Blank Length For Kitless

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

IPD_Mr

What do you consider the optimum blank length for making a kitless pen so that you can keep the graining pretty much aligned?

Does your design include the section or nosecone to be in the same material or like the vintage pens do you use a solid color such as black for those? If it does then this would keep your length needs down on the main blank.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
I always try to buy material in the longest length available as I never know how much I am going to need. Sometimes its just for finials and blinds, accents and laminations, others its for everything you mentioned. I like to cut off what I need and put the rest away for the future. Most of the ebonite I have, I got in 1/2 meter sections which has turned out great. The only thing better would have been 1 meter pieces. If I see an unusual material such as celluloid or bakelite, I try to get at least 10 inches. If I'm casting something, I usually make at least 2 6" pieces. The minimum I ever get is about 10", even if its in 2 pieces but usually some extra for screw-ups.

Timebandit

The minimum i would need is around 7.5" and thats for the new Empire pens i have been making that doesnt have a threaded finial and thats if i dont make it with the button filler. Most of my other pens are in the just over 8" to 8.5-9" max for the blank. I try to buy everything in rods so that i dont have to have 2 separate blanks, which produces waste and which makes you work harder to line up any grain pattern in the blank, if you even can. I always make the front section out of the same material, unless i dont have enough of that material and then i will make a black section. I like everything to be the same and match. I just think it looks classy :)

Top Bottom