Where to get "high quality" burls?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Quality Pen

I'm reading people talking about "exhibition grade" and stuff like this and I wonder whats the good stuff... then I wonder where to find it?

I mean... I'm no expert in discerning "good" from "exhibition" grade, ya know?

I was looking around on CSUSA and saw their "choice" stuff that they charge a little extra for (Pen Makers Choice Premium Amboyna Burl Pen Blank | Pen Making | Craft Supplies USA) but I don't really know if that's the "good stuff". I also know that PSI offers those hand selected by barry gross blanks. I can't really compare things though. But when I think about it, I just know its worth spending some extra money to put out a beautiful pen because, as I see it, the same amount of work goes into a mediocre piece of wood that goes into a high quality piece of wood.

Of course, if it breaks you'd feel a sharper sting :biggrin::bulgy-eyes:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
High quality means different things to different people. Mostly only time will help you as you get to see the different woods and determine what it is to you. Most hight grade woods are tightly grown burls or tight packed curls in the wood. Their picture of high grade koa for example doesnt fit my qualifications.

Here is my version of High grade or exhibition koa.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f56/simple-wooden-sierra-style-pen-81467/

Bad Dog burls comes highly recomended. Ebay will have a selection and you can see pictures. YOu might consider buying a board and cutting it up into blanks, its usually cheaper if you have the equipment. (and You should}

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f160/bad-dog-burls-106778/

Attachments

• sierra 14.jpg
    sierra 14.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:

robutacion

I'm reading people talking about "exhibition grade" and stuff like this and I wonder whats the good stuff... then I wonder where to find it?

I mean... I'm no expert in discerning "good" from "exhibition" grade, ya know?

I was looking around on CSUSA and saw their "choice" stuff that they charge a little extra for (Pen Makers Choice Premium Amboyna Burl Pen Blank | Pen Making | Craft Supplies USA) but I don't really know if that's the "good stuff". I also know that PSI offers those hand selected by barry gross blanks. I can't really compare things though. But when I think about it, I just know its worth spending some extra money to put out a beautiful pen because, as I see it, the same amount of work goes into a mediocre piece of wood that goes into a high quality piece of wood.

Of course, if it breaks you'd feel a sharper sting :biggrin::bulgy-eyes:

I wish that I could give you a simple answer however, that is just not so.

I can speak as a buyer and as vendor/seller and unfortunately, the term "exhibition grade" that once was used to recognise blanks of exceptional quality and beauty, has now been misused everyday, particularly by those that have blanks/wood for sale and try to use such a "term" to pump their prices up, having no idea of what exhibition grade quality means.

This term is even used on woods that can be a little hard to find, that doesn't give them the right to missrepresent what they have for sale and certainly have no right to trick buyers to think that, such product(s) are of high grade/quality.

They know that, people less informed/experienced about woods will fall for the high tags, and exhibition grade false status and this is the very reason why people like yourself are questioning the whole thing, and very rightly so, in my view.

There are enough of ruthless people out there, capable of tricking people very easily so, the only way for you to learn is to get used to look and ask questions, buy only small amounts from a seller/vendor you don't know, unless highly reccomended by friends or someone you can trust.

Yes, you pay more for quality, the higher the grade the more the blanks will cost however, be very careful with the overpriced stuff that has been influenciated but the small number of people offering it and not because the product is extraordinary, by any means.

You will learn what to look for, in burls and solid woods, you will find good and poor quality in both...!

Why, as a vendor here, and on eBay, I'm telling you this...??? because I think is important that you and others learn to distinguish these differences from the very beginning and because I know that is still a lot of truthful/ honest people out there...!

Good luck...!:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

Last edited:

Cmiles1985

+1 to both above posts. I have seen the "exhibition grade" blanks on various sites (stores, not individual vendors), and see that it's usually a general photo of a nice blank. You don't get what you see. The vendors here will typically take the time to post the exact blank you're buying. I recently bought some DIW blanks and asked for the box to be filled with some other blanks the fellow had listed. He threw in some Afzelia burl that was gorgeous, and I'd love to find more like it. I think the best option is buying a larger blank and cutting it yourself. Hence why my next big tool investment will be a good 14" bandsaw.

Top Bottom