R2 Carbide cutter

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

LeeR

Here is the inserts page from Woodchuck. The R2 is $12.00 I have the Woodchuck PenPro so I know these are high quality. That said, I looked at the AZ Carbide on eBay and they look the same to me, and are 1/2 the price.

inserts

Last edited:

MarkD

I have been using the Global Tooling 1791212 and they do work well however, they have a 100mm radius ( 3.93 inch ) radius as opposed to the R2 which has a 2" radius so they are a bit more square than the R2 cutters.

wood-of-1kind

I have been using the Global Tooling 1791212 and they do work well however, they have a 100mm radius ( 3.93 inch ) radius as opposed to the R2 which has a 2" radius so they are a bit more square than the R2 cutters.

I use 6" radius and does not impact performance for pen blanks. The fact is that a radius whether it be 2",4" or 6" designates that the corners of the cutter will not "bite" into the pen blank as would an "aggressive" square insert. If you turn "burls" you are better off with a radius carbide insert since they are more forgiving especially when encountering a "catch".

Top Bottom