Craft Coat (CC) - A new water-based finishing product

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NittanyLion

I'm fortunate enough to have been given a sample by a good friend on here to try out. I've used it on two pens and feel very good. The level of shine I am able to achieve is very close to CA. The biggest thing missing is the depth of the shine, but with little thickness, that is to be expected.

I played around with different finishing techniques. The best for me was by use of cloth type micro mesh. I believe it's from CSUSA. I could not get the same results with foam backed MM, getting a duller shine. I used it at high speed, no backing, just my fingers, and only for about 5 seconds per sheet. For application, 10-12 coats....about 5 seconds back and forth(though some were double coats where I would re-apply more). At least a minute between coats, sometimes 5. I then waited 2 hours to MM.

I do question the durability.....only because It is water based.

Hope this helps.

Crashmph

Hi all,

Now that we are into March and the bash is settling down, I would love to see some of your results with CC. To the winners of the CC packages, please give it a shot and post your results when you get some time.

Also, now that we are going to have CC in 6oz and 2oz bottles with some of our favorite venders on IAP, I guess I should post a picture of the new bottles.

image.jpg

Dan Masshardt

Micheal - in working on some putting some more thoughts together.

My impression is that this product is one for which small differences in process can result in a fairly substantial difference in final finish.

Crashmph

Which vendors are carrying it? I would like to give it a try.

More to follow. We are working out the details with venders now.

Micheal - in working on some putting some more thoughts together.

My impression is that this product is one for which small differences in process can result in a fairly substantial difference in final finish.

You are right Dan. Experimenting with CC is the best advice I can give. Once you get a process down, you can get awesome results.

Michael

I haven't much time today to do a detailed review. I will though. I used this for the first time yesterday on Wenge. I put on multiple layers and I was impressed by the finish. I hate the the way ca glue hurts my eyes, sticks to everything in the world and makes my nose run. I don't have to wear a mask when I use this. Best finish I've used yet.

keithlong

I would love a sample myelf. I make several freedom pens and I like to put a CA finish on them for durability. CA is getting to be a little more expensive and my personal liking is to put a good durable finish on my pens. I would like to try it on a pen and handle the pen a lot to try it out.

duncsuss

I would love a sample myelf. I make several freedom pens and I like to put a CA finish on them for durability. CA is getting to be a little more expensive and my personal liking is to put a good durable finish on my pens. I would like to try it on a pen and handle the pen a lot to try it out.

Both Roy and Ed have it available, it's not expensive ... Classic Nib: Craft Coat 2oz or Exotic Blanks: Craft Coat 2oz

Last edited:

Dan Masshardt

Dan, I'd love your updated review. Pens plus vs craft coat

Wow - haven't seen this in awhile. I found craft coat to be similar to wood turners finish but I think a bit better.

It's a whole different type of finish from
Pens plus though.

I like having a couple finishing methods ready to use. For me it's ca and pens plus when it comes to pens.

But I do believe craft coat to be a high quality product and I'd recommend it, Even though I don't really use it.

kyaggie

My goto finish now is to do a soaking coat of thin CA, then sanding down with a 500 grit Abralon pad and then 5 to 6 coats of Craft Coat (with 1 minute between coats). The CA gives a nice hard base as well as really making the grain and color "pop." The Craft Coat then gives a very durable, hard, water resistant high gloss finish without the "plastic" look of CA.

Here are some recent utensils, mills and a Desire fountain pen using this method.

Mike

Attachments

• MatchedUtensils1.jpg
    MatchedUtensils1.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 311
  • L&Bs-Mills-1.jpg
    L&Bs-Mills-1.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 306
  • Amboyna-Hancock.jpg
    Amboyna-Hancock.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 323
Top Bottom