New Kickstarter Campaign for Casting Molds - Page 2 - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > IAP Marketplace > For Sale
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
For Sale All sales for cash belong in this forum

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2017, 11:13 AM   #11 (permalink)

Photos: 0

The stopper diameters range as follows:

Small - 6mm to about 11mm (top to bottom).
Large - 9mm to about 14mm (top to bottom).

You can use the small stoppers for tubes ranging from 7mm to about 10.5mm. I will warn you that using 7mm tubes doesn't allow for any wiggle room. It will be a tight fit at the tip so make sure the tubes are well seated before casting. I couldn't go any smaller with the tip diameter because the integrity of the pressure relief holes would have been compromised.

The large stoppers will comfortably accommodate 27/64" tubes and larger. The large tube from and over-under kit will pretty much bottom out on the large stopper. I couldn't go any bigger because the end mill would have chewed into side wall of my insert casting mold.
tkbarron is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-09-2017, 11:22 AM   #12 (permalink)

Photos: 8

Looks like a great system.
Got a patent?

Les
Old 09-09-2017, 11:31 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Menard View Post
Tom, question.......Liquid Diamonds is extremely thin, I've had minor issues casting in silicone molds and I'm sure it's operator error. My question is when using Liquid Diamonds in your molds, are the stoppers tight enough to avoid leakage? I don't want the end up having 1/2 of a blank.

Yes! The inserts are precision designed for the mold chambers to avoid leakage. Here's a picture I just took using water along with 10.5 and 12.5 tubes. No mold release applied, I just dry fitted the inserts and poured water to the top. No leakage!!

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
20170909_101925.jpg  
Advertisement
Old 09-09-2017, 11:46 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeleton2014 View Post
Is the casting system available ONLY through the Kickstarter campaign? Someone mentioned they had been using the molds since May. Will they be available through your new website once the domain changes, or through FB once it changes? Definitely interested in doing my own casting and leaning toward the Super Deluxe Pckg on Kickstarter. Just a little confused about source(s) of mold system since (like I said) someone here mentioned they have already been using your system since May.
Thanks for the info, Jeff
Sorry for any confusion.

Kenny Durant is a local friend who has been helping me test the system for the past few months. I've tweaked the design here and there to get it just tight. I've done thousands of casts using the first generation mold bodies and between Kenny and I, we've cast hundreds of blanks using inserts and the new generation mold bodies.

The mold bodies with inserts will be available on my site and on Arizona Silhouette once the Kickstarter campaign ends. We'll be selling a variety of mold bodies on our sites within the next week or two.

I wanted to launch the product on Kickstarter in order to broaden awareness for it. It's the use of the inserts that makes it a "combo mold", which as far as I know is a unique concept. I have mold bodies of all shapes and sizes in the pipeline. Those will be released on our sites as soon as I can get them milled!

Thanks!
Old 09-09-2017, 12:10 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckenziedrums View Post
Could you add an option with all the accessories but without resin for us alumilite lovers?

Perhaps if there is enough interest! I haven't given it a lot of thought. My intent was to limit the number of tiers on Kickstarter and keep it as simple as possible. I included Liquid Diamonds because I will carry it on my site (selfish I know)! As much as I like Alumilite I've really grown to love Liquid Diamonds. It can't be beat for clear tub-in casts.

Also, the casting rack was something I designed to accommodate my molds. It's made from HDPE so an resin spillage flakes right off. Same goes for the pressure pot base! The rack and base are precision milled on my CNC but the rack itself uses a lot of material and 1/2" HDPE sheet stock isn't cheap. I've been beating myself up over it, trying to figure out whether it's something that can be sold for a reasonable price and yet carry any profit margin. I love the rack because it's perfectly balanced. I can grab it by the top holes using two or three fingers, swing it over into a pressure pot and drop it into place while the entire bottom makes contact with the base at once. No rocking or spillage along the way!
Old 09-09-2017, 12:20 PM   #16 (permalink)

Oh I love the rack idea for sure. Just set in my ways resin wise :)
mckenziedrums is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-09-2017, 05:48 PM   #17 (permalink)

I'll try to post some pics when I have some time. Another plus for these molds are doing multicolor cast. The first time I tried to cast two colors I was slow trying not to spill and make a huge mess. The second time I wrapped blue painters tape around the top of the mold with about a half inch sticking above the top. I then was able to just pour the resin all over the chambers not worrying about spilling resin over the side. When the resin hardened I was able to pop the blanks out because it didn't stick to any part of the mold. I've been casting for several years and this has been the easiest and best way I've tried.
Kenny Durrant is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-10-2017, 10:06 AM   #18 (permalink)

Photos: 2

extra set of the blue plugs will be $15 for both sets?
William Menard is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 09-10-2017, 11:05 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Menard View Post
extra set of the blue plugs will be $15 for both sets?
Yes and available on my site after the campaign ends.
http://maneatercrafts.com

Thanks!
Old 09-10-2017, 11:20 AM   #20 (permalink)

Photos: 8

Looking forward to giving it a try.
djrljr is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads