generally the maret. Now you may also get some pieces that show wine stains if it is from a distiller that reuses barrels like a cognac maker would.

jimm1

JD Pens

Do you know if anyone has turned these yet? I would be curious to see what they look like.. I would be interested in trying a few

I do not have any more decals though. They really make good conversation pieces.

Attachments

• DSC06276_edited-1.jpg
    DSC06276_edited-1.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 306
  • DSC06278_edited-1.jpg
    DSC06278_edited-1.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 288
  • DSC06279_edited-1.jpg
    DSC06279_edited-1.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 236
  • DSC06274_edited-1.jpg
    DSC06274_edited-1.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 248
  • DSC05797_edited-1.jpg
    DSC05797_edited-1.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 271

vtgaryw

I usually have one or two of these at a show, and I seldom fail to sell at least one every show. Have to make sure I keep them stocked.

I usually use them on cigar pens.

Gary

Turned Around

Absolutely! I love turning these. And they sell really well. Especially when pairing it with a click flashlight from PSI as a set. Can't keep those sets around if I tried. The shop smells awesome when making these. I just haven't been able to get in the show the past 6 months or so because of moving and work.

jimm1

I am officially out of JD blanks. I really would like
to know the interest (non-committing of course) if I should buy another barrel to cut up for blanks. Way cheaper than the commercial vendors.

eliasbboy

I'd be in for some as well. I make a bunch of stuff with them. Also, out here in Chicagoland SOMETIMES you can get lucky at Home Depot in the garden department. They sell half barrels for planting. Usually they are just generic but apparently they will get JD barrels in occasionally.

RDH79

Just drilled some of the new batch you got in.
Talk about fresh. The smells is unbelievable when drilling. There is still whiskey in the blanks. Smells good enough to chew on.
Thank Jim.
If your buying form someone else your spending way too much.
I have been buying from Jim since he started selling these.

jimm1

Mike, I can cut them that or even diagonal, if you're interested.

Would you charge extra for diagonal or end cut blanks?

Well, that's a trick question. I cut most of the staves I have left straight grained. Why? Cause I almost lost fingers trying to cut the curved (cupped in two directions) stave.
I have some that I can cross cut, but they will be at the most 4" long. Therefore, I can cut up two 2 1/2" shorts to equal the 5" blank, Or any 2 lengths equalling up to 5".

Last edited:

Carl Fisher

30 degree cuts out of lid and bottom pieces yield some of the best full size blanks. You can get full size diagonal cuts out of most staves but you'll end up with a lot of waste which drives the price per blank up a bit. But at a diagonal cut you get the rays in the wood once turned which makes all the difference in white oak.

Top Bottom