study parts/pens for threading

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Katya

I want to start learning how to thread pen components, but I don't know anyone in my guild who does this. I'd like to purchase a kitless pen and/or parts of them so I can really understand how they go together. I learn better if I can hold work in my hands. Anybody have a "not quite perfect" pen that I could learn from- proportions, threads, etc.? Or do you have pen sections that would teach me what does and does not look good? I want to make jr. size kitless pens. Willing to pay in cash or blanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

edstreet

You can easily do this with just about every kit pen on the market today, or even a standard nut/bolt from anywhere. Threading is a very easy topic to learn esp with the minors, majors, patterns and all of that.

TurtleTom

Now that she mentions it, what parts of a kit needs to be missing for it to be kitless (oxymoron?).
I suspect the only two things you have to have is the nib and the refill. You're going to need something to retract and advance the refill somehow, unless it's fountain pen. That should be about it.

Last edited:

duncsuss

Now that she mentions it, what parts of a kit needs to be missing for it to be kitless (oxymoron?).
I suspect the only two things you have to have is the nib and the refill. You're going to need something to retract and advance the refill somehow, unless it's fountain pen. That should be about it.

Tom, I expect you weren't aware of it, but this topic has been hammered, flogged, beaten to death, and beaten some more. Like a phoenix (or zombie), from time to time it springs back to life and there's another round of wailing and teeth-gnashing :biggrin:

By the way, you forgot rollerball -- they don't advance/retract the refill. And pencils, for the most part, advance the lead but the mechanism that propels the lead doesn't retract into the barrel.

Joey-Nieves

Katya:
I had the same doubts you have. A kitless pen works and operates as the kits you use. This video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DQna36uThA is the most helpful tutorial I found. You will be able to see how he did it and also the tools required to make the pen. You won't need to use a triple start die and taper for your first pen, but it should be a fine tread about .75 .

I make them now all the time and in retrospect I don't know why I was so afraid.

Joey
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DQna36uThA

Top Bottom