deep hollowing system

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Magicbob

I have looked at all the systems put there and believe I have a better idea.
I think I can bring it to market for about $250 complete.
A few features:
* It will work on a midi lathe like we use for pens.
* Uses a carbide cutter
* It can be used on both the upcut or down cut side of the lathe
* will be able to hollow 18" deep thru a 1" hole

As this will not be a cheap startup, I want to gauge the interest.

Thoughts, comments, questions?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

southernclay

Bob would this be a captured hollowing setup or more of an articulated arm setup? I'm not an expert or even amateur in any of them just trying to get a general picture. It's something I love the idea of trying one day and $250 seems reasonable.

duncsuss

Something about the arithmetic isn't adding up for me, perhaps I don't understand what you are proposing.

Would you call the Jet 1221VS a midi lathe?

According to the spec sheet, there's 20.5 inches between centers.

That's before you deduct 3" or thereabouts for a chuck and jaws capable of holding an 18" deep blank. That would leave no space at the tailstock end for either a tool rest or tool capturing system (both of which are usually required -- with some space in between them -- when hollowing deep.)

Magicbob

on a standard midi lathe you would remove the tail stock to hollow, and may not be able to make quite as tall of a piece.
If you have an bed extension you may be able to just slide it all the way to the right.

By up cut and down cut, I am talking about the direction the wood is moving as it touches the cutter.

Down cut is the way we all cut now, the wood is moving down as it passes the cutter.
In up cut, the cutter is mounted different and you cut on the back side as the wood is moving up past the cutter. This allows you to keep the handle end of the cutting tool on the same side of the lathe as you are instead of reaching over the lathe to reach back into the part.

BKind2Anmls

I admire people who have the technical expertise to make these kind of tools and are willing to put in the work to introduce a less expensive, yet premium product, so Bravo! I would be interested. However, I would like to be promised that, if design problems are found after the initial release and customer testing phase, customers who bought the first one wouldn't be forced to pay full price for a second one.

I'm not trying to be unreasonable, it's just that I have been burned by this before.

Last edited:

Magicbob

I admire people who have the technical expertise to make these kind of tools and are willing to put in the work to introduce a less expensive, yet premium product, so Bravo! I would be interested. However, I would like to be promised that, if design problems are found after the initial release and customer testing phase, customers who bought the first one wouldn't be forced to pay full price for a second one.

I'm not trying to be unreasonable, it's just that I have been burned by this before.

Not unreasonable at all.

What I will probably do is make 4 or 5 and ask for beta testers, make changes as required and then when everything looks good, make a general release.

Top Bottom