Stunning Macassar Ebony kiln dried low price - Page 2 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > IAP Marketplace > For Sale
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
For Sale All sales for cash belong in this forum

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2019, 03:18 PM   #11 (permalink)

Photos: 0

I received mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app
Be kind &
Leave The Rest to God
MRDucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-10-2019, 04:12 PM   #12 (permalink)

Photos: 75

I too have been trying to contact Shirley without success.
Old 03-10-2019, 04:59 PM   #13 (permalink)

Photos: 4

It seems a bit suspicious...
this individual claims to have nine pieces, and shows two. Then posts that if anyone else wants some, to PM them.

The suspicious part is...
this individual has 41 posts, lives in CA., has Ebony for sale, one piece appears to have sap wood, and doesn't respond.
Sounds very similar to another individual that had low posts, lives in CA., was selling Ebony, many people complained about it having a lot of sap wood, didn't respond, and is now banned after giving several people the shaft.

This individual was here twice, pulling the same scam. Maybe a third time?

Caution should be practiced when sending money to someone.

This person was logged on 03/04/19.

............-John-

A clever person solves a problem.
.....A wise person avoids it.

Last edited by Terredax; 03-10-2019 at 05:11 PM.
Terredax is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 03-10-2019, 06:31 PM   #14 (permalink)

To me, the suspicious part is that Maccasar ebony retails at approx $75 a board foot, theses pieces are each 1.17 board feet and should sell in the $85 - $90 range. If a deal sounds too good to be true, it usually is. Red flag should have come up immediately.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app
Cuetips is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-10-2019, 09:52 PM   #15 (permalink)

I guess a couple of things to note on the two pieces I received.

- first, I received a PM indicating one piece had a little sapwood so my second piece was going to be 10 inches longer for free.

- the little sapwood was nearly 1/3 of the width but it happens to be nicely spalted. This piece was pretty solid.

-the second piece was 10 inches longer and all black, but had a couple of pretty good cracks in it.

- I too was suspicious of the price, but paying through PayPal had nothing to lose.

- this was not A grade wood. In the end, I still feel like I got decent value for what I paid.

- downside for seller: postage was $53 to ship. I paid $65 total with shipping. I have inadvertently lost money on shipping myself in the past but that is a pretty big hit.

Wife asked if I was happy with the purchase. I said yes, but I would not buy from again.

Be kind &
Leave The Rest to God
Old 03-11-2019, 11:26 AM   #16 (permalink)

Photos: 1

To those that made a purchase in this thread, did the paypal name/email include "louie" or "laurence"? That's the guy that scammed us with similar style ebony last time (and the time before that under a different user name).

There are *incredibly* similar markers shared between the last scam and this post:

Last scam: "This will yield about 12 beautiful pen blanks or for any other project you desire"
This post: "Each piece could yield about 30 pen blanks or you may use them for knife handles or pen boxes or any other project"

Last scam: "Shipping is only $6 each with a tracking number provided to you and will ship promptly via USPS Priority Mail within 24 hours of receiving PayPal payment"
This post: "Shipping is $15 Ground with a tracking number which I will provide to you. I ship right away."

Last scam: "If multiple pieces purchased $2 per additional piece only."
This post: "If you would like more than one piece, please add just $7 extra for additional shipping costs."

Of course the words aren't verbatim between the two, but they share a very similar structure for a similar product in what appear to be too good to be true prices and ultimately shady results.
hokie is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-11-2019, 12:10 PM   #17 (permalink)

Photos: 7

Well I guess Iíll chalk this up to a lost cause! Iím new here and was not aware of past scams. I also did not know how expensive the wood was retail so couldnít correlate the two. Iíve done about 10 other purchases on here and they were all flawless and very professional transactions. I will not let this one tarnish the reputation of this forum (for me) but will try to do a bit more research in the future to learn!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TurnKC is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-11-2019, 12:27 PM   #18 (permalink)

Photos: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnKC View Post
Well I guess Iíll chalk this up to a lost cause! Iím new here and was not aware of past scams. I also did not know how expensive the wood was retail so couldnít correlate the two. Iíve done about 10 other purchases on here and they were all flawless and very professional transactions. I will not let this one tarnish the reputation of this forum (for me) but will try to do a bit more research in the future to learn!
Definitely file a complaint with PayPal if you don't receive anything within a reasonable time frame. My only attempt at making a purchase through this site happened to be the last time the scam arose, so I know the feeling. I got lucky by getting a refund when I wouldn't stop bugging the guy, but other people got seriously inferior goods instead of what was pictured.

It's all the same MO... A person from California (Sacramento specifically when that detail is given) who posts selling figured ebony for a low price, make good on one or two orders, deliver vastly inferior products to others, and outright ignore the rest of the purchasers. I know to keep an eye out for the signs now. The weird thing about this OP is that it appears as though they had successful sales in the past for other species. It wasn't until this ebony one where people started asking questions.
hokie is online now   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-11-2019, 12:31 PM   #19 (permalink)

Photos: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnKC View Post
Definitely file a complaint with PayPal if you don't receive anything within a reasonable time frame. My only attempt at making a purchase through this site happened to be the last time the scam arose, so I know the feeling. I got lucky by getting a refund when I wouldn't stop bugging the guy, but other people got seriously inferior goods instead of what was pictured.

It's all the same MO... A person from California (Sacramento specifically when that detail is given) who posts selling figured ebony for a low price, make good on one or two orders, deliver vastly inferior products to others, and outright ignore the rest of the purchasers. I know to keep an eye out for the signs now. The weird thing about this OP is that it appears as though they had successful sales in the past for other species. It wasn't until this ebony one where people started asking questions.

Hokie ,I agree that she has sold some quality wood blanks in the past here on IAP and delivered with no complaints. Something has happened that we don't know about !!
wood128 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 03-11-2019, 02:23 PM   #20 (permalink)

Looks like historically there were only issues on the last 2 sales, though they were a year apart.

Like I stated, I felt there was risk in the quality of the product based on the price but accepted that for the cost. Whole gift horse in the mouth thing. Plus, if I didnít end up with at least $40 worth of wood I would have filed a claim if some sort with PayPal.

Be kind &
Leave The Rest to God
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads