Any intrest in damascus blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magier412

Are these something that could be turned on a wood lathe with carbide tools? If so, I'd definitely be interested as a very specialty blank. :)

elkhorn

Classic Nib used to have Damascus blanks that were tubed and turned for a couple of specific kits, e.g., Jr. Gent or Jr. Statesman. They've been out for quite awhile.

triw51

Keith: "Are you referring to M3 metals or real Damascus?"
Real damascus 1085 and nickel 200 forged welded solid.

Kay: "Are these something that could be turned on a wood lathe with carbide tools? If so, I'd definitely be interested as a very specialty blank. :)"
No these would not turn on a wood lathe

elkhorn: "Classic Nib used to have Damascus blanks that were tubed and turned for a couple of specific kits, e.g., Jr. Gent or Jr. Statesman. They've been out for quite awhile."
No these would not be predrilled or turned.

Last edited:

Curly

I have a metal lathe and mill so would prefer solid for kitless pens. William would you be offering them as forged and rough or turning to a 3/4 or 7/8 round and true bar? I would have to admit that it isn't some thing that I would buy many of.

I suppose what I should do is get my anvil and forge out and try to make my own. I need to figure out how to forge some new time in the day too. :rolleyes:

magier412

Kay: "Are these something that could be turned on a wood lathe with carbide tools? If so, I'd definitely be interested as a very specialty blank. :)"
No these would not turn on a wood lathe...

Thanks for the answer, William. I probably wouldn't be interested from a pen making perspective then, but I MIGHT be interested from a jewelry/metalsmithing perspective. :) I have been interested in getting some damascus to see how I could incorporate it into my jewelry making, so could be something we could work together on there. :)

Let me know if you are interested. It's likely not going to be huge orders unless I get into knife making. ;)

I work in mokume gane (mostly copper/silver, but also some gold/silver patterns when I have the demand) and I think that it'd be fun to play with some damascus. ;)

Cheers!

Top Bottom