Any interest in pen maker specific drill bit holder?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Carl Fisher

I'm about half way through expanding my CNC right now. Waiting on my GT2 belting to show up on the slow boat from Hong Kong :(

Once I'm up and running, I should be able to crank out several of these at a time and I just have to iron out the best way to get the engraving to show up in the MDF. I may pre-paint the surface of the wood and just engrave through the paint, we'll see.

Carl Fisher

I have, but everything I add drives the cost up. Right now I"m trying to hit a target price and still provide a piece that will hold up in the shop.

Fish30114

Carl, good that you seem to be continuing to recover-God bless You. I would be surely interested in what you learn/know about laser engraving--is that something you would do yourself? If you have any scoop about lasers, just let me know--maybe shoot me a PM.

Looking forward to this when you get rolling!

Carl Fisher

I will say that in the time I've been using my prototype, it's become invaluable. When I'm looking for a specific size bit and maybe need just a touch bigger or smaller, all I have to do is look to the decimal on the bits regardless if they are metric, standard or letter. I know there are reference sheets galore out there, including on I created in the library here, but it's just so much easier to just look at the bit holder itself.

Carl Fisher

Hey guys, I'm not forgetting about everyone. The CNC is almost alive again now that I'm back on my feet. One more good weekend should see it up and running and I'll have to work out all of the calibration before I start making cuts.

I have a bunch of 1/2" MDF lined up waiting to be cut.

Once I can start making them with some precision, I'll announce where and how you can buy them.

Thanks for the patience so far.

Carl Fisher

Well, I've been told that my weekend is booked solid outside of the shop and I still have 5 custom orders paid and waiting to get turned so yet another week is likely to go by before I can get the CNC up and running.

Sorry guys, I'm really trying. I promise :redface:

Wpixley

Please add me to list of buyers. This looks to be exactly what is need for better organizing my garage shop.

J_B

Hi Carl,
Count me in on one. But while piddlin out in the garage last night I thought of something that would me since I am so mm & fractionally challenged...why not have a bit rack that each hole is indicated by the pen kit it is associated to? Such as....

O O O o
Cigar Sierra Majestic

2cents
jb

Frog Morton

Very nice, I would purchase one when they become available.

I have something similar that I cobbed together a while back, but I like the clean look of this piece much better than mine.

Tom T

Carl,
I would like one also please. I may already be on the list. The first thing to go is the mind. It may have been the second. I simply can't recall.

Carl Fisher

I do not have an ETA, no. Other priorities have taken over now that I'm back up on my feet. The CNC is more or less running, but I haven't been able to set aside time for this project yet.

leodelion

I am definitely interested. Put me on the list. And thanks for all the work you have put in on this project. Much appreciated.

Carl Fisher

Sorry guys, this project sort of fell by the way side.

I still have the CAD files but they need some tweaks as I never was happy with the engraving portion or found a material I was happy with for the price point I was trying to hit.

MDF is the cheapest and easiest but I'm still worried about swelling over time from spills and such in the shop. Plastics are too pricey and corian was too heavy.

I may try to get back to this at some point in the future, but for now it's been put way on the back burner.

Last edited:

Skie_M

Hmm ... where's my book on necromancy? I bet my necromancer has it .... ahhh, found it ...

Let's see .... Necro Posting ... how to, things to avoid, people to avoid annoying .... meh, this is all nonsense, let's just post and revive this dead topic and reap the havoc it may spill!

So ... any chance we could get the CAD/CAM or SketchUP files? Any chance you could try again with the Corian, but first mill the entire surface down to 3/8" or 1/4" if the 1/2" is way too heavy?

Apparently, people out here are still rabidly chomping at the bit (drill bits punningly included) to get your cute lil organizer and stuff it full of goodies!

Top Bottom