• Very intrested in 6x16 without cover

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Very intrested in a tower

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • Not intrested at all

Votes: 15 32.6%

• Total voters

OKLAHOMAN

Back when I was doing shows I had made some displays that worked really well for me. I have shown them here a few times and every time I've been asked where to get them and how much. I made them and they were fine for my purposes but not professionally made.
I have now designed displays that I have had the acrylic laser cut to size and acrylic welded together. The first two are both 12x16 and can hold and display up to 44 pens (I prefer to display 22 as sometimes less is better) The first one has no top or as I call it child guard and has the pens tilted toward the customer at approximately 18 degrees and the customer can (and will) reach in and pick up the pens. This one is for you that want your customer picking up the pens.
Click for larger view
002.jpg

The second one is exactly the same but has the added child guard that keeps fingers away and gives you the opportunity to sell the pen just as if it was a fine piece of jewelry.

Click for larger view
001.jpg

I sent a prototype to a member here that was not laser cut and had th wrong hinges on it to see if it would ship without damage. This member was 1200 miles away to give me an idea on shipping cost and also on potential damage.

The more acrylic I buy and have laser cut the less of course it cost but these still will not be cheap.

Before I order enough to get at the best price I would like to here feedback from those that do shows and also those that want to display their pens hat home.
I can also put an acrylic latch that would lock the case for you that leave on consigment.

I have not come to a final price but shipped in the neighborhood of $130 no top and $150 with a top. Could be less if I can buy enough for 20 display cases at a time.

I will also have a display case that would be aprromatly 6x16 that would hold 24 pens or 12 double spaced and a tower

Please leave your thought as to design, price or any improvements you think might be made.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenMan1

I am one of the members that received one of the prototypes to try. My reaction is "why didn't I have these cases, before". The prototype arrive here in perfect condition and the set up of the case for use took less than 10 seconds.

The case panels are set to the perfect angle for view from table height. I tried using this display at standard table height and from a raised 40 inch high table. While the display case works well at standard height, on a 40 inch table, the tilted angle of the case puts the pens at a perfect angle for viewing.

We use Rubbermaid waterproof boxes to move and store our show materials between shows. This display is a perfect size for these boxes. My measurements indicate that I can put 5 of these displays in one Rubbermaid box and leave room for wrapping in small moving blankets. At 44 pens per box, 5 display boxes will allow us to display 220 pens at once.

Since the "pen pads" are not permanently attached inside display case, this allows for quick "on the fly" display changes while at shows. Additionally, this feature allows removal of one of the pen pads. To us, this is a very important feature. By removing one pad the display doesn't look "goofy" and the display doesn't looked "picked over".

I DIDN'T like the hinge that came on the prototype display. It interfered with viewin the bottom row of pens. I CAN TELL BY LOOKING THE PICTURES IN THIS AD THAT THIS FEATURE HAS ALREADY BEEN IMPROVED.

Perhaps the nicest feature is the way that it opens. It opens to the front. This achieves 2 OBJECTIVES. By opening forward, it makes it difficult for small children to open the box. The REAR opening mechanism is too far away for the "little guys" to reach. Secondly the "stay open" lever on the lid allows the demonstrator/ salesman to use both hand to present the pen to the potential customer. This gives the salesperson a chance to demonstrate how to screw open and close a pen, RATHER THAN sitting the pen on the table while the salesman yutzes with a display case.

There is NO QUESTION that this display case was designed and built by someone who has done plenty of pen shows and fully understands the absolute necessity of properly functioning, high-end display cases. Additionally the builder of this display understands the importance of simple and damage free transport and storage and the importance of being able to replace the "pen pads" as they begin to look "show worn".

In looking around for similar high-end displays to show my wares. I have found similar displays ranging in price from $150-250. AND these displays still must be modified to effectively display pens.

After using this display for one week, I give this display a grade of A-. This case could easily go to an A++++ rating, simply by allowing accress from the rear to store nibs and refills under the riser panels. This is WITHOUT QUESTION the most "user friendly" and "art show ready" pen display I have seen or used. I WILL BE PURCHASING THESE DISPLAYs!

Respectfully submitted.

PenMan1

Sorry, I just goofed up my vote. I tried to select 6x16 WITH COVER, but fat fingered the iPhone and instead voted "without cover@

BSea

I thought I'd comment since I voted. I'm not interested, but it isn't because I don't think they are useful for people that do shows, or sell a lot of pens from their home. I do neither, so I don't have an interest. But one thing I really like is how you have your company etched into the case. Very nice touch.

OKLAHOMAN

I am one of the members that received one of the prototypes to try. My reaction is "why didn't I have these cases, before". The prototype arrive here in perfect condition and the set up of the case for use took less than 10 seconds.

The case panels are set to the perfect angle for view from table height. I tried using this display at standard table height and from a raised 40 inch high table. While the display case works well at standard height, on a 40 inch table, the tilted angle of the case puts the pens at a perfect angle for viewing.

We use Rubbermaid waterproof boxes to move and store our show materials between shows. This display is a perfect size for these boxes. My measurements indicate that I can put 5 of these displays in one Rubbermaid box and leave room for wrapping in small moving blankets. At 44 pens per box, 5 display boxes will allow us to display 220 pens at once.

Since the "pen pads" are not permanently attached inside display case, this allows for quick "on the fly" display changes while at shows. Additionally, this feature allows removal of one of the pen pads. To us, this is a very important feature. By removing one pad the display doesn't look "goofy" and the display doesn't looked "picked over".

I DIDN'T like the hinge that came on the prototype display. It interfered with viewin the bottom row of pens. I CAN TELL BY LOOKING THE PICTURES IN THIS AD THAT THIS FEATURE HAS ALREADY BEEN IMPROVED.

Perhaps the nicest feature is the way that it opens. It opens to the front. This achieves 2 OBJECTIVES. By opening forward, it makes it difficult for small children to open the box. The REAR opening mechanism is too far away for the "little guys" to reach. Secondly the "stay open" lever on the lid allows the demonstrator/ salesman to use both hand to present the pen to the potential customer. This gives the salesperson a chance to demonstrate how to screw open and close a pen, RATHER THAN sitting the pen on the table while the salesman yutzes with a display case.

There is NO QUESTION that this display case was designed and built by someone who has done plenty of pen shows and fully understands the absolute necessity of properly functioning, high-end display cases. Additionally the builder of this display understands the importance of simple and damage free transport and storage and the importance of being able to replace the "pen pads" as they begin to look "show worn".

In looking around for similar high-end displays to show my wares. I have found similar displays ranging in price from $150-250. AND these displays still must be modified to effectively display pens.

After using this display for one week, I give this display a grade of A-. This case could easily go to an A++++ rating, simply by allowing accress from the rear to store nibs and refills under the riser panels. This is WITHOUT QUESTION the most "user friendly" and "art show ready" pen display I have seen or used. I WILL BE PURCHASING THESE DISPLAYs!

Respectfully submitted.

Sorry, I just goofed up my vote. I tried to select 6x16 WITH COVER, but fat fingered the iPhone and instead voted "without cover@

Andy thank you for the glowing review, Yes I changed the hinges as I also thought the prototype hinge was blocking the view on the bottom row, I will make some with an opening in the back to store refills and nibs, great Idea.

So far it looks like I will be offering these right after the first of the year.

OKLAHOMAN

Bob thanks for your comment, My company name will not be in the front for the production models but I can put the name of the company of the purchasher and I will have my name , phone and website on the back of the units.

I thought I'd comment since I voted. I'm not interested, but it isn't because I don't think they are useful for people that do shows, or sell a lot of pens from their home. I do neither, so I don't have an interest. But one thing I really like is how you have your company etched into the case. Very nice touch.

OKLAHOMAN

I've been asked if I had a photo of the 6x16 with a top display so today I cut some acrylic to make a prototype and will acrylic weld it tomorrow and hope to have a photo uploaded .

OKLAHOMAN

Photo of the 6 x 16

As promised, here is the prototype of the 6x16,on the left, I used some scrap acrylic that was badly scratched but it will give you the idea and it gave me the dimensions I need to order the laser cut acrylic in.
Notice that the angle on the display is the same as the larger 12 x 16 and the angle of the top is also to give a nice uniform look on your table if you order both sizes. Sorry for the crappy photo and all the scratches but as I had been asked and I have enough intrest in I will be making these also.

001.JPG

dow

Roy, will these have a latch on the back? Also, what will your tower look like? I'm currently using a locking tower that's about 9"x9"x20" with two inside shelves, giving me three levels that I can display on. I find this to be a convenient size, but would be interested in seeing yours.

OKLAHOMAN

Dow, a latch can be added if your looking to leave your display with pens on consignment & lock your display so only salespeople can enter. I hope to have a prototype of the tower next week, we are designing it to be collapsible and waiting for the pined hinges to arrive.
BTW we will have received our first shipment of laser cut acrylics to manufacture our first batch of displays in both the 12x16 and the 6x16 sizes on January 2nd. Here' what it will look like.

Attachments

• hasp.jpg
    hasp.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
Top Bottom