Craft Coat (CC) - A new water-based finishing product - Page 8 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > IAP Marketplace > Market Research
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2014, 06:38 PM   #71 (permalink)

Photos: 0

I gave it a quick try the other day. Application is very easy.

I need to keep experimenting though. I want more shine than I got on the first try.
Dan Masshardt is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-09-2014, 07:25 PM   #72 (permalink)

Photos: 50

I've just started turning a rod (fishing) handle out of BOW today and will try to have it completed in a day or two. Been feeling a little feverish and achy today and hope it's just a cold and not something worse. Can't wait to give the stuff a try.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:47 AM   #73 (permalink)

Photos: 134

Well I finally got my CC and have now given it a try. 1st impressions not good.
I was OK to apply not as fast as CA, I liked the low or hardly any odor.
But as others have said it does not pop the grain like CA as with most if not all water bourn finishes it does not have the richness of the non water bourn products.
The 1st two pictures are CA 8 coats and the 2nd two pictures are CC 12 coats.
I could not start my finishing on the CC after the 12 coats as it was too soft and had to wait overnight.
I am now doing a dipping method but this will take a little more time to get the coats on.
Oh just another FYI don't try to use plastic polish on it.DAMHIKT.

Lin.
Attached Thumbnails
photo-1.jpg   photo-2.jpg   photo-3.jpg   photo-4.jpg  
Advertisement
Old 02-16-2014, 11:03 PM   #74 (permalink)

Photos: 7

I used CC on a few pens last week. Here's my review on CC:

I applied it very similar to my CA method with the exception of using BLO to pop the grain some.
I used 10-12 coats while turning on the lathe, waiting about a minute between coats. Once dry, I lightly sanded with 600 to smooth it out. After that I did 9 steps of Micromesh and a final polish with Novus 2.
Some of the pluses were easy clean-up, no fumes and no sticky fingers.

Since I just finished the pens, I can't comment on the durability.

The one thing I couldn't achieve was a super glossy finish. While the finish seemed to be clear of defects, I couldn't get the shine like CA. That won't stop my from using it but I'll just have to decide whether I want a semi gloss finish or a shiny finish.
I do plan on using CC on some stoppers and ornaments in the near future so I'm excited to see how it works on those items....
Old 02-25-2014, 07:11 AM   #75 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alankulwicki7 View Post
I do plan on using CC on some stoppers and ornaments in the near future so I'm excited to see how it works on those items....
Thank you for your review. Past experience with stoppers and ornaments have shown me that the dipping method worked very well.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:26 AM   #76 (permalink)

I've only done a few with cc so far but hope do do several more and write some more in depth.

I suspect that we will come up with some consensus on the product.

Everyone seems to agree that the product is very easy to apply.

It feels great.

Getting the high shine is the question mark. I'm wondering if buffing wheels may be the factor there.

I haven't broken mine out yet, but will this week in the testing process.

I found plastic polish to dull the finish.

I used eee paste wax on the last one and got a good satin / slight gloss.

By the way, I used the suggestion of using some mylands while sanding on open grain wood. Works good. I'll share more on this later.

Have any of the other testers used buffing wheels yet?
Old 02-25-2014, 07:27 AM   #77 (permalink)

Since it has been rather cold in my shop recently... stupid winter... I have been experimenting with alternative methods of finishing with CC.

Here is what I have tried and seems to work out well for me, but takes a tad longer to do...

• With the blank on the lathe or off, does not matter. Using a paper towel or small piece of cotton cloth (I usually have 3" squares stacked up of the stuff) wipe on a thin layer of CC lengthwise of the blank. (I have been doing it off the lathe and in side the house since it has been cold) If you are doing this off the lathe, I cannot stress enough THIN layers.
  • Allow it to dry. Drying times vary depending on temperature. In the winter, I have been doing this in the house since there is almost no smell, and the drying times are faster inside the house too. I usually do this when I have several pens to do, and it is less time outside in the much colder shop. I have usually done this with 20-30 or more pen single sections, (30 wall street II, 15 cigar pens, etc...). I line them all up and start on one side; by the time I get to the last tube I go back to the first tube to repeat the process for about 5-8 coats.
  • After wiping on the finish and setting it to the side to move to the next blank, I stand them up on end to keep them from laying flat. I flip the blank on each coat so that the same end of the blank is not always down.
  • I put the blank back on the lathe and lightly hit it with 2000 grit dry and then finish normally, with my finishing steps.
I only recently started doing this as it was really too cold to muck around in the shop longer than I really needed to. In the last six weeks or so, I have finished about 80 pens with this method. So far, it seems to work out well for me.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:28 AM   #78 (permalink)

Photos: 36

Now that I've wrapped up my bash activities I should have a chance to play around with the cc some more. There are a lot of things I want to try with it.

Ed
Ed McDonnell is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-25-2014, 07:30 AM   #79 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Masshardt View Post
I'm wondering if buffing wheels may be the factor there.
Dan,

I use buffing wheels on all my finishes. That may be where I am getting the higher gloss shine others are not seeing. I am only do in a light buffing on the blanks too.

Michael
Old 02-25-2014, 07:38 AM   #80 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashmph View Post
Dan, I use buffing wheels on all my finishes. That may be where I am getting the higher gloss shine others are not seeing. I am only do in a light buffing on the blanks too. Michael
This is my hypothesis. I will test it.
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads