Coyote pen Clip

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I have had some comments on the Coyote pen and one was that the clip is too big/long.
I would like to get some input from you as a pen turner of what you would like to see.

Please keep in mind.

These are all made in the USA and are made from flat Stainless steel and are not parts that already exist from China.

We will make a 1000 clip run next week and I need to make the changes to the current design in the next couple of days.

Your input would be appreciated.

You can PM me with your design and/or post it here please.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Signguy

I use a lot of your kits and really like them overall, but the only thing I don't like is the clip.

It seems thin and unsubstantial compared to the rest of the components. I'd love to see something beefier and less "sheet metal" looking on all of them.

To me, the clips look inexpensive conpared to the other components.

Maybe the coyote run would be a good place to experiment with a different clip design?

Dan Masshardt

My thought is that the clip is too big and dwarfs the small pen.

The same clip but thinner would be an improvement.

The clip on the liberty is very nice and substantial. When I put the coyote together I wondered if the clips belonged to the other pens :).

So my thought is rather use a modified liberty clip or the existing clip but pared down.

Having a different clip from the liberty might keep the coyote unique, or they could be similar, just. 2 size variations on a theme.

Thanks for asking us!!

walshjp17

In my opinion, the Coyote clip is a bit too bog (long). I agree with Dan that a shorter version of the Liberty clip might do the trick.

SteveG

I have made this comment to you via email or PM. I put it out here to see what others think also. This is a smaller pen which indicates it is marketed toward women. That being said, I know from long experience (20+ years selling my handcrafted items), that women prefer smooth curves over straight or angular shapes. The current clip is over size,,,length and width. It also has aa distinct angle visible in the side view.
Recommendation: Resize down both length and width, and use a smooth curve as seen in the profile view. With these changes, both you and us turners will likely see a nice increase in sales of this pen.

Cmiles1985

I agree with the above regarding size. I tried carrying a Coyote for a day or two, and the clip went straight through the fabric on my coveralls. I don't know what to recommend there, but something to consider with the flat metal.

I use a lot of your kits and really like them overall, but the only thing I don't like is the clip.

It seems thin and unsubstantial compared to the rest of the components. I'd love to see something beefier and less "sheet metal" looking on all of them.

To me, the clips look inexpensive conpared to the other components.

Maybe the coyote run would be a good place to experiment with a different clip design?

The clip is the most expensive item on any of the pens I make.

I can make any design I can think of but it is not always worth the cost and time to make it.

To make a clip that is formed like the kits you get from China has been made in a progressive die. I have several quotes in the range of $30000 to $40000 for a die for one clip design. I have six different clips.

I can get it from China but defeats the whole point of making parts in the USA.

This is the current process.

Laser cut the clips
Clean the edges by hand
Tumble the clips
Hand Bend the clips
Heat treat the clips
Tumble the clips
Hand buff and polish the clips

Signguy

Yikes, I cam see where that's a problem. Shame there is not an easier, less expensive way.

Would it work to cast them? Or is that not possible with stainless?

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I don't see any problem with Liberty, Desire or Eagle clips. I think the Coyote clip is a little out of proportion to the size of the pen and would like it better if it were a little smaller (both length and width.

I thought there was a USA Company that made clips. But I don't know that they do stainless.

MyKidsDad

I'd love to see something beefier and less "sheet metal" looking on all of them.

To me, the clips look inexpensive compared to the other components.

For what it's worth, I agree with this. I read Constant's explanation about the clips being the most time consuming/most expensive part of the kits and I believe it. But, I still agree with the above statement.

I'd love to see something beefier and less "sheet metal" looking on all of them.

To me, the clips look inexpensive compared to the other components.

For what it's worth, I agree with this. I read Constant's explanation about the clips being the most time consuming/most expensive part of the kits and I believe it. But, I still agree with the above statement.

The quantities just does not justify the cost of making clips like that. I wish there was an easy way out. I will change the design bit will still be made from a sheet metal.

Signguy

Hi Constant,

Would it wok to increase the gauge of the sheet metal?

That way you could use the same process but add some heft, and a thicker side view profile to the clip so it better fits with the gorgeous heavy turned components.

Just a thought...I love the kits and will continue to buy them regardless, but it would be a nice small improvement IMHO.

Top Bottom