Pen Blank Giveaway

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MDWine

So, Carl Gagliardi passed away some time ago, and we cleaned out the shop for the family.

As a result, I have about 100 various pen blanks, a few kits, and a bunch of miscellaneous pen parts (nibs/centerbands/refills/etc). I was going to offer them to new turners here on the site.

The blanks are varied, many are nice pieces with some color and figure. There are those that don't have a "lot" of character, however. There are blanks like cherry and walnut that are not particularly spectacular, but still "good wood". Most of the blanks/woods are identified, but some are not. I think there are a few (2 or 3) acrylics as well.

It looks like I can fit about 12 to 14 blanks into that small flat rate shipping box.

My question to you is "is it worth $6.80 to get a mystery box of wood and parts?" (I don't remember those flat rate boxes being so expensive to ship!!! geez!)

It looks like I can fill about 7, maybe 8 boxes.

So then, my FIRST AND ONLY QUESTION at this point is "Is it worth the money?" to those that fit in the 'I need some practice wood" category. I want mostly to help those that are new, or financially challenged. (absolutely no judgment on any count)

Let me know your thoughts. If there is interest, I will THEN open up to a few at a time so that I am sure I have a box to send.

UPDATE: So the consensus is that the cost is worth the experience, so I am sending private messages to the new folks. I will post a status as I fill boxes and label them.

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

stonepecker

I would gladly pay postage for a box of blanks. It is the mystery of not knowing what you receive. Sometimes I get wood I have already turned, but there can always be that one or two blanks I have never seen before. That is what excites me.

taz442

I agree, it would be totally worth it. As a new turner on a budget getting blanks for just the shipping cost is a great help to build our skill.

wfsteadman

would be interested in any of the pen parts and glad to pay postage as well :)

oops, just saw you were including some parts :)

Last edited:

MDWine

I have everything boxed up and ready to go. I'll slap labels on'm tonight and hopefully get to the PO tomorrow... (maybe wifey can help)

Each box has at least 12 blanks, a pen kit or two, and a bag of miscellaneous pen parts. I boxed everything up and they've been "shuffled" so I don't know who is getting what, but they're all pretty much the same.

ROB: see your PM about shipping to Canada!

acmaclaren

Angi the Maker
I'm new to turning. I'd gladly pay the postage to get some blanks. They would really come in handy. I'm participating in the Freedom Pen Project.

Skie_M

I have everything boxed up and ready to go. I'll slap labels on'm tonight and hopefully get to the PO tomorrow... (maybe wifey can help)

Each box has at least 12 blanks, a pen kit or two, and a bag of miscellaneous pen parts. I boxed everything up and they've been "shuffled" so I don't know who is getting what, but they're all pretty much the same.

ROB: see your PM about shipping to Canada!

Hey, before you run off and pay shipping on all those small flat rate boxes ...

The priority mail ENVELOPE goes out over the same time as the small flat rate boxes, but it costs less. Not only that, but you can just take the small flat rate box and just STUFF IT IN THE ENVELOPE, which will double the protection and still get it there in the same amount of time. If I recall correctly, I think it's $5.45 for anywhere in the contiguous lower 48 states ...

MDWine

Unfortunately, the envelope cost was 6.45. Wifey took the boxes to the P.O., but had her 92 yo mother, so she didn't stand around to repackage. Not really saving much...

So, these boxes were shipped today, I would expect everyone to receive in a couple of days!

I HAVE TWO MORE BOXES I CAN SHIP. ANYONE WANT TO CLAIM? SEND ME A PM!

MDWine

I have two boxes of blanks (12/14 blanks per box) which includes a pen kit or two and some miscellaneous parts that I will send to any new user. The contents of the box are free, you just pay shipping (6.80).

Post your interest in the thread (so others can keep count too) and send me a PM and we'll work out the details.

Skie_M

Hmmm ... I guess they raised their prices!

I forgot to mention that someone round here knew of a trick where you could just purchase the postage online and it was like 30 - 45 cents cheaper or something? Something to remember for another round of mailings, I guess.

MDWine

OK everyone! I have takers for the last two boxes.

For those that got boxes, just say a little "thanks Carl", it was he that provided the materials to you, I was just the "agent".

Thanks everyone, and Thanks Carl!

RobS

Thank you to Carl and his wife for sharing. Thank you Michael and your wife for the effort.
Box came in Friday it was well worth it.

taz442

Michael - Received the box yesterday but did not get a chance to open it until today. It felt a little like Christmas. A big thank you to you and your wife in taking the time to make this gift available.

"Thank you Carl"

Rick

wfsteadman

I am away on business but from what my son tells me the box arrived safely. Looking forward to getting home and opening it up :)

Top Bottom