Seeking Pen Turner for Hire

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Vertology

Hello, I am looking for a wood tuner interested in picking up some easy and steady business.

I need approximately 500 single blank pens turned per year. I will provide the tubes, wood and am open to providing the rest of the materials needed to finish (CA glue, sand paper, finish, etc) depending on your price.

I am an novice turner and began giving pens as gifts for my business partners, customers, employees, etc. Business is booming and my pens have become very popular. I just don't have the time to turn!

I use the Penn State 380 twist bullet pen, Jack Daniels oak blanks with a CA finish. A real easy turn.

I give away approximately 50 pens per month. This would be a steady income or a good way to fill voids in your work load. I'm willing to commit to a volume of work per month or year.

If you're interested in talking about this opportunity, PM me for more details.

Thanks, John

Attachments

• IMG_4669.jpg
    IMG_4669.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 367
Contract pen turning

I can,tell tell if my earlier reply went thru or not but I would be interested. What are you thinking in regards to per pen pricing?

jttheclockman

Now to get this straight. You give away 500 of these bullet pens a year???? or 50 per month??? May I ask what is it that you do??? To pay for someone to make the pen plus you are paying for the materials and shipping that is quite costly. Why not have a logo or advertising lasered on too being you are giving away as a gift or promotion of some sort. To meet that many new clients a year says something. :)

jttheclockman

Get details folks. First time poster. :eek:

What doesn't sit right is these will be pens not made by him so how does he pass them off?? The meaning is deeper when you made the pen and presented as a gift. Just an opinion.

Last edited:

Sataro

When I see someone newly joined IAP & their 1st post looks like this one...makes me wonder?

Like JT said, giving away this much...why not include logo or something...

I sent him a pm yesterday to see what kind of response I would get...

No answer back at this point...

Schroedc

When I see someone newly joined IAP & their 1st post looks like this one...makes me wonder?

Like JT said, giving away this much...why not include logo or something...

I sent him a pm yesterday to see what kind of response I would get...

No answer back at this point...

Depending on the line of business It's possible. I do 900-1000 pens a year for a group that uses them as premiums to give away (and have for the last three years). It's the reason I broke down and bought my own laser :biggrin:

TonyL

Please forgive me, OP (John), for interrupting your post.

Folks..in the spirit of being courteous and well-intentioned IAP members, why wouldn't we reserve any suspicions, questions of motivation, etc for private messaging to the OP? I am asking rhetorically...just making a suggestion.

Please no pms to me on the subject. Thanks.

Rounder

Please forgive me, OP (John), for interrupting your post.

Folks..in the spirit of being courteous and well-intentioned IAP members, why wouldn't we reserve any suspicions, questions of motivation, etc for private messaging to the OP? I am asking rhetorically...just making a suggestion.

Please no pms to me on the subject. Thanks.

I agree with Tony. All people are supposed to be innocent until proven guilty. Ask questions privately unless you have absolute evidence of wrong doing. It is so easy in today's society to jump to unwarranted conclusions.

gimpy

What doesn't sit right is these will be pens not made by him so how does he pass them off?? The meaning is deeper when you made the pen and presented as a gift. Just an opinion.

I was thinking the same thing

Lucky2

I was thinking the same thing

Hey guys, he could be reselling them, maybe he has more orders than he can fill himself. And yes, I agree, the meaning is deeper if you make the pen and present it to the recipient. But, if it's not for a friend or as being given as a gift, then the meaning is that you just made the pen to sell it. He could be the same as anyone out there who is trying to make a buck, and maybe he resells others pens to help with his income. It may not make any difference to this person, if someone else makes the pens. All they may be looking for, is handmade pens for their inventory. There's could be numerous reasons they want the pens, but, what difference does it make as long as it is legit? As long as the supplies are provided by the OP, then what do you have to lose other than time? Once the pens are made, you don't send them out until you get paid. I really am getting tired of all of the skepticism that people have nowadays, this could be a good thing for a member looking to make a few extra dollars.

jttheclockman

Now take a step back here. I asked a simple question about what he does and to give us more info. Whenever a person comes here and the very first post involves money exchange what do you think. I hope this person finds what they are looking for. He has a few volunteers but do not chastise me for bringing to light the ??? people are afraid to ask. Someone suggested PM. Why, the question was brought to the floor. People have a right to know.

We can all speculate on both sides of the fence with this and until the OP addresses the concerns then we will never know. It would be nice to at least introduce yourself and tell us a story. If he is a business man then I am sure he is good at stories.

Look back at past history here folks.

I have no interest in this and it would bore me to death to make that many same style pens. So I only looked at for the sake of those interested. Believe it would be great if things can be worked out for maybe a few turners here to be able to pick up some cash. I will now step back and wish all good luck.

Last edited:
Pen Turner for Hire

Folks I was the first one that responded to this person both with a PM and a follow up on this thread with no response back so that in itself leads me to believe that i would not want to get involved with this adventure, so for the records, I am out.

edicehouse

I agree with John T to an extent. Please get as much info as you can, and protect yourself. Not saying the OP has any bad intentions, but someone could get burnt by a bounced check, or not realize how much work is into making 50 pens a month every month.

jttheclockman

I believe no one is jumping to conclusions. The ball is in his court. There are ways to do things and then there are ways that make people question your motives. he probably is just so busy that even something as simple as this gets in his way. So it stands.

Hey is is a Jersey boy. how bad can that be:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

thewishman

Nowhere in his post did this man say he was going to tell people he made them. The man is asking for someone to perform a service for pay. I see no bad intentions on his part.

I remember several new members that were hounded until they left. I hate it when I see people ascribing bad intentions simply because a new person starts off by asking a question or doesn't use our preferred form of proper etiquette.

GOSH! I started out here knowing nothing about how to ask questions in the proper manner. I was welcomed anyway.

It is not individual members' responsibility to safeguard the membership, that is the role of our moderators. If anyone feels something is fishy, press the yellow triangle under that person's name - it's there on every single post!

Yes, I know I just jumped in the same mud puddle, but I can't let another person be driven away without saying something.:mad:

Sataro

After reading the info that Dan posted, I can see why he may have not responded to anyone. I've worked sales before. Your day may start at 7 AM & it may be anywhere from 7-9 PM before your day ends. He may be waiting till he has a day off before he tries to respond to anyone.

When selling cars, we would give our customers a ball cap & a key chain. I wish I would have been turning pens back then. Would have been a great gift to give to my customers.

jttheclockman

Come on now Chris. Read the whole thread please and do not take my words out of context.

We have this new committee that is suppose to welcome new members. But would it be asking toooooooo much to introduce yourself and tell us more about what it is you are wanting to do. I will stand by my comments as I have been a member here for over 11 years and I have seen the ugly side of favors here too. Please I am not putting this person in the same context but just bringing it to light. AS I said the ball is in his court. Let him come here and spin us a story. Is that too much to ask. Please stop bringing my name back into this. I said I was out.

Hello, I am looking for a wood tuner interested in picking up some easy and steady business.

I need approximately 500 single blank pens turned per year. I will provide the tubes, wood and am open to providing the rest of the materials needed to finish (CA glue, sand paper, finish, etc) depending on your price.

I am an novice turner and began giving pens as gifts for my business partners, customers, employees, etc. Business is booming and my pens have become very popular. I just don't have the time to turn!

I use the Penn State 380 twist bullet pen, Jack Daniels oak blanks with a CA finish. A real easy turn.

I give away approximately 50 pens per month. This would be a steady income or a good way to fill voids in your work load. I'm willing to commit to a volume of work per month or year.

If you're interested in talking about this opportunity, PM me for more details.

Thanks, John

Nowhere in his post did this man say he was going to tell people he made them. The man is asking for someone to perform a service for pay. I see no bad intentions on his part.

I remember several new members that were hounded until they left. I hate it when I see people ascribing bad intentions simply because a new person starts off by asking a question or doesn't use our preferred form of proper etiquette.

GOSH! I started out here knowing nothing about how to ask questions in the proper manner. I was welcomed anyway.

It is not individual members' responsibility to safeguard the membership, that is the role of our moderators. If anyone feels something is fishy, press the yellow triangle under that person's name - it's there on every single post!

Yes, I know I just jumped in the same mud puddle, but I can't let another person be driven away without saying something.:mad:

As the saying goes, "Just because you can see Roses, doesn't mean there isn't a pile of manure under them."
There is a catch somewhere and the pitch that was provided just doesn't add up. He will provide the blanks and the tubes... the maker will have to do the drilling and gluing. That means wear and tear on machine, electric costs, and consumables (ie. glue, sandpaper, finish) the chap would be better off finding a company that can have that ready in couple of days.

TonyL

Let's put it this way...regardless of what the OP did or didn't do or plans to do....I wouldn't characterize some of the responses as the warmest welcome we could have given him.

JT and others, I am sure you are much smarter, skilled, insightful, and experienced than me...some of the responses do not read well.

If the OP never responds to this or any PM, I wouldn't blame him for mischaracterizing the reaction to his post. There's much talk about the high-road here; I don't see much of that with respect to this situation.

Last edited:

Schroedc

I'm really hoping that all this discussion over his motives doesn't put him off this site and potentially kill an opportunity for a turner here. I turn 4,000-5,000 items a year and some of what I do is for corporate customers that do have materials dropped shipped to me and pay for the labor and the other supplies I provide. So he didn't write a book, So he wasn't as clear as everyone seems to have been expecting. I was able to go into business for myself because of an email that at first read sounded pretty much like the post he wrote. He doesn't respond, it was a few minutes of my time to send a message, he does respond to any of us we can do due diligence at that time.

Lets look at the math...
1 pen takes, say, 1 hour to prep, turn and finish. That is 500 hours or in a 40 hour work week, 12.5 weeks or 3 months and 4 days of doing nothing but his order.
Now as far as the attitudes of those who perhaps are voicing their opinions that may have come from the adage, "Once Bitten, Twice Shy." This is the only post the OP made. No introduction in the correct part of the forum, no other interaction... First Post, a sales pitch...

as an aside I PM'ed the person with my terms for contracting my services. Time will tell.

Terredax

Banned
Just my observations...

He said he gives the pens away. Nothing about selling them.
Also, if he is providing the tubes and the wood, does that mean he is going to assemble these? If he doesn't have time to turn them, how will he have time to assemble them?

Also, he made a single post three days ago, and hasn't been back to answer any questions and hasn't returned emails or messages.
Any professional, even on business trips, checks their email daily and several times a day. If he is actually looking for an employee, he would also check his post and messages for potential interest.

To meet the 50 pens per month quota, two pens would have to be made per day to have time enough for delivery. If this is just turning and no assembly, I could see it being easily accomplished by an experienced turner. Although it would be difficult to match the diameter of the barrel to the mating parts. I've noticed that even though the kit is the same, there are variances in the diameters.

I'm only assuming he has a very lucrative career to purchase 50 kits per month, pay someone to turn them, and just give them away.
I don't have any idea what experienced turners charge for their time, but it would have to be worth interfering in personal time for 2 hours every day to do the same thing endlessly.

This is only what crossed my mind when I read the OP.

My opinion is worth less than half of the purchase price.
And there aren't any returns accepted without a receipt. :redface:

LR9788

I communicated with him via another means. He is providing the tubes and wood and is having his kids assemble the pens. Offer $5 a tube for turned with a CA finish. Not for me

Bean_Counter

I communicated with him via another means. He is providing the tubes and wood and is having his kids assemble the pens. Offer $5 a tube for turned with a CA finish. Not for me

I'm okay not having him answer my PM now lol. Good luck with that especially
With a CA finish

jttheclockman

Let's put it this way...regardless of what the OP did or didn't do or plans to do....I wouldn't characterize some of the responses as the warmest welcome we could have given him.

JT and others, I am sure you are much smarter, skilled, insightful, and experienced than me...some of the responses do not read well.

If the OP never responds to this or any PM, I wouldn't blame him for mischaracterizing the reaction to his post. There's much talk about the high-road here; I don't see much of that with respect to this situation.

Once again Tony you bring my name into this. If you look at the very first post I made, how is that being not well read. All I was looking for is some introduction of himself and give us a little background as to what he does and wants to do. This helps ALLLLLLLLLLLLL No need to do behind the scenes and these secret PMs. You had quite a few people show interest. The more this gets played out the more it does not look good all the way around. I edited this a few times already and I will leave this as is. Again I am out of this and others good luck if you take this on. Very simple.

jttheclockman

What do say we give the OP something to read if he does come back here.

Someone brought up the point that they somehow talked to this person and he mentioned a $5 fee for this blank per blank.

With that said and forget he said it. Knowing the fact that the person wants a one tube blank made with a CA finish. He is supplying the blank and the tube and he says he is open to supplying the CA, sandpaper and etc. What would you charge to make this and keep in mind the total amount he is looking for???

What this will do is give some perspective for him at what the membership is looking at and maybe also help future requests like this. I was going to post in another thread but afraid he may not read it and this is the one he started. It is just something I was thinking of as I sit here pondering:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Top Bottom