Seeking Pen Turner for Hire

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skie_M

Just sitting here thinking about it ....

If he provides the CA, blanks, tubes, and sandpaper (I would suggest abranet), and one sets up an assembly line approach to turn multiple blanks in a stretch of 2 or 3 hours a day to do 2 to 4 pen barrels an hour for 4 to 12 blanks a day (dependent on how quick you are at turning and such) and you have an alternate setup for the finishing operation (slow spinning rack mount for the CA to finish curing) on the side so it doesn't take up your lathe ....

I could see 5 dollars per pen barrel as an acceptable offer, as someone could generally be making 10 dollars or more per hour at the cost of wear and tear on their lathe, electricity, and time.

Now, to do 50 a month would be a trivial matter, as someone who has a weekend to dedicate to a project like this could knock out 50 barrels in 2 days if they're on the speedy end of the scale... 3 or 4 hours to square, drill, and glue all the blanks ... 12 hours or so to turn them all and apply CA ... Then you box em up and mail them off. That's 250 dollars for 16 hours of work - over 15.5 dollars an hour!

If you're on the slower end of the scale, I'd assume you were working at half that speed, doing about 2 blanks per hour, it would take you 25 hours of turning and perhaps 6 - 8 hours of prep, so 4 - 5 working days to get it all done ... still 250 bucks for a week's worth of work. You'ld still make around 7.50 an hour for your efforts, and as a beginning woodturner, you'ld be paid to get in a LOT OF PRACTICE.

The problem I see in all of this is .... if you're on the quicker end of the scale, you're someone who expects to get paid a lot more than 15 dollars per hour of work. Most master craftsmen expect 20 - 50 dollars an hour for the time invested in a project. As the OP originally stated .... he's looking for a beginner woodturner who's basically interested in getting paid to practice the craft.

(side tip to anybody who ends up doing these pen barrels - Whiskey Barrel Oak is the same as any other oak ... it's an open grained wood that likes to trap sawdust, so you may be best off practicing the skew for the cleanest cut possible and getting very close to finished dimensions, and then sealing the pen barrel with thin CA followed by medium CA (keeps the sanding dust out of the pores) and then sand down to final dimensions before applying several coats of thin CA.)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

LR9788

I am the one that contacted him. I decided to Google the OP based on his first post status. I found his personal email and inquired that way. When I reached out there was no mention of materials beyond tubes and barrel staves. Taking that and my knowledge of how quickly I personally can turn a white oak blank and have it looking good i would personally feel like $15 is my starting point. As the person above me stated, someone could easily pound these out in a long weekend but that hardly seems worth it when I could make 6 high end pens and sell them for the same (or greater) profit as 50 barrels at $5/piece

jttheclockman

Glad it worked out for him. I hope that turner gets more than $5 a blank. Again it would have been nice if he stopped by to let the membership know. But hey:rolleyes:

Vertology

Thank you

Thanks to everyone who replied. I was overwhelmed by the responses and your speed!

I found a local turner who was willing to work with me. Appreciate your input and interest.

Best wishes to all

Vertology

Wow!

Guys, I just read through all the posts and am blown away. I'm sorry to have offended so many of you. I thought communicating via PM was how the board preferred to talk business. I also work 100+ hour weeks so staying up to speed on message boards isn't at the forefront of my mind.

Sorry my price was so low. Didnt mean to offend so many. Best wishes.

Charlie_W

Guys, I just read through all the posts and am blown away. I'm sorry to have offended so many of you. I thought communicating via PM was how the board preferred to talk business. I also work 100+ hour weeks so staying up to speed on message boards isn't at the forefront of my mind.

John,
It's all good. Glad you popped back in with a reply. Please don't be a stranger here.
BTW, You did a great job on the pen in your first post! When you get some turning time, share your pics!

Charlie_W

Mods...please delete this ....posted in error.

TonyL

Welcome and I am glad that you found someone close-by and at price point that works for you. I was not offended, and more than understand about the "endless" work week. I hope to hear from you again.

Best,

Tony

Top Bottom