Does your PR blank need a catchy name?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Does your blank need a catchy name for you to purchase it?

• Yes, I need the name to be awesome!

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • No, why would I need a name?

Votes: 9 16.7%
  • Maybe, cause I need a sales pitch....

Votes: 10 18.5%
  • Are you kidding, it don't matter

Votes: 24 44.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SDB777

With the wife getting into the fevered state of PR casting swirly blanks, I just wanted to find out about naming such items.

Scott (thanks for the input) B

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

soligen

I voted maybe. My reasoning is that you want a name so that you can talk/type about a specific blank style unambiguously. If you just say "That Blue & White one" what happens if you have 2 lines with different shades of blue? If you called one "Cloudscape" and the other "Rushing Water", all you would need is a labeled picture of each and then everyone knows what you are talking about.

If you are never going to try to do the same thing twice, then is doesn't matter.

Mark

I'm with are you kidding. I call the pen, pencil, etc - whatever style it is. I note, wrapped in (whatever it looks like to me, after turned and finished.) I do state the wood name if I remember it.:eek:

I try to name all of mine but sometimes I just cant think of one. Would you rather buy a red white and blue PR blank or blank called USA or patriotic or something along those lines.

SteveG

I voted "doesn't matter" for me to purchase it, but I DO like to have a name (any name)for me to identify it to the seller of the blank when it is time to order.

OOPS

I received a catalog in the mail one time. It offered clothing and when I found a pair of pants that looked pretty good, I noticed they were available in two colors: Alaska, and Gravel.

I don't think they are in business any longer.

SDB777

Hmmm, plenty of 'food-for-thought'....

Gonna need a few more 'cold ones' to get them named correctly....but I'll just have to bite the bullet, nd have four, or maybe six of 'um!

Scott (keep voting) B

SDB777

Most of the blanks have been named, but I figured...why not bump the poll for some 'new eyes' to see it?

Scott (thanks for playing) B

Texatdurango

Interesting that I just stumbled onto this thread. I just finished doing a 3 day pen show and took along with me two new styles or models of pens, both in a dozen nice colors.

We see it every day here where a vendor will come out with a new color with a catchy name but if you think about it, what else is he selling, it's just a blank so he has to get you excited over something right?

I think naming a blank might be a clever way to get someone excited to buy it but when talking to customers who I was trying to sell a pen to, I actually downplayed the blank color, and I think the idea worked.

I found it was more important to focus on the writing experience......the pen itself, it's size, weight, balance, section shape and of course the nib brand and tip width. Once the customer was comfortable with having a nice smooth writing pen in their hands then all they needed to do was select a color and trim level and them picking up the reddish pen saying "I love this color" worked for me and I didn't have to tell them it was "Autum frost raspberry and cream ripple", the pen was already sold!

Besides I couldn't remember all the catchy names of all the color blanks I have anyway! :)

LeeR

Guys, it's all about Marketing.

I was in computer sales for HP in the late 70s to early 80s. I ordered a new company car in 1980, one of those chrome-laden Oldsmobiles. The one I ordered was a factory special "stealth" model, vitually no chrome, and painted "Jadestone Firemist Metallic". Man, that thing was beautiful ... but it would never have gotten my attention if the order form said "Plain Unchromed style, in Dark Green".

:)

Top Bottom