• DENY ORDER AND SEND SEPARATE INVOICE WITH ACTUAL COST

Votes: 2 5.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Having returned from living outside the US just over 2 years ago, and now having a daughter living in Brazil and lots of friends still in Japan, all I can say is that postage has increased tremendously in the last 3 years while affordable shipping SIZE has decreased quite a bit. I remember when we could ship "book boxes" (approx 12 X 12 X 18) and larger for $40 or less. And now small shipping is out of this world.

AS to what customers as a whole prefer, it will vary from person to person. I personally considered it a priviledge to be able to receive an order from the US, England, Canada, Oz, SE Asia or other country, if it was what I wanted. Rarely did I consider the shipping price to be a rip-off.

There is only one company that I deal with on occasion that I do not order small parts from simply because their policy involves an outrageous shipping cost that involves processing and that is Grizzly. I think they charge about $7.00+ or so even if you order a specialty screw or washer.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Having returned from living outside the US just over 2 years ago, and now having a daughter living in Brazil and lots of friends still in Japan, all I can say is that postage has increased tremendously in the last 3 years while affordable shipping SIZE has decreased quite a bit. I remember when we could ship "book boxes" (approx 12 X 12 X 18) and larger for $40 or less. And now small shipping is out of this world.

AS to what customers as a whole prefer, it will vary from person to person. I personally considered it a priviledge to be able to receive an order from the US, England, Canada, Oz, SE Asia or other country, if it was what I wanted. Rarely did I consider the shipping price to be a rip-off.

There is only one company that I deal with on occasion that I do not order small parts from simply because their policy involves an outrageous shipping cost that involves processing and that is Grizzly. I think they charge about $7.00 or so even if you order a specialty screw or washer.
They're not alone...I ordered a small $1.50 fan for my computer from Tiger Direct and paid $10.00 shipping. The thing is that if someone orders a single refill spring from me, it costs me as much to fill that order as it does to fill an order for a $50 package of pen kits and my margin on the spring won't even pay the postage. When someone buys something like that he's really buying the service not the part.

leehljp

Member Liaison
. . .

There is only one company that I deal with on occasion that I do not order small parts from simply because their policy involves an outrageous shipping cost that involves processing and that is Grizzly. I think they charge about $7.00 or so even if you order a specialty screw or washer.

They're not alone...I ordered a small $1.50 fan for my computer from Tiger Direct and paid $10.00 shipping. The thing is that if someone orders a single refill spring from me, it costs me as much to fill that order as it does to fill an order for a $50 package of pen kits and my margin on the spring won't even pay the postage. When someone buys something like that he's really buying the service not the part.

Smitty,

Not arguing with you on this, but just giving some observations and some things that just don't make logical sense with that, especially with Grizzly. I go into Grizzly store in Springfield MO about 4 or 5 times a year (when visiting my daughter there) and I will spend 20 to 30 minutes talking with a sales person and getting great service. On a couple of occasions, I have needed a part that they spend 5 to 10 minutes looking for parts or the right tool. These have not been high priced items or large parts, but small parts that would fit in an envelope. I spend less than $5.00, get 15 to 20 minutes of service together with some great conversation.

Now compare that to an order for a washer or specialty screw. (Yes, I have picked them up when visiting.) They will spend 5 minutes looking, and 5 processing and packaging and charge me a total of about $10 for processing, packaging and postage. They spend more time on me for free (and other customers) than they do with an order. They can take care of 3 to 4 times more volume from orders in less time than they can from live customers, so why charge more for the processing fees? Doesn't make sense to me. This is not meant as a disrespect to you in any way, and I agree that people have to make enough of a profit to stay in business. But there seems that there is some wiggle room between small parts and customer service. :wink:

Last edited:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
. . .

Smitty,

Not arguing with you on this, but just giving some observations and some things that just don't make logical sense with that, especially with Grizzly. I go into Grizzly store in Springfield MO about 4 or 5 times a year (when visiting my daughter there) and I will spend 20 to 30 minutes talking with a sales person and getting great service. On a couple of occasions, I have needed a part that they spend 5 to 10 minutes looking for parts or the right tool. These have not been high priced items or large parts, but small parts that would fit in an envelope. I spend less than $5.00, get 15 to 20 minutes of service together with some great conversation.

Now compare that to an order for a washer or specialty screw. (Yes, I have picked them up when visiting.) They will spend 5 minutes looking, and 5 processing and packaging and charge me a total of about $10 for processing, packaging and postage. They spend more time on me for free (and other customers) than they do with an order. They can take care of 3 to 4 times more volume from orders in less time than they can from live customers, so why charge more for the processing fees? Doesn't make sense to me. This is not meant as a disrespect to you in any way, and I agree that people have to make enough of a profit to stay in business. But there seems that there is some wiggle room between small parts and customer service. :wink:
The difference is the clerk in the store gets paid the same whether talking to you, someone else or no one at all. His/her job is waiting on customers.

Suppose you buy a single Parker refill spring from me for a dollar and pay via PayPal or credit card. Paypal takes $.33 and I get $.67 and the item might have cost me $.15 that leaves me with 52 cents. Without going into details I assure you that comes nowhere near covering the cost of shipping it much less the cost of handling and my overhead even if I figure nada for my time.

Jeannius

Roy and LeRoy

Please note that I really doubt that any person from outside USA would begrudge you charging a suitable fee to cover your costs. If your charge was silly, then we'd quietly just vote with our feet.

Our big gripe is when the stuff lands in the UK....
It's most often hit and miss as to whether we get snagged for customs duty and other handling charges.
My experience has shown that the more 'professionally' a box is packed and labelled determines whether or not it attract the customs man.

An extra dollar or two certainly won't make any difference at all to us.

Even now, it's most often still far cheaper to buy from USA or OZ than in the UK.

Any vendor that thinks it's a chore to sell stuff to me won't be getting my money.

hear, hear

rixstix

Suppose you buy a single Parker refill spring from me for a dollar and pay via PayPal or credit card. Paypal takes $.33 and I get $.67 and the item might have cost me $.15 that leaves me with 52 cents.

If you have a significant number of $10 or less sales, have you considered processing those through a PayPal MicroPayment account? 5% plus $0.05 per transaction instead of 2.9% plus $0.30

I haven't a clue about the details other than it is one exception to PayPal where they will allow a second account associated with a SSN/EIN

ugrad

If it is necessary to issue a refund for overpaid postage and both parties take a hit on currency conversion, wouldn't it be better to issue a Credit Note, that can be redeemed with the next order, of course that may not be acceptable to a one off buyer.

Regards
Peter

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
If it is necessary to issue a refund for overpaid postage and both parties take a hit on currency conversion, wouldn't it be better to issue a Credit Note, that can be redeemed with the next order, of course that may not be acceptable to a one off buyer.

Regards
Peter
I would be perfectly willing to do that if the buyer was happy with it. I would make that optional though so the buyer would know I was not trying to force them back to my store if they didn't want to come.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
One quick note on the "consensus choice": Hold the order and present options to the potential buyer.

This is very labor intensive. First, you need to "pick" the order---small companies don't have software that will weigh AND figure the geometry of every item in stock, so the only way to know what box is required is to "pick" the order. Then, box and weigh it, just as if it were going to ship.

If it does NOT fit in the "small flat rate", then the vendor needs to put it in a box and weigh. Again, finding all the alternative shipping methods and the related cost.

I have done this for customers, only to find out that they then decide not to order.

Again, all the products need to be restocked, in correct bins.

So, I have "killed an hour" for absolutely no benefit to ANYONE. And all my other customers' orders have been delayed for no real reason.

I am always happy to try to help customers. In order to do that most effectively, I try to avoid chasing "wild gooses"!!
YMMV!!
Ed

OKLAHOMAN

One quick note on the "consensus choice": Hold the order and present options to the potential buyer.

This is very labor intensive. First, you need to "pick" the order---small companies don't have software that will weigh AND figure the geometry of every item in stock, so the only way to know what box is required is to "pick" the order. Then, box and weigh it, just as if it were going to ship.

If it does NOT fit in the "small flat rate", then the vendor needs to put it in a box and weigh. Again, finding all the alternative shipping methods and the related cost.

I have done this for customers, only to find out that they then decide not to order.

Again, all the products need to be restocked, in correct bins.

So, I have "killed an hour" for absolutely no benefit to ANYONE. And all my other customers' orders have been delayed for no real reason.

I am always happy to try to help customers. In order to do that most effectively, I try to avoid chasing "wild gooses"!!
YMMV!!
Ed

Totally agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, much rather give a refund or absorb the small difference, as we all are still giving the customer great products at good prices that they can't get anywhere else.

ugrad

Regards
Peter
I would be perfectly willing to do that if the buyer was happy with it. I would make that optional though so the buyer would know I was not trying to force them back to my store if they didn't want to come.

The Credit Note system would probably be welcome by your repeat foreign customers, but not by a one off. It would help you and help your customers who want it. Win/Win.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

Regards
Peter

The Credit Note system would probably be welcome by your repeat foreign customers, but not by a one off. It would help you and help your customers who want it. Win/Win.
Agreed, that's why I would make it an option, I would ask the customer "do you want a refund or a store credit good for your next visit?"

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
It looks like the overwhelming preference is one that most of us probably can't implement in our shopping carts. I am going to be checking with my provider and see if there is a way to intercept orders before they actually get into the payment process, make manual changes then send them on their way. It sounds easy but might actually be difficult (which is probably why it isn't there already).

Sylvanite

None of the poll options apply to me. I hate doing extra work to invoice customers manually, or to refund excess charges. As a customer, I also dislike extra waits or not knowing the actual total price of my purchase.

I'm fortunate, however, that my products have a pretty consistent density, so I know based on their weight when I need to switch from First Class Mail to Flat Rate Envelope to Medium Flat-Rate Box. I use ZenCart Zone-Based Shipping which enables me to charge the desired rates for US and international shipping. Customers pay the shipping charge shown in the cart.

When USPS raised the rates, it made international shipping much more expensive, so I expect to do even less business outside the USA.

Regards,
Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom