Wood from Africa

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Drewboy22

I have been asked by a lady at church to make a pen for another lady that does some missionary work in Africa. She asked if I could use wood from Africa and I said "Sure :)"

Does anyone have a couple pieces of nice African wood that they would be willing to sell me?

I have a pen that I made using Bubinga but she was looking for something with a little for character. I have included a pic the pen I have made for your reference, because I will use bubinga is it is a pretty piece. I just don't know what else is from Africa :confused:

Thank you,

Drew

Well here is the link - Looks like the img codes are disabled
20150923_162051_resized_zpsfhf0mjir.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rtyler8140

Drew,

I have a couple different African woods. I know for sure I have some Sapele and some Padauk I can send your way depending on what size blanks you need. Here is a picture for reference of the 2 woods in pen form.

The first picture shows Padauk...it is the executive pen in the back. When you think Padauk, think carrot. It is a very orange wood.

The second picture shows Sapele. This particular set was stained with minwax red mahogany, it really brings out the depth of the grain. We used it all the time at the cabinet shop I worked in because it was less expensive than mahogany and most people cant tell the difference.

Attachments

• Padauk.jpg
    Padauk.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 111
  • Sapele.jpg
    Sapele.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 109
Other "commonly" available African woods are Zebrawood, African Blackwood, Tamboti, Wenge, Bubinga, Camelthorn and Sapele (I'm sure I missed some). PM me if you need some. I've got some of several of the above.

Skie_M

Don't forget that several types of ebony (gaboon and massaccar) are African in origin.

As I recall, olive trees were planted by the Roman Empire's armies wherever they went ... you can get olivewood from north Africa where areas were settled by ancient roman armies. The spectacular banding found from Bethlehem Olive Wood may be present in this variety as well.

Drewboy22

Thank you for all the responses, lots of woods out there I didn't think about.

Drew,

I have a couple different African woods. I know for sure I have some Sapele and some Padauk I can send your way depending on what size blanks you need. Here is a picture for reference of the 2 woods in pen form.

The first picture shows Padauk...it is the executive pen in the back. When you think Padauk, think carrot. It is a very orange wood.

The second picture shows Sapele. This particular set was stained with minwax red mahogany, it really brings out the depth of the grain. We used it all the time at the cabinet shop I worked in because it was less expensive than mahogany and most people cant tell the difference.

That set made out of Sapele is really nice. PM sent :)

Thanks,

Drew

philb

Thuya Burr looks stunning if you can get some.
Sapele gives a very similar look to Mahogany, unless you can get some curly/pomelle figure?
Afzelia Burr is another stunning one, but not easy to find
Wenge is also a really nice unusual looking wood when turned, with black and cream stripes

JohnU

I bought some African wood a few years back in a large pack. I think I still have some. Zangara comes to mind. send me a PM if your still looking. I can dig it out and send you some for free. I just don't know if it has the character your looking for.

Drewboy22

I bought some African wood a few years back in a large pack. I think I still have some. Zangara comes to mind. send me a PM if your still looking. I can dig it out and send you some for free. I just don't know if it has the character your looking for.

Thanks for the offer, but another member already sent me the wood I needed. Again the offer is appreciated though :)

Top Bottom