Pen-bases for purchase, to be lacquer decorated

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

razmaztaz

Hi, I'm new to the forum. My primary interest is in vintage Japanese lacquer decorated pens and pencils - Namiki, Dunhill-Namiki, and Pilot in particular. I'm very new to pen turning but the craftsmanship appeals to me and I want to learn more about it! I've read through some of the threads and its all vey exciting stuff, to see what can be done! In the short term however I'm keen to see if there are any pen turners from whom I can purchase base pens which would then be decorated in lacquer using modern designs - this enquiry on behalf of a lacquer artist associate in Japan. Please let me know, if there is anyone in the community who is interested...! Best regard, Maz

thewishman

Hi Maz, welcome from the USA. Are there any materials or pen styles that your friend is looking for? Does he want the pens to be assembled, or would he rather do his work on the pen parts before they are assembled?

razmaztaz

Hi Chris, Thanks for your interest! We are novices at this and open to suggestions! In terms of design we are thinking along the lines of a large 'Balance' shape such as Montblanc 149, or Namiki Emperor, without embellishments or clip, so as to show off the lacquer work at its best. For material, whatever is 'standard' by way of plastic or 'resin', ebonite preferred if its still being used. Regarding assembly, again we are novices, but we think an eyedropper filler to reduce the number of components, and sourcing nibs and feeds from Bock, for example. I will need to check with the lacquer artist if there is a preference re assembly. If you wish, please send me an estimate of cost for a small number (5) and a larger number (50) to my email address.

chriselle

I'm in Japan...he can contact me directly (in Japanese) if he wishes. I do my own urushi pens as well but I could supply him with a small number of raw ebonite bodies. PM me for further details if interested.

Chris L.

Top Bottom