Accurate Temperature Controller for Toaster Ovens?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fibonacci

I built a toaster oven controller for doing solder reflow work and powdercoating over the weekend. It uses a themocouple and a PID loop to maintain an accurate temp (+/- 3-5 degrees F).

It occured to me that this might be something that other people would be interested in for casting. The current configuration is programmed with an existing temperature profile (heat to t1, hold for d1, heat to t2, hold for d2, cool to t3, hold for d3, shut off) that starts when you press a button. It would not be difficult to add the ability to configure it over bluetooth or serial if people wanted that.

Another option would be to have a couple of buttons with a different profile associated with each one.

It would work on any toaster oven that I have seen. You just open it up, run the thermocouple into the chamber, hook up the power connector in place of the existing timer/temp sensor and off you go.

-----------------

Is this something that people are interested in? If so, how would you like to interface to it? Depending on the features, some other components may be necessary, but the price should be under $50.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Katya

I'd be interested... am starting to look at getting into PR casting and I have an old toaster oven that I'd devote to the cause. Please keep me posted!
Cheers
Catherine

theidlemind

Pictures please!!

And maybe we could hook your pid up to a solid state relay that could control 220 volts (two legs of 110?). That would really help me out on my biodiesel processor.

snyiper

I would be interested to see if it could me modified to do 220 as well for my oven converted to Powdercoating!!!

Top Bottom