TruStone Packs For Sale

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Maverick KB

With the Bash coming up and all those wonderful custom pens you're ready to make, I've put together a collection of TruStone segmenting packs. Most of these packs are intended for use in making segmented blanks, custom bands and anything else your imagination can come up with. Width is always 3/4" and length is at least 5", but the height varies considerably. I've tried to stand most of these blanks on their side so that you can get a better idea of the individual thickness of each piece.

Most of these are trimmings from other projects, end cuts and even some "B" blanks. Several packs here have larger pieces that will make very fine pens by themselves, but at least one measurement or side prevents them from being a perfect blank.

I apologize in advance, I do not have the time to sort out individual requests here for orders, so I am listing them in my shop with links below. Segmenting packs are $20 each, B blank packs are $25-35. Shipping is free. While the listing won't show it, these are Amazon Prime listings. This is a great deal for a pound of TruStone. Some of the B blank packs could have sold for over $100.

There are 27 total listings, so the images for each would take up a lot of room and IAP bandwidth/storage. For those reasons I will list only a few images for you to get an idea of what I'm talking about and decide if you're even interested in. The links for each listing will be placed at the bottom of this post and are available first come first serve.

Thank you in advance,
Ken

Use coupon code: IAPPROMO
This will take off 15% on any single purchase and 20% any purchase of 2 or more

Starts 1/30/17 1:00PM PST
Promo code expires 2/28/17 11:59 PM PST - May be used multiple times - one code per purchase (may not be used in conjunction with any other offer)

Pack 1 SOLD
Pack 2 SOLD
Pack 3 SOLD
Pack 4 SOLD
Pack 5
Pack 6
Pack 7 SOLD
Pack 8
Pack 9 SOLD
Pack 10
Pack 11 SOLD
Pack 12
Pack 13 SOLD
Pack 14
Pack 15 SOLD
Pack 16 SOLD
Pack 17 SOLD
Pack 18 SOLD
Pack 19 SOLD
Pack 20 SOLD
Pack 21 SOLD
Pack 22 SOLD
Pack 23 SOLD
Pack 24
Pack 25 SOLD
Pack 26 SOLD
Pack 27 SOLD

Attachments

• TSBB_PACK-3.jpg
    TSBB_PACK-3.jpg
    306.6 KB · Views: 247
  • TSBB_PACK-6.jpg
    TSBB_PACK-6.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 278
  • TSBB_PACK-9.jpg
    TSBB_PACK-9.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 249
  • TSBB_PACK-14.jpg
    TSBB_PACK-14.jpg
    244.4 KB · Views: 246
  • TSBB_PACK-32.jpg
    TSBB_PACK-32.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 255
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skie_M

Bought pack #23 ... looks to be some beautiful turquoise/gold trustone in there to make some nice little things with! :)

Maverick KB

Wow! that was fast!
Thank you Skie. That one is all Turquoise #20 with Gold Matrix. One large piece in there is almost a full size blank. Certainly got your money's worth there.

Maverick KB

I'll try to keep the original post updated as quickly as I can to mark the ones that have sold.

Thank you to all who have ordered already. Your orders have already been boxed up and are ready for post.

Skie_M

Seriously gave thought to grabbing #19 too, but I remembered feeling left out on previous trustone offerings here so I held off ... happy I made that choice, since someone else here apparently needed it! :)

Maverick KB

There will be more to come.
I've got a large box of TruStone that had some issues in the mix. There were some voids and defects, but I've made some really fun things from it with minimal issue. Occasionally it just doesn't work and I've got to scrap it and try another piece. I need to get rid of some of it though, I can't possibly use it all.

I've also got some large oversized pieces. Some 3/4 square up to 12" long. Other pieces are large blocks, like 2-3 bottle stopper blanks in size. I'll keep posting as I have time to sort through everything and get photos taken.

Aerocam2

Thanks for posting Ken,

Hope to try using the trustone soon and I've purchased lots #8, 15, 16, 20, & 21. Any tips you might want to send my way regarding how to glue, machine, finish this material would be greatly appreciated as I'm itching to get at this stuff. Nope..........I'm not addicted to this pen turning thing. I can quit as soon as I go to bed. ;-)

Mack

Maverick KB

Thanks for posting Ken,

Hope to try using the trustone soon and I've purchased lots #8, 15, 16, 20, & 21. Any tips you might want to send my way regarding how to glue, machine, finish this material would be greatly appreciated as I'm itching to get at this stuff. Nope..........I'm not addicted to this pen turning thing. I can quit as soon as I go to bed. ;-)

Mack

Mack,

Sharp tools, turn fast & sand slow, sharp tools oh and sharp tools.
Carbide tips work best. Take your time, go slow. Tools may heat up with TruStone due to the friction and it will dull the edge quicker than you're used to if you haven't used it before. Keep an eye on your cutting edge, keep it sharp. Don't try to take off too much at once. Like acrylic, that can be a big problem. Sometimes, when it just seems to be fighting the chisel for whatever reason, I've found some 80-120 grit abrasive will remove material as fast or faster than a chisel with more control. Don't be afraid to stop short and sand down.

Sand the ends true, don't mill them. 1, you'll dull your pen mill quick and they aren't fun to sharpen. 2. you could experience bad results like a blowout or cracking.

Leave about .1-.2 inches for finishing and polishing. Go through every grit you have and finish with Micro Mesh pads or buffing wheel just like acrylic.

Epoxy, E6000 and similar glues work well. CA works fine, but TruStone isn't porous enough for CA to get as firm a grip. I discovered this with segmenting a herringbone pattern with individual little pieces. Most of the CA held fine without issue, so for 90% of cases, it'll work fine. If you're doing something fancy involving a lot of little pieces though, I would consider something a little different.

TruStone was originally developed to stabilize turquoise for the jewelery industry, but has become a large number of products over the last 30 years. In that time the company that makes it has expanded into bar tops and sink basins. The resins and TruStone formula are still intended to provide for the jewelery market and the modified formula we use for pen turning is much the same, but with a slightly different recipe that uses a little less ore and a more pliable resin. It might be a good idea to think of it more like a counter top material and work it like an acrylic than anything else.

I hope this helps with a good starting point. If you have any more specific questions, let me know and I'll tell you what I can.

Maverick KB

Lets get the last of these gone. In 4 hours the coupon code IAPPROMO will become active. This will take off 15% on any single purchase and 20% any purchase of 2 or more of the last 9 remaining in this list.

Again, after 0200 1/23/17 EST, promo code IAPPROMO for 15% off 1 or 20% off 2 or more on these last remaining packs. Promo code will work until 2359 EST on Sunday 1/29/17.

Any product remaining at that time will be taken down and used by yours truly.

Happy Turning!

Skie_M

Mark sold #4, #25, and #26

I'm liking this 20% discount thingy ... it's too bad I can't really afford to grab a bunch of your large blocks, though. Is there a discount on those as well?

Maverick KB

Mark sold #4, #25, and #26

I'm liking this 20% discount thingy ... it's too bad I can't really afford to grab a bunch of your large blocks, though. Is there a discount on those as well?

I'm going to extend this discount another week and include the large blocks as well.
This should be active at some point today.

Maverick KB

They've all arrived! I'll certainly put the extras to good use, thank you! :)

So glad to hear it.
Sometimes when I see the same name several times I get confused and things fall in boxes. I'm guessing that's what you meant. Happy turning, I'm looking forward to seeing some of the masterpieces.

Top Bottom