Double ended die holders

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Texatdurango

Last fall there was a group buy for some 14mm multi-start tap and die sets. Due to the size of the threads many members opted for the 1 1/2" diameter die then we all realized that die holders for that size die were scarce and expensive so I made a few dozen holders from delrin for many of those members.

The idea of a die in each end of the holder made for some quick threading so I made some more to hold a 1" die in each end and sold several. Recently several members contacted me asking about them so this thread is to gage interest in how many members would be interested in these double ended die holders.

The 2" and 1 1/4" diameter delrin rods aren't cheap and come in 4 foot rods and UPS adds an extra charge due to the length so buying in quantity will lower the cost per rod as well as save on multiple shipments.

So.........

I would like to see if there is enough interest to warrant me buying the delrin rods in enough quantity to get the price down to lower the tool cost.

I will be offering two sizes of holders both of which will rotate freely on a 6" long 1/4" hardened steel shaft which is included. The holders are 4" long and are designed to rotate freely so you can easily do fine pitch threading by hand without tearing out the threads or having to push on the tailstock.

The large holder will hold an 1 1/2" diameter die in one end and a 1" die in the other. Both dies can be left in place to avoid mounting and removing them all the time.

The smaller holder is 4" long and rotates on a 1/4" shaft as well but holds a 1" die in both ends.

Last year I sold the large holders for $47 and the smaller holder for $25. I hope that buying in bulk and saving on multiple shipments will reduce the price a little but will have to wait and see how this turns out.

This thread is to gage interest only, if enough folks show interest I will place an ad in the classifieds forum.

Below are a couple photos of what the tools look like and how they are used.

Attachments

• dieholder1.jpg
    dieholder1.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 271
  • dieholder2.jpg
    dieholder2.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 224
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

InvisibleMan

I'm getting prepared to join the kitless bunch and would definitely be in the market for these. Haven't figured out what size yet, though, as I can't seem to figure out what all the tap and die sizing really means to me:redface:

Texatdurango

I'm getting prepared to join the kitless bunch and would definitely be in the market for these. Haven't figured out what size yet, though, as I can't seem to figure out what all the tap and die sizing really means to me:redface:

After reading the sentence above I got to thinking and feel I need to clarify something.

Of all the dies I have used over the years ALL of the die blanks have been 1" in diameter or slightly under. In the group buy last year for the 14mm size tap and die many of us opted for the larger diameter die because we were concerned about the thin walls caused by the threading diameter being so close to 1" diameter creating a thin wall condition. That said, unless there is another group buy for this 14mm size die one is very unlikely to encounter another 1 1/2" diameter die in their pen making career so please consider this when saying you want the large die holder.

I would feel horrible if several people ordered the large die holder because they thought they would need it just to go "kitless" then never bought the larger die. Several people opted to get the 14mm die in the 1" version and while I haven't read a thing about it, I'm sure they are doing just fine.

So here is my personal recommendation....... if you already have a 1 1/2" die then by all means the large tool holder would be fine but DON'T order one if you don't yet have the die yet, you can always get a tool made later.

InvisibleMan

After reading the sentence above I got to thinking and feel I need to clarify something.

Of all the dies I have used over the years ALL of the die blanks have been 1" in diameter or slightly under. In the group buy last year for the 14mm size tap and die many of us opted for the larger diameter die because we were concerned about the thin walls caused by the threading diameter being so close to 1" diameter creating a thin wall condition. That said, unless there is another group buy for this 14mm size die one is very unlikely to encounter another 1 1/2" diameter die in their pen making career so please consider this when saying you want the large die holder.

I would feel horrible if several people ordered the large die holder because they thought they would need it just to go "kitless" then never bought the larger die. Several people opted to get the 14mm die in the 1" version and while I haven't read a thing about it, I'm sure they are doing just fine.

So here is my personal recommendation....... if you already have a 1 1/2" die then by all means the large tool holder would be fine but DON'T order one if you don't yet have the die yet, you can always get a tool made later.

Cool - I'm in for a small. And if you don't get the group buy together, I'm still in for a small:biggrin:

Top Bottom