First Pen Show

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

elkhorn

Good morning, all. I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, so if I'm mistaken please let me know so I can post in the correct forum next time.

Attached is a photo of my table for my first pen show this past Saturday. I tried to have a good supply in ranges from mini-stylus' to watch part pens. This was not a juried show but I wanted to get some experience before my next show which is juried.

Short version, weather was terrible - cold, rainy, windy - resulting in minimal foot traffic (approx. 200 people). I sold 10 items, which was ten more than the booths around me did.

I'd appreciate any critiques about how the table looks and any suggestions on how to improve it.

Thank you.

Attachments

• First Pen Show.jpg
    First Pen Show.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 476
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Karl_99

Looks like you have a nice variety of pens to offer. Two suggestions - move large sign from left side of table to side of table to provide more display space and set some paper out so people can test the pens.

Good luck with your next show.

elkhorn

Thanks for the comments, everyone. I just ordered a vinyl banner with my logo on it to put on the front apron of the table. Florida sounds nice, but hopefully we're getting into our nice (?) Utah summer weather:biggrin:

Harpazo

Thanks for the comments, everyone. I just ordered a vinyl banner with my logo on it to put on the front apron of the table. Florida sounds nice, but hopefully we're getting into our nice (?) Utah summer weather:biggrin:

We've done several outdoor sales events and yours would be great to have where we usually go. You can try all sorts of things but the important part is to engage your shoppers.

I've seen sellers just sit and wait but those who stay standing and engaging always do better. It seems shoppers want to be "sold" ie: want to have a little give and take to make them feel more comfortable shopping with you.

I think you're off to a great start. Best of luck to you!

OKLAHOMAN

John, your on the right path. As to the banner on the apron of the table cloth I have always been against placing of it there for one reason, when customers are walking around a show they are looking forward and not down. In order to see your banner they need eyes in their Knee's or not looking at your merchandise while walking past your booth. A banner is a great idea but it needs to be above your booth not below it.

elkhorn

Thanks, Scott. You're right about standing up and engaging the customers. My wife and I were standing and "polishing" the pens and talking to people as they went by. A lot of times it was that interaction that made them stop.

Roy, good point about "eyes in the knees". I know things tend to sag when you get older, but hopefully the eyes won't drop that low:wink: The sign will have grommets so we'll be able to hang it from the canopy.

elkhorn

Thanks, Dennis. I appreciate the support. I may have to have you pat me on the back - if I tried it I probably couldn't get my arm straight again:biggrin:

wood-of-1kind

Nice selection but in my estimation, you may be displaying "too much" at once for a relatively small area. Too many may be "perceived" as if you are turning out too much, too quick and perhaps your unit selling prices may be "lower" than what it can be set to maximize your sell/profit potential. JMO and may be completely out in left field but that is the approach when I do shows. Show you nice stuff without making it seem that you have a ton. Spacing is important as is the presentation of the product(s).

southernclay

Glad you were able to make some sales! Let us know how the next one goes. I'm curious if the pen slots missing were after the sales or at the beginning.....just wondering if you were doing some psychological marketing by looking as if you had some sales from the start by having some slots missing.

elkhorn

Peter, thank you. I did put out all my watch part pens, for example. Only putting out a few and getting people interested has merit.

elkhorn

Warren, you are correct. I did purposely leave some slots empty. Maybe I'll have to leave a few more empty:biggrin:

Flynny

I just happened to see this thread - I know I'm late.
Someone already said to have paper, I think that it important.
Also, IMO you have a lot of different displays. Maybe try to keep the displays all the same?
Your table looked very "busy".
I am a rookie so please take that into account.
John

Top Bottom