• Bock #5

Votes: 7 58.3%
  • Bock #6

Votes: 8 66.7%

• Total voters

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I promised to start a thread to see how much interest there would be for dies to match the different taps for the feed assemblies. Specifically Meister Nib #5 and #6 and Bock #5 and #6

If you have any others you may wish to mention feel free to speak up or comment.

You may pick more than one.
I have already commited and ordered a m8.4 x 1 die they will be available Mid March

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BigShed

Mike, could I trouble you to add the thread size/pitch to the Bock ones in the poll, it would help to make an informed decision.

When you talk about the 8.4x1, that is different from the 4 in the poll, they are feed threads.

The 8.4x1 is the thread used on the Baron and Jr Gent section.

Just wanted to clarify that in my own mind.

So, if one were to make his own section one could use the 8.4 x1 tap and the die you ordered. But as you are making your own, you could just as easily use an M8x1, or an M9x.75, or whatever size suits and is available off the shelf.

Now in the case of the commercially available feeds, such as the Meister and the Bock, you would only need the tap as the feed is already threaded.

So why then would one need the matching die? If you are going to make your own feed, the same comment applies, why specially order a $60 die to match a tap you already have, when you could get a close matching size tap and die set off the shelf for about half or less?

Am I wrong in my logic/thinking?

Last edited:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
The Bock tap sizes are #6- m7.9x.06 and the #5 is m6.4x.6 unfortunatly I cant add them to the poll now.

This thread and poll are the result of a different thread asking if anyone offers the dies for the different feed taps.

I ordered the 8.4 x 1 dies because I want a tap and die to form a front section that would allow the wider convertors to pass through. (the 8.4 Id) while using a 10mm x .75 thread on the outside for the cap threads.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I also considered the 8.4x.75 die to be able to use the Heritance taps for the same reason but I still offer the 8.4 x1 and the need fro the Heritance taps will soon pass, although there are still several out there.

BigShed

The Bock tap sizes are #6- m7.9x.06 and the #5 is m6.4x.6 unfortunatly I cant add them to the poll now.

This thread and poll are the result of a different thread asking if anyone offers the dies for the different feed taps.

I ordered the 8.4 x 1 dies because I want a tap and die to form a front section that would allow the wider convertors to pass through. (the 8.4 Id) while using a 10mm x .75 thread on the outside for the cap threads.

Well this is very timely as I am experimenting with my new M10x0.75x3 tap and die set today.

First observation is that this is not the same thread as the Jr Gent or Baron kits.

These kits do use the 8.4x1mm thread for the section and this fits very well, so that's all good.

However...........there is always an however isn't there.

If, as you are saying, you want to use the M10x0.75x3 for the cap thread (ie male on barrel, and the M8.4x1 for the female section thread, then there is a problem.

First off, when you drill the barrel to 7.4mm ("L" drill) and thread it with the M8.4 tap, the section is hard to screw in, 7.5mm would be better.

This will allow the smaller converters (eg those supplied by Bear Tooth woods and perhaps others) to be used (7.38mm max diam) but not the Schmidt ones (7.64mm-supplied with Jr Gent II kits) and not the ones you have (from memory ex IDP and about 7.85mm?)

Edit: I have just made one with a 7.7mm drill ("N") and the Schmidt converter still doesn't fit in and frankly the wall thickness is such that I would be reluctant to sell a pen made like that.

In fact to accommodate those you would have to drill to 7.9 or 8mm, and you would have no wall thickness left.

DAMHIKT! Drilled out to 8mm and even with the threaded collar on, the threaded portion of the barrel broke off.

Stands to reason of course, the theorectial minor diameter for the M10x0.75 is 9.25mm the which leaves 1.25mm total, or 0.6mm wall thickness. Thsi MAY work in metal, but it certainly didn't work for me in PR.

Last edited:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Yes its intended use for me is for metal. I believe at one point we discoverd that it takes a 7.9mm drill to properly fit the 8.4 taps. Some where on the taps it is tamped .6 they dont cut all the way down.

Top Bottom