any interest in fresh-cut curly Bradford pear wood?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Penguin

I recently cut up a large Bradford pear and sold most of the wood to my local club members. I still have 20-30 pieces that I'd like to sell. The tree was cut 3 weeks ago and all endgrain was sealed with Anchorseal.

most of them are logs about 8-10" in length, cut in half through the pith. there may be a few whole log pieces left (not split) and some random pieces that would be good cut into small end-grain box blanks. I'm trying to decide if it's worth the effort to photograph them individually and post them for sale here, or drop them off at Woodcraft for consignment.

I'm thinking about $3 per pound, plus shipping.

the wood itself has beautiful color, and lots of curl. Here's a couple of sample bowls that were turned out of it.

post up if you're interested. If enough interest, I'll get busy taking pictures and weighing each piece.

Attachments

• 20131206_214454.jpg
    20131206_214454.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 375
  • 20131206_202221.jpg
    20131206_202221.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 343
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Waluy

I'd be interested in some. I had quite a collection of it sitting outside (first attempt to see if I could get some of it to spalt) and my landlord thought it was debris and sent out a tree removal service by the time I got home they were throwing the last log into the chipper :(

The Penguin

My last name is Bradford. Would be interested in a few pen blanks.

I'm not intending to cut into pen blanks - but if I have a few pieces left over, I might do that.

Your woodcraft takes wood consignments?
we have 2 woodcrafts in Houston, both take consignments.

lately they've had cottonwood or elm for $20 a BF, pecan by the pound, and some osage orange by the "chunk"

it sounds like there's some interest - so I'll get busy and try to have a post up in the classifieds by this weekend.

thanks for the responses so far.

homemade

Trash

Every home in my neighborhood has at least one bradford pear tree, including mine. I hate them, so I cut mine down and replaced it with a real pear tree. Red cedar is plentiful here in N. AL. I've made a few pens from it and they look great, especially when the pens are a gift to the man who owns the land from which the wood come from. Your bowls really look great. I had no idea that bradford pear look so great. Strong winds here destroy these trees, so I won't have any problem finding the wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom