Etched Pen component

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BradG

Hi Guys
little twist on the work I usually do. I know there is a name for these sleeves but I cant think what they call it

The piece is brass, chrome or gold plated, and im thinking of making a range of these in different sizes and styles for sale, along with making limited edition designs from time to time, never to be reproduced.

Thinking of doing a few with the IAP logo on with 10th Anniversary on with a funky design to donate to the next bash to be won/raffled

Ive modelled the sleeve here with one of Brook's blanks turned down, and its not a good enough pattern to show off this beautiful blank, but you should get the idea. With this particular pattern either a solid colour or segmented would work well... for brook's blanks, less metal will show them off better :cool:

Id imagine the kitless guys who turn with plastic, could integrate these into their pens quite easily... they would look stunning on an all black resin pen for instance, though il leave it to your imagination :wink:

as always, all thoughts are welcome

Thanks for looking

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 454
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 465
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ed McDonnell

Hi Brad - As you google "filigree", add "Henry Simpole" to your search terms. He seems to be pretty well received in the fountain pen community.

Penn State Industries (and probably others) have offered filigree sleeves for years. I've always wondered how popular they were, but they seem to stay on offer so somebody must be buying them.

How about modifying your process (multiple etch session) to achieve some dimensionality?

Ed

OKLAHOMAN

A very marketable product, your always one step ahead of the curve as you can anodize, plate and make them for various components. Bravo!

BradG

Hi Brad - As you google "filigree", add "Henry Simpole" to your search terms. He seems to be pretty well received in the fountain pen community.

Penn State Industries (and probably others) have offered filigree sleeves for years. I've always wondered how popular they were, but they seem to stay on offer so somebody must be buying them.

How about modifying your process (multiple etch session) to achieve some dimensionality?

Ed

Multiple levels is hell... applying the mask is tedious to say the least due to the isotropic nature of the etching process. if it were Ansiotropic etching using corrosive gasses it would be much easier, but I think my wife would have a hissy fit with that kind of equipment in my shop

I would hope these would have an edge as the buyer has the option to design their own, give input to how it should be, request a logo or name incorporated etc..##Just had a look a Henry's work, very nice indeed :)

Last edited:

ericofpendom

Hi Brad, great product and I think the logo idea is a great one. I have a contact that has asked several times if I could do him pens with his logo on for his special customers, I think your sleeves would be the ticket. As you say in your post I think they are better suited to solid colour blanks though, as all the detail is in your work and a fancy blank is just overkill.

Eric...

Ed McDonnell

Multiple levels is hell... applying the mask is tedious to say the least due to the isotropic nature of the etching process. if it were Ansiotropic etching using corrosive gasses it would be much easier, but I think my wife would have a hissy fit with that kind of equipment in my shop

I would hope these would have an edge as the buyer has the option to design their own, give input to how it should be, request a logo or name incorporated etc..##Just had a look a Henry's work, very nice indeed :)

Hi Brad - My thinking on the multiple levels was along the lines of removal of bits of the mask for subsequent etchings so you get partial etching in addition to the full depth etching.

As a trivial example, something as simple as slitting the mask partway through the etching to introduce shallow etched veins on leaves could add some real interest to the finished product. Alternatively you could mask the front and back to control partial vs full etching, but design and alignment of the front and back masks is pretty fussy. Especially on cylinders.

Just some thoughts.

Ed

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
Thinking of doing a few with the IAP logo on with 10th Anniversary on with a funky design to donate to the next bash to be won/raffled

Great idea! If you do make some, please make sure you remind me of this close to the Bash, as I haven't started generating a Bash donation list yet (although it's not far off!) :)

Top Bottom