WTB bulk order of laminant/glue up blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jeff Barnett

Looking for someone who makes a variety of laminate pen blanks. I lost my supplier this year. I typically buy 25-50 at a time. Not real picky on patterns but prefer mostly exotics... but domestics are fine. I like dramatic color contrasts. No more than 4 of same blank. Please let me know if anyone has any interest in making these. 3/4 blanks work as I mostly turn slimline pens. Please contact me if interested and we can discuss details. Thanks for your consideration. Jeff

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jeff Barnett

Jeff, could you post a couple of pictures to give us a better idea of what you're looking for?

Hope that worked? Any patterns are fine. Whats most important is quality. I find when i buy these types of blanks from ebay ect.. they are not very well glued and blow apart. I used to buy them from CJ a member of IPA but he no longer can make them. The pics are a few cut offs for example of stuff he did.

Attachments

• 20151028_122301.jpg
    20151028_122301.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 233
  • 20151028_122347.jpg
    20151028_122347.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 176

Skie_M

Jeff, could you post a couple of pictures to give us a better idea of what you're looking for?

Hope that worked? Any patterns are fine. Whats most important is quality. I find when i buy these types of blanks from ebay ect.. they are not very well glued and blow apart. I used to buy them from CJ a member of IPA but he no longer can make them. The pics are a few cut offs for example of stuff he did.

I gotta say ...

Most of us here would be happy to get our grubby lil mitts on your off-cuts!

Sprung

I agree with the above - if those are your cutoffs and you won't be using them, they'd make some great pens and I'd love to give some of them a home. I've turned a couple segmented blanks lately and really really like the look. (Sorry, wish I could help you out with making some...)

Skie_M

You're looking for someone who has the time and patience to do the work and do it right the first time, every time ...

Someone who has access to a large variety of wood, if possible ... in sizes that WE DO NOT NORMALLY SEE, in order to make segmented blanks a reality....

And someone who also has a good table saw, band saw, joiner, planer, and a weighted press table for glue-ups, hopefully.

Definitely not me... I have the time and inclination, but I don't have half the tools I'ld need to do an even halfway adequate job.

Someone who also has all of this and a bandsaw mill, so that they can take full-size stock logs and mill them down to custom size with no waste .... that's who you really want to talk to.

alphageek

Former Moderator

Wow... Those look like they are very nice blanks. I would 2nd contacting wood128 if you haven't already. The other big factor is cost - I have to believe that even in volume, those are relatively pricy due to the amount of work involved.

Skie_M

If someone does want to get into something like this, their best bet would be to contact one of the IAP merchants and wholesale direct to them ... Only 4 blanks of each type .... that's a ton of work for not a lot of sales unless it's done in volume.

Jeff Barnett

I definitely know the work involved. Which is why I stopped gluing up my own blanks and ordering them. Years ago I Found my supplier by chance on a search on this site. He supplied me for years and always sent a great variety. He did not make blanks specifically for me but had them in stock. I never requested a specific style. He just sent what he sent. The reason behind the no more than 4 of the same is simply because my old supplier never sent more than 4 of the same.
I guess I was hoping to find someone else like this. I am speaking with wood128 via pm. Hoping we can work something out but I have a sneaky suspicion that I had a very good thing and as with all good things.... they come to an end.

As far as my cut offs.. I have a plan to glue them all up some day and make a really cool bowl. lol They are only 1" 3/4 on average. I have made dozens of fridge magnets with them. Also they work for 50 cal pens and those tiny key chain pens.

Last edited:

Turned Around

I know exactly who you are talking about. I used to buy from his eBay store all the time. actually just used some of his blanks last night. Glad I got as many as I did before he stopped making them, they have all been good quality and very nice looking when done.

Jeff Barnett

I know exactly who you are talking about. I used to buy from his eBay store all the time. actually just used some of his blanks last night. Glad I got as many as I did before he stopped making them, they have all been good quality and very nice looking when done.

He really did a great job with his stuff. Very nice guy to boot.

Top Bottom