Nice fountain pen kits for my parents

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rachgard

I'm looking to make my parents some really nice fountain pens if possible and am trying to figure out which pen kits feel the best after they're made. I want them to feel like they can use them everyday if they so choose, so even though I'm tempted, probably no silver sets. If you have fountain pen kits that you'd like to sell, please let me know, I'd like to buy them. Also, if you have any good information on what might be the nicest set for some incredibly supportive and kind folks, I'm all ears.

Thank you!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

As a kit, the Jr Emperor would be my recommendation as the nicest kit for a family gift that I know about and that is "kind of reasonably" priced and, I think fairly readily available, ... a family gift of the significance that you are talking about.

The Jr Emperor is made by Dayacom, a Taiwan company that is known for the quality of their pen kits. . Exotic Blanks has a listing for this kit at about $70, but unfortunately they are presently out of stock. . I know that some of our members have made and posted their work with this kit. . Some may have these kits, may be willing to part with them, and might respond to your request. . If I recall correctly, I think Exotic Blanks has promised to restock this kit in the fairly near future. . You could phone and talk to Dawn or Ed to find out more. . Phoning is by far the best means of communicating with those extremely busy people, although an email message might work. . It could even happen that Ed might even see your thread and respond here. . ExoticBlanks.com is one of the "corners" of IAP and they have their own section on this website. . You may already know about them.

So, this is just my opinion, and a few comments. . You can view the kit at the Exotic Blanks website or on the Dayacom website which is a little hard to navigate.

I cannot think of a kit that I would prefer to make and give to my parents.

Recently, within the last 2 years or so, there have been other nice "Jr Series" pen kits introduced which are cheaper. The nicest of those, again in my opinion, is the Jr Antony. You might like to also consider the Jr Aaron. There is also a Jr Harold, a Jr George, and a couple of other Jr Something kits, besides the older Jr Gent and the Jr Statesman kits which have been around for quite a number of years. . The Jr Gent is very basic and the Jr Statesman is much nicer.

Unfortunately, I cannot recommend the Jr Majestic, sold by PSI, nearly as highly as the other kits I have named. . That, of course, is an expression of my personal opinion based on my experiences.

I hope this information may be helpful to you. . Don't hesitate to ask for more info if you wish. You can PM me if that suits, or send me an email. . And others here probably will be happy to comment and help, also. . One member who knows everything there is to know about the Jr Emperor and the, slightly bigger, full-size Emperor, is Dale Penkala (member Dalepenkala). . He uses a lot of them.

Last edited:

jennera

Hi Rachel! I don't have as much experience with fountain pens as Mal but one kit that my daughter has enjoyed is the Triton kits. We purchase them from Exotic Blanks who has one available that comes with both the rollberball and fountain pen tips so the pen can be used either way. The kits sell between $12 - 30 depending on what plating and options you choose.

Here is a link: https://www.exoticblanks.com/triton-pen-kits/

Unfortunately, we do not have any to trade as they tend to be given away or sold pretty quickly.

Jennifer

Curly

The El Grande/Churchill pens are lightweight and plain looking so allow the turner to showoff beautiful blanks to advantage and are comfortable for long writing sessions. If you want a little more bling the Cambridge is the same basic pen as the El Grande with fancier furniture. They are generally less expensive than the other kits mentioned thus far. Bear Tooth Woods have them.

Top Bottom