Any interest in high-end stopper blanks?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hotblanks

How many of you make stoppers and would you be interested in buying very nice burl and figured blanks?

I have some super blanks for personal use but should I take the time to cut more for sale. I would hate to cut up very expensive guitar billets and not be able to sale the stopper blanks.

The photo is of one of my Exhibition grade Redwood burl stopper blanks.

Thanks, Randy.

Attachments

• DSC_0327c[1].jpg
    DSC_0327c[1].jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 182
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

crabcreekind

I am not sure how many people will like turning unstabilized redwood burl, because of how soft it is. You also have the thread it, and it doesnt work very well on soft woods. But the price really determines it.

hotblanks

James or anyone else.

I've turned a lot of Redwood and even though it a softer wood, it comes out looking great. I usually finish with CA. Heck, I've even turned bark before.

Is there something to do with the threading that might cause a problem? Could you use CA on the threads to fix that if there is a problem with softer woods?

Thanks, Randy.

warthog

Yes...I know from experience. The softer woods need to be stabilized in order to hold the threads. If your threads were a quarter inch deep...maybe not...but there are those designs that will not tolerate that. They need to be stabilized. Email me when you get it done...and I'll buy some from you. Good looking wood.

Boss302

On softer woods where you worry about the threads holding up just drill a 1/2" hole one in deep and then glue in an Oak or other hardwood dowel. You can then drill out and tap the dowel. This is much easier and cheaper than stabilizing the wood.

Top Bottom