Resin blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ldubia

These three blanks are for sale. This is a trial run to see if people like them. If they are liked, I can get more cut. The material is a casting resin but not typical. It turns just like poly and shines great.

The cost for these blanks is $12 each. Typically the blanks will be cut uniformly in length. The blanks are all approximately 1" x 1".

Blank A1.jpg Blank A2.jpg Approx 5.5"
Blank B1.jpg Blank B2.jpg Approx 6"
Blank C1.jpg Blank C2.jpg Approx 7"

Some of the resin is translucent so it would be best to use either black or white back paint on the inside of the blank after drilling.

Please let me know what you think.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ldubia

Here is blank A turned and polished.

ForumRunner_20150708_153549.png ForumRunner_20150708_153557.png

By the way, these are surf gel blanks. I would really appreciate some feedback. Lots of people looking, but no comments.

Last edited:

magpens

They don't really appeal to me ... sorry to say ... too many colors altogether.

I don't know what surf gel is.

IWC

I like the looks of the 7" blank on the right. I know they are not cheap to make, but with so many inexpensive options at places like exoticblanks.com, $12 is a bit pricey for me. Please don't take that the wrong way, it is nice to be able to cast the exact color combos you want.

ldubia

I like the looks of the 7" blank on the right. I know they are not cheap to make, but with so many inexpensive options at places like exoticblanks.com, $12 is a bit pricey for me. Please don't take that the wrong way, it is nice to be able to cast the exact color combos you want.

Unfortunately I can not take credit for casting these. They are from a surfboard makers shop. The colors are whatever they happen to be pouring at the time. I am checking to see if anyone might be interested in them before I start cutting a bunch up. I have a very limited supply right now. But if demand is there, I can get more and make blanks.

As for price, the material is pricey for me to get it. So what do you feel would be a fair price for them?

I am not offended by your honest comments. I appreciate them.

duncsuss

Looking at the original pix, they didn't seem attractive to me (as in "oh, that's interesing ... don't particularly like it, but it's interesting.")

It makes a huge difference seeing them turned and polished.

Do you know how strong the material is when it's drilled out and turned into a thin-walled barrel (I'm thinking custom/kitless, no brass tube down the middle)? I'd be a bit concerned about delamination, it likely depends how those layers were built up and how the material glues to itself.

The price is high. I'm not sure what I'd consider fair, it's an unknown material with no provenance.

I'd only be willing to pay that much for a blank if I knew that it had a track record in custom/kitless: it has to take and hold threads well (I uses tap and die to cut threads), it mustn't fall apart or shatter when the wall thickness is 1mm or less, and it has to be somewhat resistant to scratching.

It also needs to be available in longer pieces (or very close matching pieces, I don't want the cap and barrel to clearly be from different colored/patterned material.) 9" to 10" is my preferred length.

Top Bottom