Wanted Nice fountain pen kits for my parents - International Association of Penturners
     International Association of Penturners
Pens for Service Members

Support The IAP

Go Back   International Association of Penturners > IAP Marketplace > Trades, Gifts, & Wants
  Forgot Password
Register FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Trades, Gifts, & Wants This forum is for no cost (postage OK) transactions. All for sale items go in the for sale forum.

Logged on members can hide ads!

Welcome to penturners.org!

You've found the home of The International Association of Penturners. You are currently viewing our site as a guest, which gives you limited access to view discussions, photos, and library articles.

Consider joining our community today. You'll have full access to all of our content, be able to enter our contests, find local chapters near you, and post your questions and share your experience with our members all over the world.

Membership is completely free!!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2018, 10:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Photos: 0

Default Nice fountain pen kits for my parents

Iím looking to make my parents some really nice fountain pens if possible and am trying to figure out which pen kits feel the best after theyíre made. I want them to feel like they can use them everyday if they so choose, so even though Iím tempted, probably no silver sets. If you have fountain pen kits that youíd like to sell, please let me know, Iíd like to buy them. Also, if you have any good information on what might be the nicest set for some incredibly supportive and kind folks, Iím all ears.

Thank you!
Rachgard is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-23-2018, 10:54 PM   #2 (permalink)

Forgot to say, I can also trade some of the desert ironwood blanks if you would like. Itís highly figured and Birdseye and it makes a beautiful pen.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app
Old 02-24-2018, 12:17 AM   #3 (permalink)

Photos: 67

As a kit, the Jr Emperor would be my recommendation as the nicest kit for a family gift that I know about and that is "kind of reasonably" priced and, I think fairly readily available, ... a family gift of the significance that you are talking about.

The Jr Emperor is made by Dayacom, a Taiwan company that is known for the quality of their pen kits. . Exotic Blanks has a listing for this kit at about $70, but unfortunately they are presently out of stock. . I know that some of our members have made and posted their work with this kit. . Some may have these kits, may be willing to part with them, and might respond to your request. . If I recall correctly, I think Exotic Blanks has promised to restock this kit in the fairly near future. . You could phone and talk to Dawn or Ed to find out more. . Phoning is by far the best means of communicating with those extremely busy people, although an email message might work. . It could even happen that Ed might even see your thread and respond here. . ExoticBlanks.com is one of the "corners" of IAP and they have their own section on this website. . You may already know about them.

So, this is just my opinion, and a few comments. . You can view the kit at the Exotic Blanks website or on the Dayacom website which is a little hard to navigate.

I cannot think of a kit that I would prefer to make and give to my parents.

Recently, within the last 2 years or so, there have been other nice "Jr Series" pen kits introduced which are cheaper. The nicest of those, again in my opinion, is the Jr Antony. You might like to also consider the Jr Aaron. There is also a Jr Harold, a Jr George, and a couple of other Jr Something kits, besides the older Jr Gent and the Jr Statesman kits which have been around for quite a number of years. . The Jr Gent is very basic and the Jr Statesman is much nicer.

Unfortunately, I cannot recommend the Jr Majestic, sold by PSI, nearly as highly as the other kits I have named. . That, of course, is an expression of my personal opinion based on my experiences.

I hope this information may be helpful to you. . Don't hesitate to ask for more info if you wish. You can PM me if that suits, or send me an email. . And others here probably will be happy to comment and help, also. . One member who knows everything there is to know about the Jr Emperor and the, slightly bigger, full-size Emperor, is Dale Penkala (member Dalepenkala). . He uses a lot of them.

Kids rule the world !!! .... eventually if not already !

Last edited by magpens; 02-24-2018 at 12:32 AM.
magpens is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Advertisement
Old 02-24-2018, 09:51 AM   #4 (permalink)

Tried to pm you, but it seems you have exceeded your storage space! Lol! Youíre a popular guy!

Old 02-24-2018, 10:07 AM   #5 (permalink)

Photos: 23

Hi Rachel! I don't have as much experience with fountain pens as Mal but one kit that my daughter has enjoyed is the Triton kits. We purchase them from Exotic Blanks who has one available that comes with both the rollberball and fountain pen tips so the pen can be used either way. The kits sell between $12 - 30 depending on what plating and options you choose.

Here is a link: https://www.exoticblanks.com/triton-pen-kits/

Unfortunately, we do not have any to trade as they tend to be given away or sold pretty quickly.

Jennifer

Proud Mom of two young penturners
jennera is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 02-24-2018, 10:30 AM   #6 (permalink)

Photos: 1

The El Grande/Churchill pens are lightweight and plain looking so allow the turner to showoff beautiful blanks to advantage and are comfortable for long writing sessions. If you want a little more bling the Cambridge is the same basic pen as the El Grande with fancier furniture. They are generally less expensive than the other kits mentioned thus far. Bear Tooth Woods have them.
Old 02-24-2018, 10:58 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thank you guys all so much! This is exactly the info I was looking for. Exotic blanks is going to be getting a large order from me for sure!!

Old 02-24-2018, 09:08 PM   #8 (permalink)

Sedona Fountain Pen and jr gent I or II don't rem .will trade if you still need them just pm me and I will look at what I have
glenspens is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Related Content
Logged on members can hide ads