WTB--Turning Tools/Chuck/Mandrel

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

greenacres2

Not looking for free, but reasonable priced surplus to outfit our nephew for pen turning--his mom is getting him the HF 10" lathe for a combination Eagle Scout/HS Graduation gift. I was just going to buy him a round carbide from John Austin then find a decent HSS skew--but my wife suggested I check here first.

If you have any of the following as extras (or got disenchanted, or upgraded), it would stretch what we can do to help him get started and ease your clutter at the same time:

Basic HSS Tool Set or individual tools, especially spindle gouge & skew--FOUND, Thanks!!
Round and/or Square Carbide tool--FOUND--Thanks!!
MT2 Drill chuck (he won't have access to a drill press)
Pen drilling chuck or suitable chuck with pen jaws--considering one
Pen Mandrel--FOUND--Thanks!!
Common bushings (Sierra, 7mm, Cigar, etc--i've got kits & blanks to get him started)--Found--Thanks!!
Common (to pen turning) drill bits (7mm, 10mm, 27/64")

When his mom asked about the lathe, i started thinking about how that's just kind of the beginning--it's the stuff above that makes the machine usable. His Eagle ceremony is on 4-22, so we're driving over that day--if we can make something happen prior, that would be great.

Check your shelves and make me an offer if you've got something to part with. Your time is appreciated!!
Thanks,
earl

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Nice gesture, Earl, to do this for your nephew. Sorry, I can't help ... no way a parcel from here could be guaranteed to get to you by 4-22 in any case.

leehljp

Member Liaison
You / He will need a 60° live center for the tail stock. The stock live center on that one is not 60° and can/will cause some runout problems. The live center on that lathe is meant for wood, not the mandrel's cup; They won't mate/match well and will cause problems in the long run.

Paul in OKC

I can donate a carbide tool, maybe just cover the shipping cost? I built a few and decided not to go into business selling them, so I would love to pass one along to him. PM me and we can discuss the details! Looks like this one.

Attachments

• 7AD55527-1542-4706-A298-FCD16B6FB0EE.jpg
    7AD55527-1542-4706-A298-FCD16B6FB0EE.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 145

greenacres2

@ Mal--it's a nicer gesture than it sounds, Sue usually takes care of getting cards and adding money or a gift card--so this one will cost me instead of her!!

@ Lee--Thanks for the heads up on the live center, that will help a lot.

@ Paul--WOW!!! Will send a PM shortly. Thanks so much!!

@ another Hoosier member with a few things (including a possible Dremel Drill Press stand)--Thanks for the PM, and I've replied. Will be in touch.

Y'all are an awesome group of people, and i'm a better person for knowing you!!
earl

greenacres2

Updated the list. We have some incredibly kind and overly generous folks on this forum. I'll need to buy a few things to round out the package, but without your help, he'd have gotten a set of HSS tools, a mandrel and maybe a chuck.

The lessons I've learned here have been priceless in pen making, but in the past few days they have been priceless in LIFE itself. Thanks to all!!
earl

Top Bottom