Midi lathe Hollowing tool New

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

southernclay

Brand New Acme Tools, hollowing tool for Midi lathe. I got this in a buyout and don't have a midi lathe so for those who do here you go.

Price tag on the bag is $139.99, it's a few years old. My understanding is that these are one off tools made by a guy in SC, the guys phone number is on the back, haven't called him since I can't use the tool but could be helpful for buyer. The set includes the tool, toolrest, bit you can sharpen to your preference. Cool setup. If anyone knows anything more about this or Acme Tools feel free to chime in.

Shipping will have to be in a LFRB game box. No idea what to ask but $100 shipped CONUS only seems like a great deal. Paypal, friends and family preferred. Please post here to claim.

I will be posting up some other items for sale today or tomorrow but wanted this one to have it's own thread since so much info. Reduced, $80 shipped!

Let me know if any questions thanks!

I still have some of the kits, clips and boxes in thesethreads, make some offers on these! Plenty of room in the box for more stuff! :wink:

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f156/pen-kits-2-pencil-kits-mostly-euros-138018/

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f156/kits-boxes-blanks-clips-tubes-bushings-136929/

Attachments

• IMG_3712.JPG
    IMG_3712.JPG
    104.9 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_3713.JPG
    IMG_3713.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_3714.JPG
    IMG_3714.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

southernclay

I don't think it is exactly. I don't see a spring. I don't really know how it works, won't to keep it unopened so haven't dug around to assemble it. The guy who bought it never used it either so wasn't able to get much from him. If you or anyone else wants the phone number for the maker feel free to shoot me a PM.

Charlie_W

It appears to be a hollowing tool that utilizes the "Torque Arm" as I will call it. While the cutter is inside the hollowed piece. The twist on the cutter up through the straight handle would make it hard to hold onto.
The arm clamped to the shaft rides on the tool rest towards the front of the lathe and takes the torque or twist from the tool handle(and you) and dumps this force onto the front end of the tool rest.
As long as you have a long enough tool rest, all is good.
With this tool, you would probably need to make a handle or place it in a stock handle.

The newer Easy Wood Hollowing tools have a curved neck and the cutter is still in line with the tool shaft eliminating a lot of the tendency for the tool to twist. Also, the wider flat shaft help with this.

Hope this helps.

southernclay

Thanks Charlie, and I think you nailed it. Good point on the handle, there isn't one that would need to be made, easy to tackle.

The tool rest point makes a lot of sense, this one is slightly under 12" measuring through the bag but is off center with 7" approx. off one side and 4.5" on other so should be good there I'm guessing.

I have some spindle material that would be suitable for a handle if anyone needs one thrown in let me know.

Thanks again Charlie!

southernclay

It does Ken, I think it's pretty exact. Good find. I assume this guy adds the tool rest as a way to solve the issues Charlie mentioned.
Thanks!

That's a lot of good info guys. Looks like his tool is $85 so with that and the tool rest added to the package if anyone is interested let me know. With the tool rest and shipping costs seems pretty well priced but if you disagree let me know! : )

Charlie_W

The offset post tool rest will let the cutting tool itself be over or closer to the post helping to eliminate the vibration encountered by being out on the end of a tool rest. The torque arm would be over on the longer side of the rest.

Edit: In making a handle, always use a ferrule to reinforce the front end of the handle.

Last edited:

southernclay

Sure can, it's at work but have calipers there I can check through the bag, not much info on packaging though. I'll post it up in the am!

endacoz

I think I will pass on this for now. But that has me putting hollowing higher up on my learn to turn list!

Learn to Turn.

Peppermills
Yarn Bowl
Captive Rings
Hollowing
segmenting

southernclay

Thanks Ethan for letting me know.

Ken after looking at that link again it's the same end but his is small with no arm made for doing ornaments, I was just looking on my phone and missed that.

Charlie_W

Warren, I copied the pic in the link and cropped a bit.
In the pic, the tool is set up for turning in reverse. The torque arm will be out behind the lathe.
With this setup, you may be able to see inside the piece while you are cutting.

I like his angles handle design!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 162

southernclay

The reversing feature is cool, and agree on the handle. If you click back on the link and select the tool on the main page it shows another view, really cool tool design. I've never seen a handle used like that in turning.

Top Bottom