Crushed Velvet Blank Interest?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Just wondering if there is any interest in the old original "Crushed Velvet" blanks from about 8 or 10 years ago?

I am negotiating for small bunch of them, but at the asking price, I don't want all of them, and it is an all or nothing deal.

Does anyone here have any idea of what they are worth, and would they want any?

I always liked working with it when I first got started.

Thanks,

Bill

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveG

I am interested in Joining you in your purchase, but do not have any input to a fair price. At a fair market (or hopefully lower) I would like to get multiple colors and a total of 30 blanks, if that fits with what you are discussing. If price is considered low, I would probably go for double that amount. Do you have pricing info now?

MichaelD

Bill, for those of us not around back then, got any more details. I got a few of the blue crushed velvet from Richard Greenwald which I really like but that's all he offers. I would be interested in more options for my kitless pens if I knew more. Maybe 20 to 30.

Hi Michael & Wayne,

First, they are solid and not pre-drilled. They are about 5/8" square.

I do not know if it is the same material that was purchased from Richard Greenwald.
All I know is that it is the same material that I used to like turning about 10 years ago.
It worked easily. I remember it being somewhat softer than the acrylics of today.
I have been absent from the hobby for quite a few years until recently, so I don't know why or when it stopped being sold. I think I used to buy it from CSUSA.
I am trying to find out if there is any demand for them, and what they might be worth. I don't want to get stuck with them.

I will post more details as they become available.

Thanks,

Bill

Last edited:

Bigj51

Depending on the price I would be interested as well! I scored a 6" x 6" x 5/8" slab in black crushed velvet last year. That stuff is hard hard hard to find! I don't get to turn as much as I'd like but I'd like to have some for future projects.

OKLAHOMAN

Guy's the original crushed velvet came from England and was about 5/8 square. There were a few other blanks called crushed velvet, so be careful.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Dan 5/8 is .6250 Jr gents are .565 cap diameters it will do all but the really large pens.
It will probably be expensive enough that you wont want to waste it on a slim line but there is no rule you cant make one from it.

Joey-Nieves

I googled Crushed velvet to see what this is all about and now I'm more confused than before. It seems that this beautiful material is rare here in the states and runs for $12 to $25 a blank, but in the UK their about $3 and comes in many colors.
Would it be the same thing?
Do we have an idea how much this little venture is going to cost us?
I'm in if the price is fair.

Dan Masshardt

Dan 5/8 is .6250 Jr gents are .565 cap diameters it will do all but the really large pens. It will probably be expensive enough that you wont want to waste it on a slim line but there is no rule you cant make one from it.

I wouldn't want to use it for a 7mm pen.

Dies it come round then? I was thinking 5/8" square.

Anybody have a pic of this stuff or a pen made from it?

Thanks to all who have given some input. At first it looked like there was not going to be much interest, but the info here now has helped me out.

I can understand some of the concerns being voiced, but I am quite certain that these blanks are the real deal. I still have some of the pens I turned from it many years ago, and it is the same stuff.

If I can acquire them, I plan to keep some for myself, and I will offer the rest at the cost I end up paying for them. I will post pics at that time, and to be fair, I will offer them to those that showed an interest, in the order of their replies. I am not looking to profit from this.

I will post any updates here.

Thanks,

Bill

Top Bottom