Wood for Jar Lids

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I've recently started making Jar Lids and I'm really enjoying it. These are easy to make and they make great gifts and "country store" items for church events, etc.

I'm looking for a medium or large flat rate box of suitable wood for these projects. Minimum size is 1" thick x 4" wide. Length must be at least 4", but longer is ok. Thicker & wider is also ok. I'd like to get at least 10-12 different varieties of wood - I'm more interested in nice colors than figure, but nice figure is always nice. :)

I prefer to trade something. I have some camphor & pecan bowl blanks if that will work, or we can discuss some other options.

Send me a pm if you are interested in a possible trade.

Thanks
Edgar

Attachments

• JarLids2.jpg
    JarLids2.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 304
  • JarLids.jpg
    JarLids.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 261
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

1080Wayne

Those look really nice Edgar . Sorry I can`t help you - my favourite coloured wood seldom grows that big . Do you thread those to match the jar threads or do they just sit over the top ?

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Thanks Wayne.

I use a technique similar to that in the PSI instructions and glue in a standard jar ring for the threads.

These 4 all started as 1x4x4 blocks. I knocked the corners off with a bandsaw then turned them round between centers (not easy to do). Then chucked up the round piece & turned a 71mm recess and finished off the bottom. Then I reversed it & chucked it in expansion mode to finish off the top.

After doing these 4, I decided that this is something that I want to keep doing, so I invested some time & money to simplify the process. I bought a 71mm forstner bit & made a jam chuck so I can use the PSI process - it's much faster & easier than the way I did these first ones.

Ron Brown has a slightly different technique that I also want to try sometime. He uses a 2-7/8" forstner bit to seat the ring a little deeper in the recess and turns knobs on the top of his lids. He has a nice You Tube video at:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuvC5uzpgkY

Attachments

• pkmjrp.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 238

KenV

Edgar, are you set up to resaw thicker stock? Have a purple heart board I can shorten but is 2 inch stock. They fill with buttons and/quilt blocks.

Gallon glass pickle jars look good with turned covers on the lids.

Glue up blanks as are commonly used for cutting boards add contrast and use scraps.

Hot melt glue is great for securing items to a jam chuck. Mineral spirits helps break the bond (if you do not just turn it away).

Last edited:

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Edgar, are you set up to resaw thicker stock? Have a purple heart board I can shorten but is 2 inch stock. They fill with buttons and/quilt blocks.

Glue up blanks as are commonly used for cutting boards add contrast and use scraps.

Hot melt glue is great for securing items to a jam chuck. Mineral spirits helps break the bond (if you do not just turn it away).

Hi Ken,
Resawing is no problem & I would love to have some PH. I do have one PH board, but it is barely over 3/4" and not quite thick enough for jar lids. I can also make some domed lids from the 2" stock.

Thanks for the tip on the hot melt glue. I'll give that a try sometime.

What size bowl blanks do you like?

Edgar

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Talk about fast response! -- I currently have trade discussions going on with KenV, rholiday and PSNCO.

I need to see how these discussion progress and how much/types of wood I wind up with and how many bowl blanks I have left afterward before I start any new conversations.

I'm sure that I will entertain more trade possibilities, but I might need a little time to cut some more pecan & camphor bowl blanks. Post here or send me a pm if you want to discuss a possible trade after I finish these conversations.

Thanks for your interest & support,
Edgar

liljohn1368

If you want Edgar. Im set up to pour PR the size that you want. That's the size I pour my pot call blanks. If its something your interested in let me know.

robutacion

Humm, you are very unlucky that I'm so far away and shipping is a bitch otherwise, you would have more than a dozen wood species to work with.

On the other hand, I'm glad that so many of the IAP members from you neck of the woods are coming forwards to help you out, I would love to help also but, it would be very costly, sorry...!

Cheers
George

leehljp

Member Liaison

Ken,
Japanese used to sell their "nori" seaweed in square jars almost a gallon in size and most were bluish and square with round lids. They used to just throw the jars out (put them out to prevent breakage) for the garbage man to pick up. I used to collet them. I brought 8 of them home with me.

They look great with turned lids!

Edgar. I am trying to get my shop set up finally. It has been FULL of excess tools (all I had in Japan and all I had over here.) Now that I have given some away to one of my son-in-laws (an artist), I can get to some of my wood.

It might be Nov. or Dec. But I think I have some old cherry and some Japanese ash (tamo) or elm (keiyaki) - I will have to check which it is. Its been 5 years since I returned with a 2 inch thick slab.

I used to make lids for larger jars, but jar lids look fascinating. Thanks for the ideas.

Last edited:

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Mark - give me a couple of weeks to complete the swaps I have going right now & we can surely work something out.

Hank - Nov or Dec will be great. Shoot me a pm when you're ready for a swap.

George - many's the time that I wish postage to/from Australia was cheaper. Thanks for your interest.

KenV

If you get really serious, Axminister sell chucks and 67 mm jaws that fit into a dovetail recess in the side of a 71 mm drilled hole. Does not take a deep recess, and the ring can cover it.

wood-of-1kind

Edgar, you have been an inspiration to me for trying out to make some wooden lids for recycled glass jars. Here's one that I finished just now and wanted to share a picture. Hopefully you do not mind if I post here on your ad.

Thank you for sharing this idea.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    81.6 KB · Views: 230
Last edited:

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Edgar, you have been an inspiration to me for trying out to make some wooden lids for recycled glass jars. Here's one that I finished just now and wanted to share a picture. Hopefully you do not mind if I post here on your ad.

Nice looking lid - thanks for showing it.

gimpy

I have to turn my computer upside down to see it......:)

Top Bottom