Pure Black Ebony

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bob Wemm

I am looking for some PURE BLACK EBONY, preferably from somewhere in Australia, but not necessarily.
I need to use it for Segmenting so any size between 1/4in - 1in thick and anywhere between 3/4in - 3+inches wide, would be ideal, and at least 12in long.
DONT WANT TOO MUCH DO I?????

Thank you in advance.

Bob.:)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SS

A medium flate rate box from the US is not to expensive and can fit quite a bit in it. I've been shipping some LFR boxes of my African blackwood burl to a guy in Australia. Shipping for the LFRB with 20 lbs or less is $76.

I have a small amount of Gabon ebony stock you are looking for, but hopefully you can find a local source.

lyonsacc

Hi Bob,

I have some nice maple and some black paint that I would be glad to sell you for less than $429.95. The maple tree is still laying on the ground in my backyard, so I can cut the pieces to size with my chainsaw.

Dave

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Dave, Bob is made of money, You should charge more for a custom black maple finish not less.

robutacion

A black Sharpie would be faster.. :)

Yeah but, the problem is, he wants it to make a segmented bowl or vase and that means that, unless the ink is capable to penetrate fully (or almost) when on the lathe to be trimmed, any surface ink would be removed and expose the natural wood colour and dying it after been shaped and sanded, would be and impossible task due to "bleeding" to the other wood pieces around it.

Unfortunately for Bob, (that I know is not made of money, he is made of gold..!) the idea of using 100% black wood, is going to cost him, we don't have any trees in Australia that produce black coloured wood and, the shipping to get it from overseas is the least of his problems, is the cost of such a blank that will hurt so, I'm sure that Bob, is already thinking of alternatives, I will make of a few, also...!

Cheers
George

BSea

Have you thought of using something like black alumilite, or black PR?

EDIT: Actually, Alumilite isn't an option unless someone has a pressure tank that can do a 12" piece. But PR should work.

Last edited:
What you want is Gaboon or Blackwood.
Gaboon is likely more "economical" at about $70-$100 a BF in the US. Blackwood you don't often see in boards, mostly logs parts and clarinet bells that didn't pass the QC in the instrument industry.

Bob Wemm

Thanks for all the feedback Guys, it is greatly appreciated.
I am investigating some Aussie woods that can be "Ebonised", and that option is looking promising so far. That process takes a month or more so won't know for a while.
Thanks again,

Bob.

plantman

Bob. I have used this method of ebonizing wood in the past, it might work for your needs. Fill a jar that will hold your blanks with steel wool. Pour in store bought ammonia and seal the jar. Best to do this outside!! Let sit until the steel wool desolves. Shake it up every now and than. Strain the mixture and soak your blanks in it, or put them under vacuum. Outside !! The ammonia was an old time method of fumeing oak to darken it to the golden color and bring out the rays on quarter sawn lumber. The steel wool gives up the iron oxide to turn it black. I have used this method to make boxes with a black japaned finish that shines like a Steinway. You might also want to use Black Pic Guard, it's a lot more friendly to work with, and a lot cheaper. Jim S

Last edited:

plantman

Bob: If you have a problem finding what you need, let me know. I have a piece of Black Ebony heartwood from Garbon, Africa in my collection that is as black as the Devil's soul. I started with a piece 2" X 4" X 4 foot long 30 years ago, and have only used about 6 inches of it so far. I do not think I will live long enough to use up the rest making pulls, handles, and pens. Would be nice if I could cut the lengths into 6"s for easier shipping. PM me with your sizes limits and address. What was your first born's name again ?? From up over. Jim S

Top Bottom