Turning Materials for Cadets

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

USMATinkers

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I'm a representative of the new Mechanical Engineering Club's Maker's Space at the United States Military Academy at West Point. Per the advice of some senior members here, I decided to create a post asking about potential contributions to our cause. We are just starting to acquire the necessary power tools to work with wood and metal as well as conduct projects that will help develop our engineering skills. For a full explanation of our situation, please visit my other thread: http://www.penturners.org/forum/f18/help-request-142846/

If you're considering donating materials to our organization, please post here and send me a private message. Please note that I am posting as an individual of the Mechanical Engineering Club and do not speak officially for the Department of Civil and Mechanical Engineering, the United States Military Academy, the United States Army, or the United States Department of Defense.

On behalf of all who will use the new Maker's Space, thank you for very much!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
I have received several PMs asking me if I have confirmed that this is a legitimate request. The answer is that I have not.

Before anyone offers assistance, I strongly suggest that you request from the user whatever confirmation of their identity and situation that you feel necessary. I did have a brief email conversation yesterday with this member regarding this situation, and I let him know that providing some kind of verification that the story checks out would be the first thing people would ask for.

The sad reality is that our community has been victimized by people offering similarly legitimate-sounding stories which unraveled after many generous members and vendors provided a great deal of assistance. It depresses me to have to throw this sort of cold water on what I genuinely hope is a legitimate request, but I would be failing to do my part in protecting our members if I did not raise this issue. I hope I have done so tactfully and with the greatest respect.

I do hope we're able to provide some great support to the brave cadets at The Point.

EDIT: I should mention that the IP address from which this member has joined and posted is part of the netblock owned by the US Army Information Systems Command, and is assigned to the US Military Academy at West Point.

Last edited:

USMATinkers

I completely understand this, and I am very willing to provide whatever additional confirmation that I can. I hate that this community has been cheated while trying to generously assist beginners.

I have received several PMs asking me if I have confirmed that this is a legitimate request. The answer is that I have not.

Before anyone offers assistance, I strongly suggest that you request from the user whatever confirmation of their identity and situation that you feel necessary. I did have a brief email conversation yesterday with this member regarding this situation, and I let him know that providing some kind of verification that the story checks out would be the first thing people would ask for.

The sad reality is that our community has been victimized by people offering similarly legitimate-sounding stories which unraveled after many generous members and vendors provided a great deal of assistance. It depresses me to have to throw this sort of cold water on what I genuinely hope is a legitimate request, but I would be failing to do my part in protecting our members if I did not raise this issue. I hope I have done so tactfully and with the greatest respect.

I do hope we're able to provide some great support to the brave cadets at The Point.

EDIT: I should mention that the IP address from which this member has joined and posted is part of the netblock owned by the US Army Information Systems Command, and is assigned to the US Military Academy at West Point.

DigBaddy72

I'd be happy to send a SFRB of blanks. It's not much but I have more blanks than I know what to do with at the time and I'd like to see them put to good use. Plus, ANY support I can give to our military I try to do.

Thanks for your service.

stonepecker

Because of past experiences and because it is one of our "Gov't Schools"..... I am wondering if anyone lives close by and could stop in and meet these Cadets.

I would happily send a box of blanks to them once everything was checked out.
Grateful for everything the military people do for our nation.

Semper fi

Top Bottom